Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
at 98.8%, I would avoid that vendor. Just me.
I got mine from this site.
CQlight.ca
Have had these on my 999 for 3 years and about 20K miles without any problems.
They don't have a motorcycle kit, but you can buy the pair and sell one.
I have HID's on both high low and have the mod so that I can have both high and low beams on at the same time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would avoid that vendor 92GTA. I just purchased a dual HID kit from DDM Tuning in San Diego for $49.95 on sale. I had a DDM kit installed on my previous bike, and it was quite noticeably better than the cheaper EBAY kit that I had initially purchased. The light quality alone of the DDM kit versus the EBAY kit made it well worth the money. The DDM kit comes in 35w or 55w, and includes fully digital slim ballasts.

If you don't want a dual HID kit, you can purchase the single kit for $44.95 (..or just purchase the dual kit, and sell the other H11 kit for possible profit :) ).

http://www.ddmtuning.com/catalog/Motorcycle_Lighting-61-1.html

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I'll be sure not to even touch that vendor!

So maybe this one with the 55watt for high?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DDM_35W_55W_Single_Motorcycle_HID_System-105-61.html

I'm guessing with the above I can use it to replace JUST my high beam correct? This way I can still use my stock low beam and have this as my high...

I don't see a point in replacing my low beam.

Wow, seems too inexpensive to be true!

EDIT: So I want to order the single 55w H11 6000K to replace just my high. Reassure me this is the best before I order lmao!

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are unsure what to order you might try reading this thread from the Hall of Wisdom.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=32238&highlight=hid
Thanks I read that. I have also been doing research on this DDM company and their HID products. I guess I am mostly just curious if anyone can point out a better kit before I just pull the trigger on the first thing suggested you know.

I will buy the kit tomorrow unless something better turns up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased a set of HID's from DDM for my Avalanche and am very pleased with them. I'll be getting my 848 a set of 35/55 from them.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have always wanted to put HID on my 848 because the stock bulbs are just plain poor compared to a lot of bikes. The reflectors are so small, that even with some 4000k SilverStar Ultra's installed, it is just not nearly as bright at night as my 2007 Yamaha FZ1 was with it's stock bulbs.

I am torn on which light to make HID though, or both? I always ride with both lights on, day or night.

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have always wanted to put HID on my 848 because the stock bulbs are just plain poor compared to a lot of bikes. The reflectors are so small, that even with some 4000k SilverStar Ultra's installed, it is just not nearly as bright at night as my 2007 Yamaha FZ1 was with it's stock bulbs.

I am torn on which light to make HID though, or both? I always ride with both lights on, day or night.

Opinions?
if you get HID, you won't need to ride with both lights on. HID high's are very bright even during the day.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plus if you do the low beam with HID you will need a relay because on our bikes the light comes on with the key and it will be too much draw on the system trying to start it. That and if you do your low beam you will piss off other drivers with your light.

Just do the high.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Good job 92GTA. DDM produces a quality product. You won't be disappointed. My kit should be delivered today.......yayyy! I pick up my bike today or tomorrow.........even more yayyyy!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
if you get HID, you won't need to ride with both lights on. HID high's are very bright even during the day.
So do you recommend High or Low for HID? And I see here that some say you should use a relay for them? Does that mean I have to run a separate 12V wire from the battery up to the light relay?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Plus if you do the low beam with HID you will need a relay because on our bikes the light comes on with the key and it will be too much draw on the system trying to start it. That and if you do your low beam you will piss off other drivers with your light.

Just do the high.
Oh, ok, didn't see this response before I posted my questions. Thanks!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Major congrats!!!!!
Thanks bro. Now let's see which one of us is the first to offer the forum a DIY HID thread including pictures. ;)

About start-up SquireSCA.....

....I can't see the Duc being any different than the Jap bikes on start-up (..the low beam on most, if not all, recent bikes comes on with the key turn), so a relay shouldn't be necessary. I had HID's installed on my low/high beams (..'07 GSXR 600), and I never experienced any start-up issues.

^^^This picture is with the low & high activated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
you won;t be disappointed with the DDM kits. I have them on my Monster and 996. you won't need a relay b/c they wire up directly to the battery and use the existing power lead for the headlights as the trigger.

My own opinion is not to use HID for high beam because all HID's take several seconds to reach full brightness. I only use my highbeams to signal others or when I need instant light and that "lag" in brightness wouldn;t work for me. I instead use a hyper white halogen for the high beam. quite honestly, the low beam is so bright that I hardly need to use the high beam at all on my 996.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They said the 55watt ballast is on back-order so it will be a bit until I get it.

I was going to add to my order and get the 35watt for the low beam actually.

Alex

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
I use HD on both low and high and love it. Hi-beams are on all the time during they day. Low's do great at night. No starting issues, either.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts