Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I've sold my Monster, I'm in the market for an ST3.

A couple of the ones that I'm looking at have around 40,000 to 47,000 kilometres (not miles) on them.

I'm making sure they have had the belts changed recently, but my concern is that is too high mileage for a Ducati.

Thoughts, experiences on bikes of this mileage?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,684 Posts
25,000 miles too high? Not at all. As long as the maintenance has been completed as scheduled, it should be just fine.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
High mileage for a purchase? Double of what you are looking at. Even then, for the right price, it might be worth it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
37,000 miles on my 2004. Runs perfect and the bike has been built proof. Never left me stranded.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not high at all. To hold out for a 10-20k (KM) model (garage queen) has its own problems of not being ridden. S

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Far more important is how the bike was maintained. Frequent changes of high quality oil is the variable I look for. It should be changed on both mileage and time.

These engines can approach 100,000 miles if properly maintained. And then a proper overhaul will keep it going far longer. Plenty of miles are not always a negative. Ducati engines appear to age better if used frequently is my current belief.

I just bought this 04 St4s last March, instead of a new one (multi). I'm more concerned about the long term maintainability of these new electronic wonder bikes.

bob

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Ducati ST engines are not even fully broken in until 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Act now or hold your peace.

If you're serious, and you act quickly, you can get the absolute best model of the ST series (drum roll) the ST4s in BBG.

Here's an '02 and it has a few goodies (carbon cans) and 40k miles (around 64,000 km).

As you chose NOT to include any clue whatsoever as to where you live, I must conclude it is in the US where the subject offering is located!!

He's asking $3,900 OBO!!!. I'd be tempted, but I already have two.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Spor...0c546ed7:g:E0cAAOSwI-BWNk~k&item=172005551831

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
399 Posts
So far just regular ( complete ) services on time or 5000km .... no troubles , keeps getting better actually ... 42500 km .... seems like it is just now settling in ( '07 ST3s ) .... I am looking forward to many more km on this one ... I agree with most here , that bike you are looking at is not high mileage .... just make sure good service history ...
Craig

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
399 Posts
Yes it is ... and low mileage ...
Craig

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, sorry about the location thing - Have fixed that up now.

I am in Australia, and have narrowed down 3 bikes to consider;

a 2005 with 23,000kms that is around $9,500 to $10,000. From a non-Ducati dealer and service history may be questionable.

a 2006 with 43,000kms that is around $10,000 to $10,500. From a private seller who did the belts and major service at 38,000kms.

a 2007 with 23,000kms that will probably cost me around $10,750 to $11,250. This is from a Ducati dealer who says it has full service history and they have just done the belts in their workshop. This dealer is about 15 to 16 hours drive away, so I may have to buy the bike sight unseen.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
From our perspective in US, very high prices. But you're a half world away.

Could buy a US model, fly here, vacation and ship back for close to the pp of the one's you're considering.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From our perspective in US, very high prices. But you're a half world away.

Could buy a US model, fly here, vacation and ship back for close to the pp of the one's you're considering.
Yeah, that is pretty much the prices down here.

So as a point of reference, how much would a 2007 Monster 695 be worth over there?

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Why are you considering a 3 when you can get a 4s for the same money?
Oh, I wouldn't consider anything under a 100,000km as high kilometres as long a the service history is good.

Craig

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why are you considering a 3 when you can get a 4s for the same money?
Oh, I wouldn't consider anything under a 100,000km as high kilometres as long a the service history is good.

Craig
The 2005 onwards 4S's are all $13,500 to $14,500. I don't like the older shape with the oval headlight. And I like that the 3 has a bit more low end torque, sacrificed by top end power of course, but I'm ok with that.

My max is about $11k on road including stamps etc....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts