Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just purchased and installed a HID kit. I have a 6000K low beam and a 3000K highbeam. Firstly, I just want to say "wow". The stock lighting on my 748 was just terrible. After putting the HID kit in, I can see everything, and the perfect cutoff in the projector makes it safe for me, and other drivers as well-my highbeam on the other hand...should only be used when NOBODY is in front of you and I'm on a looong dark country road. Low beam is enough for all cases.

I HIGHLY recommend HIDs it as a lighting option for other members on the forum...just in case you haven't decided upon it yet.

My question is, where the heck should I mount my wiring and ballasts? I payed extra for the thin ballasts and find them to be reasonable in size. I was wondering, do any of you think it would be a terrible idea to mount the ballast inside my airbox? As in, run it down through my air rams and mount it to the outside wall on either side of my airbox? The air rams that I have are CF oversized- so I don't think that it would really hinder the air flow. In the airbox, the ballasts would get ample cool air. I have a Twin-Air filter so there's no way for it to get sucked into my velocity stacks.

Have any of you mounted your ballasts somewhere else? Where? Please share your experiences or expertice. As it is right now, I was ambushed by a bunch of friends for a ride, I pieced my bike together and I just slung the ballasts on top of the air ram inside the nose fairing. It is TOTALLY temporary. I HATE seeing the wiring and will fix it.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
My highbeam ballast is on the front side of the battery tray. Used a couple of wireties to keep it in place with no issues. The lowbeam ballast is on the back of the fan motor, with abosultely no problem. And do NOT mount them in the air box...horrible idea.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was wondering, do any of you think it would be a terrible idea to mount the ballast inside my airbox?
Yes. Terrible idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's what I did. I attached the ballast mounts to the frame by bending the end of the mount over, wrapping some old rubber inner tube around the frame to protect it, and using a hose clamp to attach the mount to the frame. You can kind of see it in the pics. I removed the intake tubes and routed the wiring from the ballast between the intake tubes and the frame as shown in the pictures. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'm definitely going to mount them to somewhere beneath the fairings-not the airbox. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what I ended up doing. I ran the wiring over the radiator and mounted the ballasts to the side fairings on either side just ahead of the top vents. This way they stay cool and are out of the way of everything. Here is how the wiring looks now. All you can see is a strip of looming on either side. Other than that, it looks great. Thanks guys!

Any comments/thoughts? Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As stated in my PM to ray-95::I recommend getting some industrial strength velco to stick them to the inside of your fairings. As for where I obtained the HIDs, my friends and I found them here :

http://cgi.ebay.com/HID-KIT-XENON-CO...d=p3286.c0.m14

But the actual website where you can get them from is here:

http://www.vvme.com/

We didn't know this until it was too late.

I bought the 3000K for the high beam and the 6000K for the low. 3000K has greater piercing power and far less bleed and bounce-back. I've researched for a LOOOONG time before coming to the conclusion on color temps. You can decide for yourself. Its really nice to have a contrasting tone though.

I recommend the slim ballasts. You need the H3 for the low beam and an H1 for the high. If you have any of you have questions let me know. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts