Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Couldn't join the board until I had my very own. Last night I brought my PS1000 home. And well, you know how it is the first night. I was awake with my baby, alllllllll night. My wife that is. ;)

So my first 30 minute ride yesterday was amazing. I think I made an excellent choice. In fact all of us with Sport Classics! The bike handled with ease. The shifting was smooth as butter. The riding position was extremly comfortable for a sports bike. I wouldn't have expected anything better, it's perfect. Seriously, this is a fantastic bike. I put a deposit on a S4Rs. I hope that it will be as impressing as this PS1000.

Happy to join the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Welcome.

The PS is one fantastic bike! I had an S4R (not an S4Rs) and thought it was great too but I couldn't afford to keep both so I kept the PS. You are going to have a blast with both bikes.

Ducati Paul Smart
BMW R1200GS

·
Registered
375 Posts
Congratulations!!! What took ya so long?

And you could have joined in anytime... I was loitering Ducati-less for 20 months between ordering and delivery! Learned a LOT during that time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats neighbor! I'm going to Pro Italia Saturday for the 600 mile on my PS1000, it will be nice to see another PS1000 on the S. California twisties.
Good riding,
Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome

Yeah the PS is one awesome bike. I just did the 600 mile service and put the 2 into 1 on with a sweet little clutch cover. The bike is a true dream. I can't get enough. Ducati really hit a home run. Enjoy your toy and welcome to the club! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys... Yes it is a Great Bike. I wasn't sure up until last minute what bike I wanted to get. I was also looking at the Triumphs. But I made my final decesion based on my brothers old Ducati. That bike just had something special about it that was still in my mouth. and I wanted some more. And I am glad I did that.

I installed the eliminator kit today..It made things look much better in the rear. I would still like to see a nice complete set with clear turn signal lenses. Not home made ones, but an actual kit designed for the PS1000. I also ordered a new clutch cover. And I tried to order a rear mud guard from carbonfiberman.com. I called these people 3 times today, and left 1 message. No Answer. I don't know if they're interested in making some business. Is there any one else who makes a mudguard for the PS? Websites would be great.

Tom, within the next few weeks, as the weather gets warmer, we should definately gather a ride through Malibu or Ortega Hwy. I don't how many Classics are out here in So Cal. But any or as many as possible would be great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DUCAWOLF said:
Thanks Guys... Yes it is a Great Bike. I wasn't sure up until last minute what bike I wanted to get. I was also looking at the Triumphs. But I made my final decesion based on my brothers old Ducati. That bike just had something special about it that was still in my mouth. and I wanted some more. And I am glad I did that.

I installed the eliminator kit today..It made things look much better in the rear. I would still like to see a nice complete set with clear turn signal lenses. Not home made ones, but an actual kit designed for the PS1000. I also ordered a new clutch cover. And I tried to order a rear mud guard from carbonfiberman.com. I called these people 3 times today, and left 1 message. No Answer. I don't know if they're interested in making some business. Is there any one else who makes a mudguard for the PS? Websites would be great.

Tom, within the next few weeks, as the weather gets warmer, we should definately gather a ride through Malibu or Ortega Hwy. I don't how many Classics are out here in So Cal. But any or as many as possible would be great.
The way to reach Clay is by email. You will be impressed by the quality of his work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yikes....That looks bad...But after reading all those posts. Towards the end I noticed that the eliminator kit from Evoluzione which is sold at Pro Italia isn't a problem. It's another Locator kit that had done that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I went out and measured how much room between tire plate. I got 3'' and a little bit. You think thats adequate enough?

·
Registered
66 Posts
DUCAWOLF said:
On the sport-classic discussion group at yahoo, they have a map with the locations of our bikes, sadly very few of us around. I'm up for the Ortega ride, I'll need some time to get very familiar with this bike first, before I scrape the pegs I want to know how far I can go before it gets squirlly, so far I'm super impressed by the handling, it's very friendly in the turns if you get in over your head.
The suspension on mine is one inch preload, and it uses every centimeter of travel on aggressive rides. This will definitely bottom a plate that is only 3 inches from the tire. You might have to do what I did and remove the rear shock and extend the length, and adjust the preload for a very hard ride. This will keep it from going to the bottom. Any better ideas would definitely be appreciated.
Good riding,
Tom

·
Registered
375 Posts
I noticed that the eliminator kit from Evoluzione which is sold at Pro Italia isn't a problem.
That is the kit that hit the tire. I'm still running mine with some offsets to put it further from the tire and haven't had any problems (knock on wood) yet.

·
Registered
375 Posts
With a bike so unique, why worry with putting kits on it that kids with Gixxers add to their plastic bikes?
Well, speaking for myself only, the rear fender and the brake/clutch fluid tupperware are the 2 things that I think they dropped the ball on as far as design. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to raise it up to 4'' today with some simple modification. I added a double hole 1 1/2 inch Long 3/4 inch wide flat thick sheet metal to each side under the screws. I re-bolted to the top holes and bolted the kit to the bottom ones. Its plenty of clearance. I went and started jumping Speed bumps at a local high school, to test it out. Luckily they are all on Spring Break. To make sure it was fine, I had my nephew squeeze in behind me just to add weight. But it was perfectly fine. No problems at all. I think 4'' is plenty.

I noticed in the pic with the yellow Sport. That the bike looks like it was off-roading. Its Dirty as heck. Go back and check it out. I think that might answer why there was a problem. If the terrain is that dirty and perhaps bumpy then I can see where a problem can occur.

Reducs. I agree. My plan is to also change the clutch cover.

·
Registered
310 Posts
DUCAWOLF said:
I was able to raise it up to 4'' today with some simple modification. I added a double hole 1 1/2 inch Long 3/4 inch wide flat thick sheet metal to each side under the screws. I re-bolted to the top holes and bolted the kit to the bottom ones. Its plenty of clearance. I went and started jumping Speed bumps at a local high school, to test it out. Luckily they are all on Spring Break. To make sure it was fine, I had my nephew squeeze in behind me just to add weight. But it was perfectly fine. No problems at all. I think 4'' is plenty.

I noticed in the pic with the yellow Sport. That the bike looks like it was off-roading. Its Dirty as heck. Go back and check it out. I think that might answer why there was a problem. If the terrain is that dirty and perhaps bumpy then I can see where a problem can occur.

Reducs. I agree. My plan is to also change the clutch cover.

Offroading!?!? :eek: That's called New England in the springtime! As noted, I hit a frost heave in the road that I didn't see coming, but that bike has never been "off road" except in my unpaved driveway! Yeah, it was a hard hit, but I've had much worse without any damage to any bike I've ever owned. I think for 99% of the riders out there, in 99% of the locations out there, this mod will be fine. I just happened to hit it wrong, and as it turns out, the sag was more in the 2" range than the 1" range that it should be.

Offroading! %#@*! :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
ducremus said:
Offroading!?!? :eek: That's called New England in the springtime! As noted, I hit a frost heave in the road that I didn't see coming, but that bike has never been "off road" except in my unpaved driveway! Yeah, it was a hard hit, but I've had much worse without any damage to any bike I've ever owned. I think for 99% of the riders out there, in 99% of the locations out there, this mod will be fine. I just happened to hit it wrong, and as it turns out, the sag was more in the 2" range than the 1" range that it should be.

Offroading! %#@*! :D
I think I am in that 1% with you dude. I am down in Jerseyand have some wicked RR crossings to contend with. I bottomed out the rear shock probably a day before I saw your post. But, with a nice rainy weekend, I think it's major suspension tweaking time.

Is there any preload adjustment in the forks, or do I have to do it the old way with spacers?

-phreek

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I just thought maybe offroading. :D Cause I saw so much dirt on the bike and tires. And I guess I was reading real quick so I missed the part on the frost heave. But yea, I think the mod is OK, unless you hit something real hard.

·
Registered
310 Posts
No adjustment in the front, at least until you get the Ohlins :D . I'm wondering if Ducati set up the rear so soft to match the soft front? Maybe a balanced front and rear is a better way to go than a perfect rear and a lousy front? :think:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts