Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know exactly how this happened, however I was on a wicked rocky detour during my ride yesterday. Due to the huge fire in our area, lots of debris-rocks, parts of limbs, etc. I noticed a slight thunk and increase in exhaust sound. Post ride inspection revealed a good size chunk out of Termi.
It's a 05 999S.
So-don't think it's repairable. As far as I know it's the stock 999S system, guess that's a half system with a slip on correct? A gent on the 999/749 FB group has informed me he has a stock muffler from a 05 749s and a Termi slip on from a 05 749 with cat delete delete banana pipe available. Which one would work best or at all?
Any other options or ideas are sure welcome. Except duct tape.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
those mufflers do crack, although it's usually around the inlets and top mount rivnuts. i'd say that was cracking around the wiring pipe mounts.

any termi slip on or std muffler should fit fine. full system won't due to inlets being larger. the headers are what is specific - shallow sump vs deep sump, 03 - 04 swingarm vs 05 - 06

·
Registered
432 Posts
I remember that commercial

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There is more of that high quality Italian workmanship for you lol

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
I would bet that is a titanuim termi slip on can. These were prone to this on the 749/999 series as The pressures in the can cause the can to pulse and titaniium does not like repeated flex cycles. As Belter said usually it happens at the top mount but I have seen it often with ti cans on the 749/999.

I have never seen it on a stock can or carbon (which was still stainless steel with a carbon shroud) crack, I do not think I would want a Ti can on one of these bike models myself due to this fact. It should be easy for a welder to tell if it is Titanium but may be tougher to find a welder who can repair it in a way it will not repeat the problem .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A kind 749 owner provided a stock slip on yesterday. Besides being quieter, what other issues might I experience if I swap it out? I know it's much heavier. Loss of power?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a welder that is willing to take the job on. I'm inclined to go for the repair, he seems confident and comes recommended. My question now; it seems I have lost some of the fiberglass packing material during the event. Before he attempts repair, should I add/replace the material and if so, how much and is it a common packing? Here's the photo of the situation again.

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
lol maybe not anymore but iirc it was a part out of the Ducati performance catalog when I worked at the dealership and the 749/999 were current bikes. To be clear the outer body was the only part that was titanium and they were prone to fail usually at the top . It has been a while ago so maybe I am thinking of another brand but they were Titanium single muffler just like the carbon/not carbon design. The pipes themselves were still stainless steel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for your assistance. As it turned out, the welder was honest and let me know while he could repair it, failure in the future was a real possibility. As mentioned above, the unit had cracked on the top near the rear mounting bolt and someone had repaired before. Numerous cracks on closer inspection.
So, since I don't have the resources at the moment (there is/was a used Termi on ebay for 600), I decided to install the OEM can that was given to me. My concern was that the bike would not run properly. However, she runs fine and pulls cleanly up to the rev limiter with no flat spots. Sound-wise, well she's gone from a snarling tiger to a purring kitten but I can live with that until I can afford another Termi or other option.
Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts