Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the cans few days ago to see what the fuss was all about and I must say, Holy shit! 10lb of restriction each, I wonder how they get these things to meet the CA emission specs. Any way, I ordered few item to make my own cans from a guy in the UK, not very cheap but really good quality, I purchased enough material for 2 cans, just in case it is too loud, what was I thinking! After that I chopped off the exhaust at the flapper valve and built a temp. bracket to hold the can where I wanted. I took the whole bike to a performance exhaust shop, and explained what I wanted, we worked for 3 1/2 hours, trying angles and radius, finally I got it the way I wanted it. Everything was TIG welded, all stainless steel, a real pro's work, it wasn't cheap, hell no, but the results made me forget that. Any way, it's still at a stage that I still have to build a permanent bracket, reopen the can bc I forgot to line it with heat barrier, and if all pans out I'll have it ceramic coated black, of course. Any feedback would be appreciated, I don't know how it will run on the dyno yet but I'm confident it shouldn't be too hard to tweak it just right on the hands of my mechanic. Here's few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a short sound clip but I can't upload it for some reason.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thats the best looking high mount can option of any of the ideas I have seen. Good job.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
i would have put it lower in front of the fender and probably the tire too. I realize most people like the idea of keeping the tire accessible, but I prefer keeping the open line of the tail and area between the tire and tail open. I had a high rise exhaust on my last bike and liked it for a while but the lower look grew on me.

you are definitely right about the weight of the stock cans.. they are very heavy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does anyone know where you can buy just cans or sleeves? I can make my own muffler if I can find a nice carbon sleeve...

thanks!

btw it looks good, a lil' high for my taste, but still better than stock!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good job, that looks nice. The only thing I would change about it, is the angle the can up just slightly to follow the angle of the tail.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Just google carbon fiber tube and you will find plenty of suppliers

·
Registered
295 Posts
Awesome job man!!! It may be just the "Boy-Racer" in me, but I love the look of the seamed together joints going up to the can!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good job, that looks nice. The only thing I would change about it, is the angle the can up just slightly to follow the angle of the tail.
It will as soon as I get a bracket to hold the can, it pulls the tip inside bc the can inlet has a spring in the inside part of the tail only to keep the seal but yes, the end does have to come out still.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
That is actually one of the nicest ones I have seen. Good job! I bet that thing will sound good. Please keep us updated on how you plan to secure the exhaust.

Keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That is actually one of the nicest ones I have seen. Good job! I bet that thing will sound good. Please keep us updated on how you plan to secure the exhaust.

Keep the pics coming!
That's easy, a bracket made to fit did the job. I took her out for a 140 miles run today and is a blast, now that I took the cats out it idles at the light betw. 1500 and 1800, but other than that, is a bullet, no hickups, sputter, nothing, I'm very pleased with the job. One thing I'm not too happy with which I guess it's too much to ask I guess is that the CF can gets hotter than all the other I've ever had, I guess it has something to do with the can being 12" long, trioval, that means limited amount of packing, and is fed by a 2.5" pipe with no restrictions, I guess I can be happy with the result.
The sound is not as loud as I was expecting, loud, no doubt, but I was expecting an stupid loud to the point I'd have to use a power cone or a second can but it's to be described as the full Arrow system I had on my S4Rs loud, not bad at all! I'll probably have it ceramic coated this winter, I should make a jig first, hummmm!!!

http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k364/Mauro113/?action=view&current=parts023.flv

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts