Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I'm watching 1200 DVT Multi's for a possible spring purchase (Maybe earlier if the right opportunity presents itself) and wanted to get some thoughts on something. I've come across a few bikes out there and was wondering where you would spend your money.

- 2015 S models outfitted exactly the same. One has +30k, the other less than 8k and there's an $1800 price spread. Where are you spending your dough and why? And how much weight does your preferred color weigh into your decision?

·
Registered
230 Posts
15 was the first year of the DVT and they had some teething problems. I would look for a 13/14 1200 or a 16/17 DVT but that's just me. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most first year models have some teething issues. At this point they’re well known and have either been addressed or there is a fix available. I’m not that concerned about a ‘15.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Most first year models have some teething issues. At this point they’re well known and have either been addressed or there is a fix available. I’m not that concerned about a ‘15.
That is true. These bikes seem to do high miles without an issue so mileage shouldn't be a huge concern. That being said I would try and talk the guy down that has the bike with 8K miles first and if he won't budge, check the other one. Of course I would also take into account how each bike was cared for as that would play heavily into my decision. :smile2:

Reactions: kltk1

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
Keep in mind the cost of a FULL service on any you buy and compare if one has been done recently as saving you a decent amount. Also know that one with higher miles but services done (if done right) will lessen the number of surprises the bike hold.

for example
bike one 30,000 miles has had one major service possibly 2, this has given two opportunities to find problems that will cost you money. Yes the miles will have more worn parts but in a whole the bikes can handle miles if maintained.

Bike 2 with 8000 miles has maybe had a oil change or belts in its life. Yes the rest of the parts will be newer and need less attention.

I bring this up because I have seen MTS1200 bikes with low miles get to the first major service and need new gas tanks because the fuel pump flange nuts spin in the crap plastic tanks. Fixable (replacement) but not a surprise you want out of warranty. Bike one probably would have had warranty replace the tank where bike two will be you as it simply was not found until a major.

Also know that belts are done on a time basis so pay attention to when they are/were done (miles and time).
On average at about 18,000 miles chain and sprockets wear out.
At about 18,000 miles the shock and fork oils should be changed

After that it is all down to condition and service history for me. I would prefer a well maintained (not just washed) bike to one that is a unknown, but that is me as a mechanic.

I fully expect you to find plenty of bikes sold around the first major as there will be people who swap bikes to avoid the cost and 18,000 miles can be many years of use. Know the miles you put on and costs coming up to decide what it best for your situation. Try and avoid buying solely on price and a pretty face or you may suffer from "battered bike owner syndrome" .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind the cost of a FULL service on any you buy and compare if one has been done recently as saving you a decent amount. Also know that one with higher miles but services done (if done right) will lessen the number of surprises the bike hold.

for example
bike one 30,000 miles has had one major service possibly 2, this has given two opportunities to find problems that will cost you money. Yes the miles will have more worn parts but in a whole the bikes can handle miles if maintained.

Bike 2 with 8000 miles has maybe had a oil change or belts in its life. Yes the rest of the parts will be newer and need less attention.

I bring this up because I have seen MTS1200 bikes with low miles get to the first major service and need new gas tanks because the fuel pump flange nuts spin in the crap plastic tanks. Fixable (replacement) but not a surprise you want out of warranty. Bike one probably would have had warranty replace the tank where bike two will be you as it simply was not found until a major.

Also know that belts are done on a time basis so pay attention to when they are/were done (miles and time).
On average at about 18,000 miles chain and sprockets wear out.
At about 18,000 miles the shock and fork oils should be changed

After that it is all down to condition and service history for me. I would prefer a well maintained (not just washed) bike to one that is a unknown, but that is me as a mechanic.

I fully expect you to find plenty of bikes sold around the first major as there will be people who swap bikes to avoid the cost and 18,000 miles can be many years of use. Know the miles you put on and costs coming up to decide what it best for your situation. Try and avoid buying solely on price and a pretty face or you may suffer from "battered bike owner syndrome" .
Phenomenal response. Can't thank you enough for that DucVet, that's exactly the kind of insight I was hoping to get.

Just found out this morning that 30k+ has a transferable warranty from Western. I'm not familiar with their products so I can't speak to the quality of the warranty, but there is one. So there's some peace of mind there. 8k does not have a warranty but I can purchase one. That also adds to the buy-in. But it's available.

As it turns out, there's another bike I completely forgot about that came back in play this morning. This also has a warranty and is low mileage (7K). Of the bunch, this is the most appealing.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I have a 15 with going on 45,000 miles... personally I'd absolutely pay $1500 more for an 8k mile bike. I'd consider myself as having taken very good care of my bike - but 30,000 miles introduces some wear and tear - at 8k my bike looked like it was just off the showroom floor.

at 8k you have 10,000 miles before your first desmo service... though it would be worth asking if there is a time limit on desmo services (older Duc's needed service every couple years even if they weren't getting the miles).

At 30k you have 6-7k before your second desmo service... again it gives you some time.

Performance wise I've seen zero change in the bike's performance (except for mods turning mine quite a bit more hooligan) - I'm still hopeful that these are 100k+ motors.

As for teething - yea there were and if the original owner didn't keep up with recalls then you may have to get some updates done -but once those updates are done the 15 and 16 are essentially identical as far as anyone knows (if Ducati made changes they didn't talk about it). And the 16-17 updates are very minor things you could do yourself for not much money (airbox lid for instance).

Reactions: kltk1

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
older Duc's needed service every couple years even if they weren't getting the miles).
Only belts which only time frame has changed they are still timing them out as far as I know. this goes back to the Pantah 500 in the 70's. The valves do not care about time but any motor that is sitting will have a valve open which allows in moisture and corrosion. Normal wear and tear on anything and expected. be aware of this time frame on the belts of any used ducati you are looking at unless it is a bevel drive or Panigale.

Yes if you can get the older bike with lower miles for less money just keep in mind that savings may go towards the bike still some day. Normal used bike stuff. Be aware and pick a good one you should have plenty of options.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I wouldn't want either one of them. If I'm shopping for a 3.5 year old bike, I want to see somewhere between 15k-20k miles on the odometer. Nothing is ever a guarantee short of knowing the previous owner, but 4-6k miles a year says to me it was consistently ridden, but not a daily rider. It's nice to think those 30k miles were due to a few epic road trips, but with an MTS it's just as likely the bike was someone's daily commuter through city traffic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts