Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The 1199 S is a great bike don't get the base model to save a few thousand. With the Ohlins and headlights it's worth the price. Do any of the bikes have exhaust? I am looking for an 1199 and want one that has a full system, seat, levers etc. Saves you money and you get a great platform to make mild changes to. Agree with everyone else a low mileage bike is not always what you want.
the 1299doesn’t
But the 1199s do have termi, comfort seat. Levers. Foot rests. Etc. it isn’t tuned. I read Bren tuning map is great. But I don’t know shitttt.

a 2013 1199s stock for 10k 4.800 mi in pensylvania
2014s with add ons for 12-12.5k 3700mi
In North Carolina

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think if this is your first bike you really need the r6 or something...an 1199 is nothing but a 2 wheel hospital trolley to a beginner...forget everything thing I said about ohlins...don't think you can buy a laptime...and never be in a hurry to go fast....palm to face

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It’s not the first bike I’ve owned but def the first liter bike. And never been on a track so I’m def not going to be Saving any seconds as I’ve never established a single second lol
I really love the bike looks and characteristics. I want something to ride and enjoy every day and rip the shit out of plus will look nice next to the Benz. I think when I start my track journey I’ll be a newbie so generally I wouldn’t throw myself insomething expensive for that or huge I rather work my way up. So with that being my over all goal. Thats why I thought I’d love a 1299S but would be better grabbing the same 15-16k and getting a base 1299Ducati for daily riding and then buy a bike just for track that I can beat up. Whenever I get good with that which I’m guessing is a year, then I’ll be more ballsy to throw an expensive bike on there. With that said does the base make sense now?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just you can answer this. There's people buying base models everywhere otherwise they would not make them.

But for me buying a non-S model is like buying a v6 mustang.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you get a track bike down the road that has ohlins your base model beauty will be looked at like it's garbage...lol...but still ...there's plenty to be learned from the base...just don't expect to hold on to it once you get a track bike sorted...the last thing to consider is your weight...if your over or under the designed weight your going to need new springs which typically means cartridges which really means you should have got the s model.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would say get the base you probably won't notice much of difference between the S and base. Also think 1199/1299 with no previous liter bike experience. Damn that's a lot of bike even for experienced riders. It's your money, but I would respect that throttle cause these are not bikes to learn on. 899/959 or even 848 the way I would go for around $8k-12k you have money left for maintenance and suspension mods. Don't just buy based on the cc game smaller displacement bikes are just as much fun and not as scary if you make a mistake.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts