Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning :). I'm new to the entire world of Ducati and am considering buying a 2008 Hypermotard 1100s. The bike looks great (have only been sent pics of it) and the price is good but it has 33,000 miles!. I can't say I've ever even seen a Duc with that many miles, much less see one for sale. The bike is in Texas near Fort Worth, which is about 8 hours from me so I'd like some quality input from people who know before I drive that far to look at it. It's for sale at a dealership and they say that they are going to do all of the ducati maintenance before I would get it.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have been seeing a bunch of Hypers for sale lately with low prices and miles, some really good deals on CL in the Tampa area. Choose wisely but 33k is not terrible on an air-cooled ds 1100 motor.

t_bare

Reactions: wmfleet2

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I am trying to remember but I think Gary Egan ran a multistrada 1000 in the iron butt and hit some high miles. I see plenty of Ducati's with 50,000 miles and on my dyno they often make the same as they did at 10000. Any time you run a vehicle at higher mileage you run the risk of simply finding parts that were not of average manufacture, there can fail and will need changing. There is no way to know if a part will fail early (which is why new vehicles have a warranty) so it is crap shoot from day one.

Maintenance history and care would be more important to me if I were shopping. Buy a good one with history and it will often be better in the long run even if you pay a little more money. The design is sound so I would have no problem expecting the motor to hit 100,000 miles if cared for. Expect to wear out some things like valve guides and clutches but overall for the right bike that mileage would not scare me in the least but given that I am a mechanic by trade . I do not mind a project but like you do not want the cost or the down time.

With 80ish HP in the bottom end and similar build/components to a superbike making much more power I see built in reliability. Watch out for neglect (old nasty oil, shot chains) and malice ( someone tring to cover up neglect.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If it has been cared for the mileage should be ok but as t_bare said there are a lot of low mile
Hypers out there for good prices if the "miles bother you". The Hyper 1100 is a very different
bike than most people are use to they seem to sit or trade hands quite often, then there are
those of us wouldn't think of selling our's. Even most people who sell them miss them buy one
again or will tell you it was the most fun bike they ever owned.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I adore mine! Stay with the "S" model; the wheels, suspension, and brakes are worth it. The carbon fiber bling is cool too. If you can find one with a race seat, exhaust, and CAMS you will be way ahead of the curve.

t_bare

·
Administrator
12,892 Posts
Welcome to Ducati.ms! We are super happy to have you here.

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section, that can help if there might be someone local to you give a hand or find new friends to take a ride.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Take a look in the Hyper Sub Forum too

You can post this same question in the air cooled Hypermotard sub forum to get additional feedback. Personally I'd look for something with less miles, mainly from a general wear and tear condition reason. A lower mileage candidate will likely have fewer rock dings, road grime buildup and that sort of thing. I agree with the previous posters though about the engine/drive train reliability. You mention the attractive price, if this works with your budget then I would pull the trigger to get the Italian experience started. Good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I believe the guy running NEDOC or one of the moderators has an air cooled hyper with 40k+ on it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I believe the guy running NEDOC or one of the moderators has an air cooled hyper with 40k+ on it.
Yes, he does.

I've seen about 20 Ducatis with over 100K miles, mostly 2v aircooled, some STs and 996s.
I've known of 3 with over 200K miles; Gary Eagan's ST4, another ST4, and my own late lamented M900, which had 265K on it when it was mashed by a hit-and-run driver last year. It was still running fine (about due for a second replacement of piston rings), an I'm sure 30K would have been easily achievable.

PhilB

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
33k isn't that much. My Hyper only has 16k on it, but its not my main bike. My Multi 1200 (testastretta motor, not a desmodue) had 56k when stolen. My 900SS has 26k on it and its been some hard miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts