Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual that came with the bike just calls this a "Cover" My original plan was to weld it but it seems to be filed away completely. The 2 screws on the side thats gone are still in the case just have no tops. I have no special tools so is it impossible for me to remove them?

I plan on calling several local shops today because I don't want to wait for online shipping.

What part or what name should I refer to when asking for this specific piece? On google I've seen bikes just like mine but the same piece on theirs is a different color or aftermarket of some kind, my question here is, is something this size common and will be very easy to find? or specific to my bike?

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
The manual that came with the bike just calls this a "Cover" My original plan was to weld it but it seems to be filed away completely. The 2 screws on the side thats gone are still in the case just have no tops. I have no special tools so is it impossible for me to remove them?

I plan on calling several local shops today because I don't want to wait for online shipping.

What part or what name should I refer to when asking for this specific piece? On google I've seen bikes just like mine but the same piece on theirs is a different color or aftermarket of some kind, my question here is, is something this size common and will be very easy to find? or specific to my bike?

Thanks for any info.
First up - the cover.
Go here https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts
Select your model, year etc. then the page for the parts fiche to find the name of the part, but more importantly the part number which will be a series of numbers with . between them and probably a letter at the end.
Then use your browser, say Google, then type in Ducati and the numbers and the letter without any .
That will show you who sells it and how much. Do the same for the stuffed screws.
The letter at the end often refers to a colour variant, whilst the numbers are the non coloured "core" component.
E.g. the fairings for the 900SS have the same numerals and the letter signifies yellow, red or grey paintwork.

Getting the "no head" screws out.
There is a tool called an Ezy Out, which I think is a brand name, but has become a generic term like Hoover is to vacuum cleaners or Gerni to pressure cleaners.
They are relatively cheap and there are good quality and some not so good.
The basic principle is that they have a coarse tapered left hand thread.

You will find a youtube video on using them. EDIT Found one here

This is the worded version.

Carefully drill a hole in the stuffed screw of the diameter for the Ezy Out making sure you do not hit the outer thread.
Best to start with a small drill bit to get close to the centre of the screw then drill a larger hole to match the required diameter of the Ezy Out.
Insert the Ezy out and with a spanner/wrench/socket set apply pressure to the Ezy Out and turn it anti/counter clockwise.
The coarse thread should bite into the drilled hole and undo the screw.

I use the Ezy Out with an el cheap impact driver (aka hitting the impact driver with a hammer) to provide sudden impact to "crack the seal"
Once cracked, it usually can be unscrewed by hand/fingers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
09 848 evo, replacing cover, how long to let sealant sit.

Finally got all the parts that I need in, but have a question. The shop that has my bike told me I have to put a sealant in between this oil cover and the oil pan and to let it sit 24 hours before I can put oil in and ride it.

I'm in a bit of a bind and need to ride the bike this evening. What is the minimum time I could let it sit before oiling and riding safely?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts