Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PO (for some unknown reason), put plastic plugs in the holes where the rearsets attach to the engine on the right side bottom.

Those black Christmas tree plus that you see on cars. One came out easily, but the top broke off the other.

I tried prying it out with a screwdriver but it just pushed it deeper into the hole.

I just tried putting a torch in the hole to try and melt it out, but it didn’t work. It’s stuck at the bottom of the hole pretty well.

I can screw in the bolt, but it bottoms out leaving about a quarter in of thread still needing to be screwed in.

The only thing I came up with was cutting the bolt shorter so I can still screw in in, but it seems silly to cut off a bolt the steadies the break pedal because of a stupid piece of plastic.

The only other thing I thought of is to try and drill it out without damaging the existing threads. That seem a little sketchy, but it may be better than cutting the bolt.

Any suggestions? Help!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
“Plastic” is a vague term - there are thousands of different types of “plastics”. Try acetone on it to see what it does. Most likely it will soften it up considerably, maybe enough to pry it out with something like a dental pick. Harder acids need some more precautions to work with,... especially nylon content plastics.

errm,... really you should have posted or Google'd before putting fire on it, that changed the compound and made it worse.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
“Plastic” is a vague term - there are thousands of different types of “plastics”. Try acetone on it to see what it does. Most likely it will soften it up considerably, maybe enough to pry it out with something like a dental pick. Harder acids need some more precautions to work with,... especially nylon content plastics.

errm,... really you should have posted or Google'd before putting fire on it, that changed the compound and made it worse.
That’s a fair point.

Its fairly soft.Could be nylon. It’s pliable

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
I’d say Dremel it out, but you probably don’t have one of those either . Drill it out, small bit to stay away from threads. Do you have a drill ?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’d say Dremel it out, but you probably don’t have one of those either . Drill it out, small bit to stay away from threads. Do you have a drill ?
Haha, yes I have a drill. That’s what I did. Started with a small bit and worked my way up to a bit that just fit in the hole without harming the threads.

Now I can put a screw driver in the hole and I touch metal.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts