Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be picking up a 2007 gray demo GT1000 at dealer tomorrow.The GT1000 has up right handle bars added and about 6--700 miles. Does $8800 out the door sound about right. I tried to buy the GT1000 that was for sale on this sight for $6000 but it was sold yesturday. Thanks for helping a new maybe Ducati guy out...............

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Might be picking up a 2007 gray demo GT1000 at dealer tomorrow.The GT1000 has up right handle bars added and about 6--700 miles. Does $8800 out the door sound about right. I tried to buy the GT1000 that was for sale on this sight for $6000 but it was sold yesturday. Thanks for helping a new maybe Ducati guy out...............
Sounds fair to me. Especially since Demos typically come with a new bike warranty. Do check into that before handing over the cash. :)

-don

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked to them again before they closed tonight.

Full two year warranty and $8700 out the door only option is the taller handle bars. They said the bars are taller than the one's that come on the Tour model. Looks like tomorrow I might be taking a 1hr ride up north.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Major they said they have the stockers

And they go with the bike. At 48 yrs old I might like the upright bars more. If I don't I can switch back. Heading to look at bike in about an hour. Have to wait to get money out of credit union first............In 07 I had road a 06 FZ1 all summer..............Last summer I rode a sm610 Husky. My roadstar don't get rode much since the faster bike's keep getting bought.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
And they go with the bike. At 48 yrs old I might like the upright bars more. If I don't I can switch back.
On paper the taller bars sound like they'd be more comfortable, but in fact the stock bars - indeed, the entire riding position of the GT - is for most people just right. There is just enough forward cant to balance wind pressure on the chest at street speed. With taller bars you lose that and the more rearward weight distribution is (for most people) harder on the back and bum and to a small degree negatively effects the handling and feel of the machine.

The exception to the above might be for city trolling.

But the good thing is you will have both and, as important, cables and hoses that work either way.

Every owner on this forum can share your thrill. Enjoy!!! :)

-don

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DUCeditor thank's.

I figured the taller bars might me nice with a shield. I plan on riding 30 miles one way back and forth from work. On second shift the bugs, rain, etc those sheilds are nice. On weekends I can pop it off if riding with the sport bike group. I see where the GT has only adjustable suspension in the back. That is a real bummer. I am about 210lbs. I wonder how the stock stuff will work with my weight. Maybe Duc made the suspension for a 200 lb guy. Guess I will find out in a couple of hours. The color is gray looks like your from what I can tell.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I just could not imagine leaving the GT in the stock handlebar configuration as it gave a riding position different from any previously experienced. Procrastinating in changing out the bars had an unexpected outcome. The realization came slowly about that the stock bar and seat geometry are very nearly perfect. So, no tall bars to this day. No flyscreen. Nor windshield. Just a bike that is stock, except for lighter OEM alloy wheels and a Storz steering damper.

Yes, I get buggy from head to toe. At the end of the summer riding season, my Ducati summer jacket reeks of embedded bugs. I kinda like it that way, and would not have tolerated it in the past.

Anything that I could have added would have only meant more weight and drag. Even the Ducati center stand kit sits boxed and dusty in the garage, as I don't want to add the weight. I have Pitbull paddock stands instead, front and rear.

Even the Ducati "comfort" seat came off in just a few months. The padding was too thin, and it produced a riding position that was too upright for high speed comfort. It was replaced with the stock seat, which I'm glad that I kept.

I'd heartly suggest getting used to the bike in its stock configuration before changing much about it. I'd even try the stock bars, just for grins.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I figured the taller bars might me nice with a shield. I plan on riding 30 miles one way back and forth from work. On second shift the bugs, rain, etc those shields are nice. On weekends I can pop it off if riding with the sport bike group.
For local moderate speed rides a windshield might be OK. But remember that it is going to be mounted to the forks, not the frame. That means that wind-induced pressure (read: speed), and especially any turbulence, will be input to the steering. On a long-raked, long trailed, cruiser that means little. On a bike with a sport-tuned front-end geometry it will mean a lot. The bigger the screen the worse the effect. Not good IMHO.

I see where the GT has only adjustable suspension in the back. That is a real bummer. I am about 210lbs. I wonder how the stock stuff will work with my weight.
You will get contradictory responses here. The fact is, as you likely know if you have been reading this forum, the suspension - especially the fork innards - are not what they deserve to be. But when a fellow GT owner and I measured each other's bikes sag with the rider on board it was not too far off the ideal. My friend likely weighs about what you do. I weigh several pizzas and a beer more.

Most Ducati owners get tremendous jollies from making changes to their bikes. And they are almost always for the better if you read the reports. I'm just an old guy (62) who has for over forty years simply loved to ride in general, and loved to ride sprightly Ducatis in particular. Take my responses and their's with whatever grains of salt (and/or pepper) you think best applies. :D

-don

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
You could always flip those bars over (up-side-down). Stock is just fine, mods are just done to match individual tastes...It's all good. I'd ride it for awhile to get a feeling of what you want to do before shelling out any cash. I would pack a few more tools in the kit though, as the mini kit that comes with the bike is crap. I'm sure there is a thread for what you should have in your traveling tool kit. A few spanners, some allen wrenches, some screwdrivers and a tire inflation gauge should do.

I don't even have to tell you to enjoy the new ride. You will most likely be a convert after the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Mr. Motorcycle in El Paso, TX, had a brand new '07 black & cream GT on their floor last month, tagged at $8,500. Heck, it was there when I bought my '07 from them in May of that year! Google them and call; they might still have it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I got out the door at $8700.. Halls springfield IL.

This includes Taxes, tags, brand new 14 tooth front sprocket, bike already had a battery tender harness, also a can of chain lube, and the oil had just been changed at 600 miles two months ago, also has a new replaced fuel tank and the ducati recall was done on he fuel line and a full two year warranty. When I left with the bike in back of my truck it had 658 miles on it with a good 25 of them mine. The gray but looks green to me 07 GT1000 was smaller than I had thought, handled better than I thought it would. And the power is getting better,,,,,,,,,,,coming down my street tonight all stock bike 1st gear I could no clutch twist throttle and pull front wheel right on up off the ground. The thing that I can not figure out yet is my odometer reads correct but my trip odometer reads KM I guess.........How do you change the trip to read like the odometer. Also the replaced second tank on this GT I noticed at dealer I could lift the right side.................I then walked over to the new 09 tour and it was the same way..........The head tech at Halls told me I can't remember the name but the company that makes the ABS tanks for ducati is working on a new tank but does not have it perfected yet. He was told this about 7 months ago. So tonight after taking of front deflectors and cleaning up the license plate area.............I take a closer look at the fuel tank. And yep the right side tank its out past the tank peg..........Nice guess I will under warranty hopefully the new version will come out before I need a new tank...........But looks like this 07 could use tank 3 already. The new 09 Tour already had the same play in it. Doing the test ride I found out what you guys where trying to say about the handle bars being so tall. After a few mile warm up I blipped the clutch in first the bike stood up I rode it on out when the tire touched the ground I shifted to second gear and the tall bars with me up and back.................gave me a good lesson on head shake. That was goofy for sure. I then twisted the throttle some......................what the heck can't buy a bike with out seeing what she had.....................I ran her up to 128 mph on speedo it was still pulling pretty good when I let off. I am so for pretty pleased with the GT so for. I did buy a Ducati sheild for it for when wife and I might take it to colorado in june. Also ordered a rear luggage rack...Any of you guys want to sell one.......They are on back order tell june 1st. Tomorrow I am going to do some get to know the bike-------going to put on some miles I hope. The GT runs pretty darn good all stock. I actually paid $8277 before Tax's etc.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
JT, congrats on your new GT1000.

Green? Yup! I was more thab a bit surprised by the color the day I picked up mine. (It had been preordered) My only negative thought to the color is that there is absolutely no way to match it for accessories, or if a touch up is needed. But it is truly unique, classy and well suits the character of the bike.

The one accessory I REALLY recommend is the 02 Manipulator. It is inexpensive, totally adjustable, easy to install, and makes the bike run much, much better. I think it comes with return privileges if you don't see a desirable improvement but that, to me, seems highly unlikely.

Ride on!

-don

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that it is light out

I am going to go out with some reading glasses on and see what the deal is with that Tripometer maybe I was just not reading it right last night. But before I shut it off the odometer said just under 700 miles but the Trip odometer said like 1598. Maybe that was 15.98 miles............I asked about the 02 manipulator up at halls................The sales guy said one of the tech's can't remember the name has used them............Guess I should of asked the Tech if he had any for sale.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on tripometer

It's rough getting older........This morning I can see the period on the #er's in the trip meter. Also installed the 14 sprocket.........That woke the bottom end up in second now feels like first gear did last night. I want to install the shield but that head shake with the taller bars is not good. This bike really need to have the rider farther down in the front. And also a stabilizer. Any of you guys running a stabilizer and if so.....What kind and where did you get it from..............Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Prem

I understand about the bar flip you where talking about............This bike really needs some weight on the front.............Guess I will install the stock bars and sheild for work. Then on weekends pop the sheild off. What are you guys using for stabilizers.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I agree that the bars may serve you well if you put a shield on it. Because I found the stock bars too low for my old body, I tried the comfort bars. I found them too high, so I ended up making my own risers that were about 1/2 way between the comfort and stock bars. I had no windshield and the comfort bars were definitely too high.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Major

I have not looked yet but the sheild has a bracket that goes under the stock risers. If the shield can be taken off with out to much effort. I am going to install stock bars with shield.........Today I am going to take the emission junk off and installing shield before work. Might even check the carbs for sink of each other. Still have not rode the bike much yet. Did a little 5 miles with the wife on back yesturday just to see. The suspension seems works work pretty good with two people on board. This bike seems to be pretty stiff..............Does it lighten up with some miles.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The forks loosen up a bit, but they are undersprung (especially with a passenger) and you are compressing them down to the very stiff compression damping section at the end of their travel designed to prevent the suspension from bottoming. The huge majority of members of this board have either replaced their front springs, or they have replaced their front forks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I road the Duc 30 miles to work today.

The shield and stock bars with the shield mount which raises the bars a 1/2 inch I guess is not to bad. Rougher on the hands than the higher bars. But I think I am going to take the shield off and then things should be good. Got it all done this morning except the throttle body sinc. Ran out of time. I also have to find the screws for adjusting. Are they under the metal covers. If so I will have to pull them out to get to the screws on the body's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts