Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 998 with over 37,000 on the clock. Ive had it for about a year and almost all of the maintenance is up to date. It runs great.

I talked to a local shop owner today about helping me adjust my suspension. He was asking questions about my bike and said that with 37,000 miles, my bike would "definitely need for the heads to come off." He said it would need new valve guides, seals, etc. He was very confident about this. The shop sounds legit, so I am not sure what to think about his comments.

What do you guys think? Does a "high mileage" 998 need such a service? I understand regular maintenance is a must (belts, valves, etc.), but he seems to think a far more invasive job is required.

Thanks.

Smut peddler
He's either the Duc whisperer, or he's displaying a classic case of solutionism, aka creating a problem to find a solution. Without even looking at it, there's no way he can make that diagnosis. Just because that model had some inherent problems, doesn't mean every single on had it. I'd be looking elsewhere 馃槈

Reactions: ProphetPVD

Bon Vivant
Edit snip... Valve guides and seals are not necessarily in need of service at that mileage. Does it smoke or use oil? both of those things would indicate guides and seals. And jackie is right, he doesnt know what it needs without inspecting it - that to me says hes probably not the guy I would bring my bike to. I would rather trust someone who prefers to make a diagnosis based on reality, not conjecture.

Registered
I have a 2002 998 with over 37,000 on the clock. Ive had it for about a year and almost all of the maintenance is up to date. It runs great.

I talked to a local shop owner today about helping me adjust my suspension. He was asking questions about my bike and said that with 37,000 miles, my bike would "definitely need for the heads to come off." He said it would need new valve guides, seals, etc. He was very confident about this. The shop sounds legit, so I am not sure what to think about his comments.

What do you guys think? Does a "high mileage" 998 need such a service? I understand regular maintenance is a must (belts, valves, etc.), but he seems to think a far more invasive job is required.

Thanks.
If you鈥檝e ever talked to someone who solved a problem with a vehicle or motorcycle, they will claim it needs to be done with all of them.

Now factor in someone getting paid to do it, and you have your answer.

I had a bare wire rubbing on my Jeep throttle body idle air controller, and a mechanic told me I needed a new engine. .0001垄 worth of electrical tape was all I needed.

Registered
On my M900 (yes, it's a different bike, but similar in some ways), the valve guide seals usually lasted between 40K and 60K, so I would not be surprised if your bike needs them, or will soon. The symptoms when it needed them was a bit of burning oil, a little blue smoke on hard acceleration or overrun.

My valve guides themselves, though, were still the original ones at 265K miles. Everyone but everyone told me they had to be totally shot and I'd better replace them, but the bike was running fine and not using excess oil or down on power or anything.

At that mileage, and with the bike fairly new to you, I probably would find a reputable mech, and have him take the heads off and look at some point. But if it's using less oil than, say, 1 quart every 1500 miles, In wouldn't say it's urgent.

PhilB

Reactions: 2004 999s

Registered
65000km on my 996 and shows no signs needing any of this.
Runs well, uses very little oil (hardly anything between changes)
I would have thought the 998 would be even better.

Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
Had the heads off mine at 40,000km - put them straight back on, although we did set the squish at that stage. Had them off again at 80,000km and did a complete top end refresh, so that it would be good for the next 80,000km. There is a kit that helps with this Part Number 791.2.028.1A and Athena sell a version too, but I went with OEM as we had to buy a lot of parts to do that service, including brake rotors. Cost is cheaper than the sum of its parts. BTW rockers were fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. You guys confirmed what I suspected. My bike doesn't seem to burn much oil and I haven't noticed any blue smoke. Thats not to say that it doesn't need new valve guide seals, etc., but I feel somewhat uneasy about taking my bike to this guy after his diagnosis.

Registered
37,000 miles on these bikes - if well maintained - means 'pretty well ridden', rather than 'in desperate need of a tear-down'. Rocker arms were never an issue on the 998, so you can ignore that comment. If it seems lacking in power, a compression and/or leak-down test would give you a pretty good idea of whether or not the top end could use a refresh, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. Ride it, stay on top of valve-adjustments & belt-changes, oil-level, and take care/keep an eye on fasteners and other bits (gaskets/o-rings/bushes) which have 20 years of age and vibration. Do that and you should be good for some time (y)

Premium Member
@dilbeckw ... Agree with what everyone else has said... and I'll add a bit of clarification.

The 916/996 and 748's, including the homologation specials of these models, were all powered by the Desmoquattro. The 998, 999 and 749, including the homologation specials of those models and the 996R, were powered by the Testastretta. (Ducati Desmoquattro engine - Wikipedia).

Flaking rockers were an issue on Desmoquattro's due to inconsistencies in the chroming process. While certainly not impossible in a Testastretta power unit, it is not a typical characteristic to that design, and is in fact, quite rare.

Registered
I have 77,000+ km's on my 996 SPS, still going strong. I talked to a friend (he does all kinds of stuff to bikes, builds frsmes etc.) a few years back about opening the engine to check bearings/wear etc, and he asked me "Why? is it broken?". So I just continued riding.

She doesn't get much more than 5,000kms per year nowadays, or less.

Bon Vivant
@dilbeckw ... Agree with what everyone else has said... and I'll add a bit of clarification.

The 916/996 and 748's, including the homologation specials of these models, were all powered by the Desmoquattro. The 998, 999 and 749, including the homologation specials of those models and the 996R, were powered by the Testastretta. (Ducati Desmoquattro engine - Wikipedia).

Flaking rockers were an issue on Desmoquattro's due to inconsistencies in the chroming process. While certainly not impossible in a Testastretta power unit, it is not a typical characteristic to that design, and is in fact, quite rare.
Thanks for clarifying my post about the rockers - I was putting the 998 into the same group as the 916 996 - my mistake. I edited it out of my original post.

Premium Member
Thanks for clarifying my post about the rockers - I was putting the 998 into the same group as the 916 996 - my mistake. I edited it out of my original post.
To be honest Mike I did not see anything wrong with your original post. After reading all of the responses, I just thought it would be helpful for the OP to get some additional information with regards to the engine specific to the 998.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for the responses. Regarding power loss, I guess I wouldn't know any difference since I have never ridden another 998 (or any other Ducati for that matter). It feels plenty fast for me, and I absolutely love the bike.

Registered
Don鈥檛 fix it if it ain鈥檛 broke .
When it breaks, use all the money you saved by not fixing it when it wasn鈥檛 broke to fix it when it鈥檚 actually broke.

Registered
MMmmm. You need an honest mechanic. I have just past 100000 Kms. Had the usual oil changes, a couple of new sets of sprockets and chains. Not sure what the required mileage was when i had the valves needed the usual adjustments.
Bike runs just fine.
Listen/read the comments here.Honest folks here.
Ducati Diavel Carbon Red 2012

Registered
Clearances checked about 2-3 years ago and all was reported as being good. Local (and trusted) Ducati dealer.
I do my own belts every 2 years.
So far, no issues with anything except the usual electrical gremlins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts