Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everybody! I've recently purchased a 2004 Multistrada that needs some work. I've purchased LT's guide (fantastic), but I had a few questions about this bike so I figured I'd go ahead and consult the experts! I've owned plenty of Hondas and a few Triumphs, but never a Ducati until now.
My Multistrada has an aftermarket Arrow exhaust. After changing the oil and filter, I rode the bike around for a few days (100 miles) testing and getting a feel for it, and when I put it up in the garage I noticed that the middle exhaust section off of the horizontal cylinder is touching the oil pan at one particular point. Now, I know that's not supposed to happen - I'll be doing what I can to bend/adjust the pipe away when I get to it this evening! My question is if you think I could have done any damage to the bike riding it that way. For what it's worth, I go real easy on my motorcycles and never go WOT or lug the engine - I got oil temps up to ~225F in my riding so far, according my temp sensor.
My other question concerns the valvetrain - the Multistrada has ~17,500 miles on it now. The PO told me that some engine service was done in the last year (belts/valves , I think) but I don't know what exactly was done and how. On looking through LT's guide, I'm not so worried anymore about valve adjustments / belt tensioning, but I'm now concerned about valve guides. Any Multistrada riders out there who have done that job themselves? Is this an imminent concern for my bike with that mileage? Everything sounds good and there's no smoke or other evidence of oil leaks into the exhaust.
Final question, is it just me, or is the tank a bear to get off? I followed every instruction I could to get the tank off cleanly to clean out old gas and lines, and the sending unit plate still scratched the frame crossbar when I carefully pulled it off :crying: getting the tank back on was a nightmare as well, doing the same in reverse. I love plastic tanks on my bikes, but this tank kinda drives me crazy.
Anyway, thanks to y'all in advance! Greetings from warm NC :smile2:

Ian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: the tank...

I had an 05 a few years back. The plastic tanks on the 1st gen multis are susceptible to expanding thanks to the ethanol they put in our gas. Many people have reported facing the same difficulties that you had with removal and installation. If I recall correctly I believe some were replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VALTERMOTO offers new fuel tanks for the MTS 1000DS for about $150 via eBay. I can't endorse them because I have never seen one. However, they do claim it to be a NOS item. A few years ago, a new tank from CycleWorks was $1000. I have one new, still in the box. The fuel tank vs. ethanol is a real issue; but I have avoided all problems by using only ethanol fuel, and in the rare occasions that I did run ethanol fuel, I used it all the same day or drained the tank for storage.

Bottom line: if you can't re-install the same tank, a new one can be had rather cheaply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts