Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a 749 as my daily commute at the moment. 35kms per day, 4 days per week, about 48 weeks per year. So 6720kms per year just on commuting to work wind rain or shine. (but since I live in NSW australia, that's pretty much 300 plus days a year of blue skys and sunshine :cool:). Then I've got my leisure kms to go on it as well. I've got about 1500kms ride planned at the end of August already for example.

Anyway, What fantastic mileages have people racked up on 748/749/999's etc? And what's the service intervals supposed to be? Very new to the 749 still. All I know is, belts and full service have just been performed prior to my buying it with all the receipts etc.

I've got about 27,000kms currently.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My S4RS (a 998 Testastretta engine very similar to the 999) had 20k miles or 32k km. Ran like a top when I sold it and the new owner will enjoy it for years to come, but he has four Ducatis, so....

My current MTS 1200 (also a Testastretta, albeit a later one) has 36k miles or 57k km (if my math is correct). Runs like a top.

I'm not sure you can expect 100,000 miles from a high-output Ducati engine, but I could be wrong. Honestly, I don't think a lot of people put high miles on them. The Multistrada owners would probably be your best bet for high miles.

There is one member who put 259,000 miles (414k km) on his air-cooled Monster 900, and he is an inspiration to us all.

Subscribing and hoping to read some other inspiring tales.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay that's the kind of info I'm after, I'll probably be hoping to get it up into the forties or fifties kms with just regular servicing.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I've got a 18.2k mile 998R; regular oil changes and normal maintenance and it's still running strong. Oil is crystal clear, no weird noises. Hoping to get some more miles out of it before I have to do anything to the engine :) I'd love to get it to 30k miles in the next few years, also commuting to work most days of the week + weekend miles. I feel like a well used 998R is something to behold, instead of sitting in my office :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I am the guy who had 265K miles (425K km) on my 1993 M900. It got squashed by a minivan last year, or I'd still be putting more miles on it. I'm currently on a 1995 M900 that only has about 30K miles (about 50K km) on it, so it's just now starting to hit its prime.

I have seen about 20 Ducatis with over 100K miles (160K km) on them. Most of these were 2v aircooled (SS or Monster), but several were ST's and a few were 916/996-engined bikes. I have seen/heard of 3 Ducatis with over 200K miles (320K km) each. One being my M900, the other two were both ST4's.

So they'll do it, if you do the maintenance decently, and you don't let them sit and rot.

PhilB

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay that's the kind of info I'm after, I'll probably be hoping to get it up into the forties or fifties kms with just regular servicing.
I've just hit 40K km on my 2014 Multi GT and, 'touch wood', it hasn't skipped a beat. I just do the basic maintenance stuff and leave the major servicing to the experts.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought my Multistrada with 35,000 miles on it. It had been serviced at my favorite dealer, AMS Ducati Dallas, since new.

The mech at the selling dealer (whom I trust implicitly, individually and collectively) said that I could easily expect to double that mileage without difficulty.

Now I realize that 70,000 miles is not a high number, and I will achieve that number effortlessly.

But I trust that this Ducati (as the previous six or so) will deliver the expected reliability.

I've been riding a long time, call it 1969 or so. Been through a lot of bikes, some reliable, some not so much.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm on a 2010 848, so a bit newer than the Superbikes you're referring to (and perhaps a little more reliable? Not sure on that - others will confirm), but I'm nearing 60,000 kilometres on it.

Mechanically it's been trouble-free, with only some electrical gremlins that I'm trying to squash (stator).

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Got a mate with a 750SS, 130k on it, never been apart, also know a woman with a diavel that has clocked over 100k, only issue was a fuel pump.

Don't skimp on servicing it but oil and filter is the key, change it regularly and yourself in between services and it will run with no issues.

Using it Daily is better for it than not using it at all and really, you paid for it, use the bloody thing, resale will be shit anyway, no one ever sells a bike and says "gee that went well, i got more than i wanted!"
Kinda like dating a hot girl and not shagging her so she's ready to go with her next fella, don't make sense!

·
Administrator
12,896 Posts
My ST4s has about 33,000 miles and has had no major issues. It has been a fantastic machine since new and I still love riding it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There's a gal on 899 forum who, the last I know of, has put over 75,000miles on her baby Panigale. I only have 15,000 on mine.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
There are some high mileage superbikes that have been identified.

fanj400 recorded his trip in his 916 to Prudhoe Bay, after putting more than 100K miles on the machine. https://www.ducati.ms/forums/22-tra.../672945-ducati-916-prudhoe-bay-deadhorse.html

I seem to remember MarkST (who hasn't been active since 2015) describing a gathering in the UK in which there was a 916 rider with more than 100K on the odometer. I think he gave a screen shot of an odometer with 110,000+ miles on it, if I recall correctly (don't bet the farm on that one). I remember it from wondering how anyone would ride a 916 for that distance.

Phil, of course, holds the record here with his 900 Monster, but I'm sure that there are other obsessed guys putting serious miles on their superbikes.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
My friend had one of the early 748's with about 70,000 miles when it was stolen from him, I'm sure it was not all that cheap but he didn't complain about maintenance, pretty sure he had all original rockers in it still because early bikes had the good ones

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
One member of my Desmo club just posted on Facebook a picture of a 1098 odometer with 86,838 miles on it. Bike still looks new.

Ron

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am really glad to have seen this post/thread. I unfortunately have had awful luck with a brand new 2018 XDiavel this riding season and was even contemplating just giving up. The bike has been at the dealer for the latest repair 7 weeks so far, unable to ride. A week into ownership the steering lock failed and wouldn't unlock. That was fixed 2 weeks later and then the handsfree system was repaired 6 weeks after that. 2 weeks of riding and the IMU fault came on, back to the dealer where it remains. It is supposed to be fixed by the end of today. I suppose if it gets fixed I should hope for the best and put this behind me. I am glad to hear that some Ducatis have been reliable.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,628 Posts
I am really glad to have seen this post/thread. I unfortunately have had awful luck with a brand new 2018 XDiavel this riding season and was even contemplating just giving up. The bike has been at the dealer for the latest repair 7 weeks so far, unable to ride. A week into ownership the steering lock failed and wouldn't unlock. That was fixed 2 weeks later and then the handsfree system was repaired 6 weeks after that. 2 weeks of riding and the IMU fault came on, back to the dealer where it remains. It is supposed to be fixed by the end of today. I suppose if it gets fixed I should hope for the best and put this behind me. I am glad to hear that some Ducatis have been reliable.
I would be investigating your states lemon law if that's a new Diavel. You shouldn't have to put up with that level of warranty on a new bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts