Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
I would do what those guys suggest , They seem pretty up on the stuff they do.
Don't forget to get a hold of them and offer thanks for posting info and give them feed back...
Thats how it all works around here .:)

·
Sophomore Member
3,124 Posts
I just installed 55W HIDs on the low beams last week. Amazing! IMO, you can't have too much light on a motorcycle. As long as you have them properly pointed, they don't bother the oncoming traffic. Go for the extra juice if you like lots and lots of light.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just installed 55W HIDs on the low beams last week. Amazing! IMO, you can't have too much light on a motorcycle. As long as you have them properly pointed, they don't bother the oncoming traffic. Go for the extra juice if you like lots and lots of light.
Did you get the 90deg bulbs or do the straight bulbs work? Where did you get them from?

·
Sophomore Member
3,124 Posts
I purchased these:
Ducati Multistrada HID Kits Ducati Multistrada Xenon Lights Ducati Multistrada HIDs headlights Conversions Ducati Multistrada bulbs
The 50/55W digital kit with two beams. Do not bother getting the relay. The relay lets you pull the power straight off of the battery instead of taking it through the bike's original wiring. Since your original bulbs are 55W, the wiring is sized to carry this much power and therefore no need for a beefier wire coming off the battery. The ballasts are fairly sizable and a bit of a challenge. I put mine inside of the lower painted fairing piece. You can still see the ballasts here, so I painted them black. The installation went smoothly. The straight bulbs work just fine. My only warning is that if you have never adjusted your bulb direction, you might have planes landing in your driveway after the mod.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Stupid question-

Is the wattage of an HID system in the ballast, or the bulb? I have a 35 watt HID setup installed and they are nice, but more lumens are always better...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what i understand these work by starting a arc within the bulb (thats the light bit) and if you dont have the ballast (or choke) then the arc would just keep growing until it blows. So you would need to change your ballast to feed the bigger bulbs.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have ran 55W in all my bikes and vehicles for the past 4 years. Never had an issue except even people I ride behind tell me how bright my low beams are. This has happened on my gixxer, cbr1krr, multi. Some people talk about not wanting their lights to be bright. I say make them as bright as you can. People will know you're there.

·
Sophomore Member
3,124 Posts
Prior to installing the HIDs I was trying to decide between replacing low beams with HIDs or adding the Denali LEDs with the great potential for both. I decided to do the HIDs first instead of the LEDs because they are half the price and leave the bike looking stock. I figured I'd see how bright the HIDs are and go for the LEDs if I wanted more light. I'm not saying I'll never put the LEDs on, but for now, I think that the HIDs are more than sufficient. Everybody should at least consider doing this mod for the sake of being seen.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I have ran 55W in all my bikes and vehicles for the past 4 years. Never had an issue except even people I ride behind tell me how bright my low beams are. This has happened on my gixxer, cbr1krr, multi. Some people talk about not wanting their lights to be bright. I say make them as bright as you can. People will know you're there.
It's unfortunate that the reflectors on bikes are so flimsy and deteriorate with increased heat. You never can have enough lights when riding at night. I have a Land Rover Defender with 75-130's in the H-4 head lights and 3 Hella driving lights w/150s on brush rack and one mounted to the rear. Maybe a bit much, but great for driving at night with the deer population we have, and if I happen to encounter someone who won't dim their lights, game over.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I added HID Lighting to both the High and Low beams on my BMW R1150GSA. While the illumination was nothing short of fantastic, I appeared to lose illumination on the sides. I just added the Touratec HID and Fog combination to my Pikes Peak. I now believe the use of a correctly engineered Lens paired with the HID light is essential in getting the biggest bang for the buck. On the other hand, when evaluating the cost factors, it's hard to justify the expense of the Touratec's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts