Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Texas!

I’m really excited to be a part of this community! I have friends all over the country who ride Ducati’s and each one of them has urged me to become a fellow forum member.

I’ve always ridden Japanese because (until recently) I’ve could never afford to be in the big leagues with you guys.

This weekend I stumbled across the 848 promotion ($189 a month) and decided to make the pilgrimage to my local Ducati dealer. Once there, I fell in love with the 1198 & 1098. I dismissed the 1198, because I felt that the extra hp was not a huge incentive. Additionally, with the 1098 I will get a great deal! The dealership will pay the first 6 payments on the bike for me. This is a promo they have on 2008 models so it applies to the 1098s (at least I believe)

So here is where you guys come in. They have a 1098s priced at $21k that I would really like to buy. Unfortunately that is too much money for me to spend on a bike. The good thing is that there is always wiggle room on the advertised price.

So what should I offer? I have perfect credit, money for a down payment and have the willing to buy a luxury during a huge recession. So basically I’m the perfect customer!

Stories, advice and hook-ups would be greatly appreciated!
Also, I you know of a better deal in you area, please let me know. I’ve had more than one bike shipped to me.

As an incentive for members to help my cause, I will donate 5% of every dollar saved to this forum!

Come on family, bring on the wisdom 

·
Registered
68 Posts
Greetings from Texas!

I’m really excited to be a part of this community! I have friends all over the country who ride Ducati’s and each one of them has urged me to become a fellow forum member.

I’ve always ridden Japanese because (until recently) I’ve could never afford to be in the big leagues with you guys.

This weekend I stumbled across the 848 promotion ($189 a month) and decided to make the pilgrimage to my local Ducati dealer. Once there, I fell in love with the 1198 & 1098. I dismissed the 1198, because I felt that the extra hp was not a huge incentive. Additionally, with the 1098 I will get a great deal! The dealership will pay the first 6 payments on the bike for me. This is a promo they have on 2008 models so it applies to the 1098s (at least I believe)

So here is where you guys come in. They have a 1098s priced at $21k that I would really like to buy. Unfortunately that is too much money for me to spend on a bike. The good thing is that there is always wiggle room on the advertised price.

So what should I offer? I have perfect credit, money for a down payment and have the willing to buy a luxury during a huge recession. So basically I’m the perfect customer!

Also, I you know of a better deal in you area, please let me know. I’ve had more than one bike shipped to me.

As an incentive for members to help my cause, I will donate 5% of every dollar saved to this forum!

Be careful on that 189 a month. i think its for like seven or eight years. thats a long time and interest will stack up pretty high.

What part of Texas are you in?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zoom - thanks for the heads up :) I have been in banking for a long time and know the catch. We all need to be careful of marketing like that. Either way I am happy that it got me to the. dealership.

Anyone out there have some advice?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I've seen quite a few low mileage used base model 1098 that are asking in the $12K range and 1098S in the $15K range--most have some good upgrades on them. That is good alternative if you are paying with cash.

I heard the Ducati Dealer in Las Vegas is making super deals right now.

-M

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
My advice would be to buy a 1098 used. If you are looking at entry finance deals and payment plans and say you are in banking you sound like you can't afford new. Buy used and get 85% of the experience for 60% of the price

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moto - I would love to buy a gently used bike with mods and, but many banks have chosen to lend on bikes anymore. Loan default, theft and young riders are to much risk for banks now days. They require you to do a personal loan or a line of credit. The interest on these credit means are much higher than going thru the dealership.

Whippersnapper - I can afford the new bike, I am just looking to get the best price. No sense in paying more when you can pay less ;)

I just bought a house and car which resulted in me unloading a huge part of my savings. Paying finance charges at todays current rates is better than losing my liquidity.

Any ideas on how much I can get the 1098s for?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I agree about buying a used bike. You can buy one from a dealer, thats not a problem, they can get you a loan. Buying used is really a pain in the butt because you're loosing a lot of money for the initial purchase. I lost $4k the moment I drove my 848 out of the showroom and started riding it on the street. Now its worth like $9k... I paid $14 OTD for it, right when it came out.

New 07/08 1098's are going for 14k for the base and 18-20k for the "S" model out here in So-Cal, if you can find them. They might be all gone because the 1198S has been taking the world by storm!

SAVE YOUR MONEY, buy used! Don't forget, you pay up to $1,500 bux just for assembly fee's! So a $14k bike will be more like $15,500 + tax, license, luxury fee and tire disposal fee... LOL ;)

Ohh and welcome to the forums! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tye - Thanks for the advice! It would be great to find a used 1098s at a dealership.

Oh, thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Greetings from Texas!

Dealer will make the first 6 payments for you????:think::think: Are you kidding me?! WAke up! You are paying it. Walk away as you are paying too much!:crazy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
flying - I to am skeptical of the deal, but the dealership is asking the same price that other dealerships are offering. But you are right, I better watch out.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
i'm going to agree with the others. there are plenty of used Ducati 1098's (S model included) to choose from out there and offered by people experiencing some real world hurt. buy used for certain unless you absolutely want the fun of owning one new. i had the good fortune of being able to own both (848/1098):

-848 easy to ride, plenty of power for local riding. i enjoyed riding this one a bit more.
-1098 wicked fast, great brakes, better suspension and lighter wheels. wicked fast (did i say that already?). there should always be a big market for this bike.

i applaud your choice for not wanting to "lose your (remaining) liquidity." it's a great time to borrow money and only you can determine what you can afford and not, only you know your expected cash flows. take the low monthlies now, pay the loan when you accumulate some cash.

best success with your decision! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oalvarez - Thanks for the reply! It was extremely helpful! I really hope to get the s model but if I can't, I will still feel blessed to ride the base model.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oalvarez - Thanks for the reply! It was extremely helpful! I really hope to get the s model but if I can't, I will still feel blessed to ride the base model.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with riding the base. I yearned for an S as well but the money I saved by not buying a S gave me the opportunity to put some nice pieces on the bike.

Also, if you can't find used then look at buying the dealer demo if they have one. Mine was a demo and I saved big (basically used price on a new bike with 600 miles on it). My first service was also included.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've seen quite a few low mileage used base model 1098 that are asking in the $12K range and 1098S in the $15K range--most have some good upgrades on them. That is good alternative if you are paying with cash.

I heard the Ducati Dealer in Las Vegas is making super deals right now.

-M
+1 on that. It's Pat Clark Motorsports. Got a flyer from them and it looks like they're advertising MV F4's for 10k off MSRP and Bimota DB5's for 13k off. It's a funny flyer, but I remember enough of the inventory from when I bought my S2R there in Nov. With those markdowns, it looks more like they're just trying to clear the floor to stay in business....

But anyway, get in touch with them and see what kind of deal you can make. They'll probably be able to do better than what you've been offered.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your set on buying for a dealership and want a used one check out Advanced Motorsports (AMS). They have a used demo for sale every few months. I don't know how much you would save by buying a demo but I'd guess less then grand. AMS is here is Dallas, don't know what part of Texas your in though.

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Street Triple
90 Posts
Greetings from Texas!

I got a 1098s last summer at a dealer in SoCal for right at $21k including tax, license and all the set up fee mumbo jumbo stuff. So the actual price was considerably lower than $21k. I would think you could do better than that now with the 1198 in showrooms.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I hear the never buy new schpeel all the time. All I buy is new. The whiney "But you lose $x amount the minute I drove it off the lot" WTF. Who buys used and sells it for the same or more that they bought it for. Who buys anything to make money. Screw it. If you want a new one, buy a new one. Can't take it with you, my friend.

The '08 1098s were 19,999 before the euro went crazy powerful. Now its back to normal. Offer $19,000 out the door. Reasonable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts