Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I know after market oil filter companies (K&N) advertise higher oil filtration and higher oil flow.
My question is that, Doesn't higher flow, reduce the oil pressure needed to reach all the moving engine parts?

Higher flow= less pressure?????

Many Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
A higher flow filter should act less like a choke point in the lubrication circuit, allowing more oil under higher pressure (less post-filter pressure drop) to get to the parts that need it. Check the Hall of Wisdom, I think Shazaam did a write up on this. If not, I'm sure he will ;)

In practice, I don't know how much affect, if any, modern filters will have on oil pressure within the circuit. I'd be more concerned about filtering ability of the medium.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Indeed, the oil filter does not determine system oil pressure. There is usually something of a regulator on the output side of the oil pump. Generally and ball & spring affair in the main oil gallery.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re-oil pressure vs flow

Indeed, the oil filter does not determine system oil pressure. There is usually something of a regulator on the output side of the oil pump. Generally and ball & spring affair in the main oil gallery.
Please correct me if i am wrong.

Oil pump>oil filter>engine parts.....and back to the oil pump.
But, any resistance in the system can affect the flow and pressure. In this case if the oil pump pumps the oil into the oil filter and the filter has less resistance, then the oil pressure must drop upstream regardless of any other resistance before or after the resistance(high flow oil filter).

·
Registered
3,642 Posts

But, any resistance in the system can affect the flow and pressure. In this case if the oil pump pumps the oil into the oil filter and the filter has less resistance, then the oil pressure must drop upstream regardless of any other resistance before or after the resistance(high flow oil filter).

Think of the filter in terms of an electrical resistor... assume before the resistor voltage is 12 volts; after the resistor is 10. If there is less resistance (higher flow) there would be more electricty (oil) to power (lubricate) the device.

There's alot of fluid dynamics going on in the system, consider different oil viscosities from not only the rated oil weight but temp. differentials within the system. In the end, a higher flow filter will not cause less pressure or volume of oil supply to the parts. In the event that the filter is clogges, or causes too much resistance, there is a bypass circuit that will supply unfiltered oil to your engine.

Just beware of how that higher flow is achieved... either by more efficient media (paper/cellulose vs. fiberglass vs. stainless mesh); More porosity (bigger pores=less filtration) or more surface area of the filter element.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts

See Bella749's answer and then also consider that the filter has FAR less resistance to oil flow than the places that the oil eventually goes to....

Let's say that the oil pump is pumping into a 1' diameter pipe going to the filter....

the filter is a 5 gallon can with 10 sq ft of window-screen as the filter medium....

the filter output goes into another 1" diameter pipe (the oil gallery) which has 6 holes along it's length. Each hole is 1/16" diameter, and all 6 together flow 3/4 of a quart per minute, and they each spray the oil onto some bearings in the motor.

At the end of the pipe is a 1/2" hole covered by a 3/4" ball bearing (pressure relief valve) that is held in place by a 30 lb spring.

The oil then free falls somewhere inside the engine cases, down into the sump where the oil=pump pick-up sucks it back into the pump.

If the pump puts out 1 quart per minute at up to 60 psi.... and you accept that a 1" pipe can carry 2 quarts per minute you will understand that:

1. the 1" pipes contribute no resistance to oil flow.

2. the oil filter is so large that it already also provides essentially no restriction (thus no contribution to oil pressure) to the system because it is designed to be too big to do that. It can only reduce down-stream pressure/volume if it gets plugged with crud.
It can increase the pressure from the pump to the filter however, if it gets plugged. In fact, up here in the great white north, it is not unknown for an engine to blow up it's oil filter in the winter if the oil is too heavy and dirty when it's -40F.

3. the 6 "oil delivery holes" produce most of the restriction to the oil flow from the oil pump while passing only 3/4 qt per minute.

4. the oil-pressure relief valve will be passing the other 1/4 quart of oil all the time (given that the 6 holes can't flow 1 quart per minute, and thus maintaining a constant 30 psi internal oil pressure. This allows for the oil filter to get dirty enough to restrict the through-put up to 25% (1/4 qt per min) before the engine sees a drop in internal oil pressure.

Hope this helps.... it kinda made me dizzy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts