Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Should I buy or not?

• Don't Buy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BUY

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already hecked this forum for a good three days before posting this, if it was further down the pages i'm sorry was at page 26 already.

I'm looking into buying a 2013 Hypermotard 821, it has 42k Kms, I live in Mexico.

I've read all about the on/off engine light, the ECU swap under warranty, the coils changed under warranty, brake discs warped and changed under warranty, etc; but just read that at 20K miles (around 32K Kms) the valves shoudl be checked.

My question is ¿How deep into the bike should I go in the PPI?

¿Any suggestions? I repeat I'm new to Ducati, but not new to bikes, have had suzuki, ktm and honda... but those were bikes I would beat the crap out of them so never really cheked before buying, planning a different lifestyle for this one.

Hope you guys can help me

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If it doesn't got it's 30k service use this info to leverage the price. And do it.

If valves are tight it will be hard to start hot, but ducati valve train tend to loosen over time.

I'd be concerned to ride it if the belts have never been changed though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it doesn't got it's 30k service use this info to leverage the price. And do it.

If valves are tight it will be hard to start hot, but ducati valve train tend to loosen over time.

I'd be concerned to ride it if the belts have never been changed though.
I'll be taking every advice into consideration since I've never even checked a ducati before

·
Registered
332 Posts
As an owner of a 2014 sp with 25k miles... If the price is very cheap and you are ready to do most of the maintenanc, I say go for it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As an owner of a 2014 sp with 25k miles... If the price is very cheap and you are ready to do most of the maintenanc, I say go for it!
Definitely looking at doing must of the work on my own, have already found parts diagram and looking for a service manual, if any exists.

Price is at $4500 USD

How does that price look for you? Ducatis are sort of rare here in Mexico, lots of people steer away from them because they are "expensive" to maintain, something I'm planning to use on my behalf when negotiating

·
Registered
332 Posts
Price sounds about right if bike is running and starts with no problems. I will say that with that kind of km you shouldn’t Have the most common issues that these 821 had with a lot of people.

personally, I had the ride by wire, o2 sensor and my ECU had to be reset during the first 5k miles, all fixed under warranty... after that no issues until I hit 23k miles, when my starter motor (one way clutch had to be repaired

I also have to admit that I haven’t been easy on her, replaced the silencer for sc project, re flash the ecu 3 times (long story) open up the air box with a mwr filter, crash a couple times, drop her another couple times, full throttle on the highway at max rpms just to try to keep up with the bigger bikes many times... so if you ask me if I love my bike... I say yes! I love her very much

my advise if you decide to buy her, do not do any mods like, new exhaust, new mapping new air filters, if she runs great, leave it as it is! Just do the regular maintenance by the book, do not try to make it run “faster” because that’s when nightmares will make you sleep less

good luck 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheap enough. Make sure belts are within specs (less than 5 yrs or 30k km) and ride.
Price sounds about right if bike is running and starts with no problems. I will say that with that kind of km you shouldn’t Have the most common issues that these 821 had with a lot of people.

personally, I had the ride by wire, o2 sensor and my ECU had to be reset during the first 5k miles, all fixed under warranty... after that no issues until I hit 23k miles, when my starter motor (one way clutch had to be repaired

I also have to admit that I haven’t been easy on her, replaced the silencer for sc project, re flash the ecu 3 times (long story) open up the air box with a mwr filter, crash a couple times, drop her another couple times, full throttle on the highway at max rpms just to try to keep up with the bigger bikes many times... so if you ask me if I love my bike... I say yes! I love her very much

my advise if you decide to buy her, do not do any mods like, new exhaust, new mapping new air filters, if she runs great, leave it as it is! Just do the regular maintenance by the book, do not try to make it run “faster” because that’s when nightmares will make you sleep less

good luck 👍

THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU

For the advices, if it checks all the boxes and I buy it you'll see pictures of it here...

·
Registered
406 Posts
$4500? So cheap it makes me want to cry. If it's in good shape - get it and have the belts and valves done. Any issues with frying electronics are usually goodwill repairs. You don't have to baby the machine - it is robust and can take a beating, but you do have to do the belts and valves. For sure the belts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts