Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shitty overhead flouro lighting in the garage so i've never been able to get any good photo's in there.

I took the rims into a business in the city today to polish the edges.
I am absolutely stoked with the outcome, although as I said, it doesnt photograph to well under lights.

He throws them up on a lathe and used a combination of spinning a mickey whisker of material off and a few different grades/styles of machine and hand finishing.
The edges where the paint meets the polished part are sharp and clean with no lip.
All up it only took about 4hrs and he charged $AU220 which is a bargain as far as I am concerned.

Some may think it's a bit last decade'ish but this is the look I was after.

Mix this with a bit of Waspies (yet to be completed) new generation polished stainless exhaust and look-out.

If any West Australian riders are interested the business is called:
Wheelgleam in Osbourne Park, the feela's name is Simon (realy nice bloke) and # is 9444 8338

Greg.

Oh, by the way... You may have noticed my new Watsons indicators front and back :cool: I thought I would give them a try as I needed something small for the rear so that I can install my Venura rack for our up and coming Phillip Island trip.

Jeeyzus those little buggers are bright....:eek:
Dont know about the legality though. They need to be 30cm apart to keep the law happy in this neck of the woods.
We'll see how we go.

Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i was wondering about that , would make for some shiny stuff hey , tho maybe out of place ???

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Looks fantastic Greg.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Looks great Greg! When we spoke last night about it I thought you had only got the very edge of the rims done but going up to the inners like that is exactly what I am planning on doing with my 10 spokers. I just need to find someone in Adelaide that can do it, there is a crowd in Lonsdale that I may need to check with. :cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Looks great Greg.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
looks ace greg!

i did the same thing on my gixxer front wheel - but the poor man's version.... several hours using every abrasive i could find and a host of ungodly attachments into my variable speed drill (spooky stuff) and then finished 'em up on my bench grinder with a polishing wheel. not nearly as professional and clean as yours, but it sure gave the look i wanted and once i'm rolling they look great :rolleyes:

in the attached pic you can see what a huge difference there is between the front (polished rim) wheel and the rear (all black) - totally lightens up the feel of the bike. i decided to wait until the winter weather to pull the rear wheel and polish it - having too much fun riding the bike these days!

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
:cool:Dang! I had to put my shades on for this one! Nice!:cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Greg, that looks awesome! I've always been a fan of that look. Infact I did it on my last bike, although I painted the spokes a charcoal colour for a bigger contrast.

Thought I would do the same again if I ever go to alloys over the spokies.

Job well done mate...

·
Registered
140 Posts
More maintenance now? or did he clearcoat them as well?

Looks great but additional work in the future would put me off.

Cheers,

Brett

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
maintenance, shmaintenance.
polishing the bike, polishing the knob - it's all the same, ain't it?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
maintenance, shmaintenance.
polishing the bike, polishing the knob - it's all the same, ain't it?
And I excell at BOTH!!! :D:eek:

Seriously, I love cleaning the bike and with shiny, bits it's easy to keep them shiny.

Greg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts