Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles do you have on your SF 1098? I've got a friend who know folks with 60K :)eek:) on their Ducs, but what about these race-spec 1098 engines? Anybody over 30K yet??

And what's your secret to caring for these "Beauty & The Beast" twin-personality machines? ;)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't know about the SF1098 engine in specific, but for Ducatis in general, I advise the following:
1) Ride it as much as you can.
2) Do the maintenance at least roughly on schedule.
3) Be careful about your modifications. Consider what you are doing, and use quality parts.
4) Don't let it sit and rot. If you have to store it (say, for winters) prep it decently.
5) Ride it some more.

I've seen a couple of dozen Ducatis over 100K miles.
Mostly '90's 2V aircooled bikes, but a few ST models, and a couple 916/996 bikes.
I've seen two Ducs over 200K miles; Gary Eagan's ST4, and my M900 Monster.

PhilB

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about the SF1098 engine in specific, but for Ducatis in general, I advise the following:
1) Ride it as much as you can.
2) Do the maintenance at least roughly on schedule.
3) Be careful about your modifications. Consider what you are doing, and use quality parts.
4) Don't let it sit and rot. If you have to store it (say, for winters) prep it decently.
5) Ride it some more.

I've seen a couple of dozen Ducatis over 100K miles.
Mostly '90's 2V aircooled bikes, but a few ST models, and a couple 916/996 bikes.
I've seen two Ducs over 200K miles; Gary Eagan's ST4, and my M900 Monster.

PhilB
:surprise:

Will do my best to comply with the above advice, particularly items 1 & 5!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think the SF1098 is one of the coolest bikes Ducati has made. It's on my shortlist, for if/when I ever need a new bike.

PhilB

·
Registered
780 Posts
...and going....and going...and going

I'm at 30k miles on my monster 821...would have been over 50 if I hadn't been bogged down with valve issues...the biggest expense of owning one are the tires...3k miles a set adds up...everything else comes down to parts, I shop everything from startwin.com and they roughly go half of the cost of a stateside dealer...after adjustments of the valves have run to their limit a tear-down to de-gunk the valves and piston is the next stop...after that I'm expecting pistons and cylinders somewhere hopefully nearer the 100k mile...I'll let you know when I get there

Attachments

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I think Oahu fighter pilot had close to 30 on his before he sold it.Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Close to 29k miles on it in the five years that I owned it...bought it after I retired and rode it every chance I got.

Bike was maintained per the manual with oil changes twice as often as the book called for.

Only real problems were with the dash which was replaced under warranty at around 1k miles and the TPS which failed just after I sold it and was replaced with a unit from California Cycleworks.

Bike is still around but not ridden much...currently it's on craigslist with about 31.5 on the clock.

I loved my F1098 and only sold it because I'm getting up there in age and wanted to try other bikes while my faculties are still intact...:)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
37000km - all original except tires and chain/sprockets. Brakes still have 60%. Change oil every 2500-3000km. Never pulled a wheelie except under hard 3rd gear acceleration - been at rev limiter in top gear more than once. Nothing wrong with high revs as long as there is load on the engine. Fingers crossed - pulls like a train, no leaks. Best bike I've ever owned - period.

·
Registered
73 Posts
31000 km's on my 2006 999s, summer & winter (ab)use, trackdays, short rides, long rides, top speed (Germany) rides, etc. Every 10.000 km's standard maintenance, electrical issue: rectifier and start relais changed, and ohlins front axle clamps replaced due to crack (probably over tightened the clamp bolts) no issues yet

·
Registered
73 Posts
31000 km's on my 2006 999s, summer & winter (ab)use, trackdays, short rides, long rides, top speed (Germany) rides, etc. Every 10.000 km's standard maintenance, electrical issue: rectifier and start relais changed, and ohlins front axle clamps replaced due to crack (probably over tightened the clamp bolts) no issues yet
Not a Sf, but testastretta engine...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
47k on mine, nothing to declare.

Best mod was installing MBP collets at the first valve service. Only touched the shims 30k later and only a few were out of specs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
47k on mine, nothing to declare.

Best mod was installing MBP collets at the first valve service. Only touched the shims 30k later and only a few were out of specs.
Never heard of MBP and now I am looking to take my bike across the country to quebec haha ;) Thank for that!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Never heard of MBP and now I am looking to take my bike across the country to quebec haha ;) Thank for that!
Well i'm lucky to have guy martin "close" (well, 500km away) but i hope i never need to visit him (like, for a blown engine) :)

As for the collets Mike at EMSDUC can sell you the collets and modified opener shims (the closers stay the same) and any duc mechanic (or yourself) can install them.

If you're a high mileage rider they are a must. Only needed 2 valves adjustment in 47k miles, and i don't expect any adjustment before another 2 seasons (20-25k miles).

But if you're a poser with 6k miles on a 6 yrs old bike you don't need those :laugh:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts