Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’m looking to buy a good 1199s or 1299. I found a few and have been struggling to decide.
-2013 1199s( looks like a 12 fairing) for 10.5k with 4800 miles

-2014 1199s with only 20 miles??? Very low for year apparently the guys father in law bought it new from dealership and never used. he wants 12k but I haven’t offered him anything yet.

2015 1299s with 10k miles for 11.5 k

what do you guys think would be best? I live in Frederick Maryland/ suburbs. Country roads. Lots of high ways and mountain roads.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
The information provided, unless tracked often, the mileage does not matter on the machines with miles on them. 20 miles is more of a concern than 11k miles.
In short, 1299

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input, so I guess it’s safe to say the 20 mile one would not be the best option due to it sitting. I honestly would have gone for that not knowing.

I guess overall verdict comes to a 1299.
Just found a 2015 base 1299 and he only wants 11500 with 8000 miles. I think that’s better the other one actually had 13k miles.

is a base 1299 really much better than a 2014 1199s ? Guess I’m asking bc I found one w 7600 miles just serviced for 12k

·
Registered
473 Posts
If your buying the bike to go fast...then choose the base....if your buying the bike to go faster...get the s no question...yes the more mileage bike is better sorted...but these are basic growing pains...ohlins alone is worth the risk

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would take the 1299s anyway, 13k miles is not a lot. Lighter forged wheels and ohlins are more interesting than 5k miles less on the machine imho.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would take the 1299s anyway, 13k miles is not a lot. Lighter forged wheels and ohlins are more interesting than 5k miles less on the machine imho.
I was thinking of doing that too. I just didn’t want to fork over another 1500-2k within the next 2 thousand miles. Would almost make me want to spend more bc of that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your buying the bike to go fast...then choose the base....if your buying the bike to go faster...get the s no question...yes the more mileage bike is better sorted...but these are basic growing pains...ohlins alone is worth the risk

what do you mean by fast go 1299 but faster 1199s??
I know the 1199 is more abrupt and spikes fast. Faster because it’s more nimble?
btw I’ve never raced on a track if that makes for better suggestions.
def plan on getting into track sessions next year

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is no comparing ohlins against a stock shock...the suspension is the limiting factor when trying to go faster...don't be fooled...they are both fast bikes...however a slow bike with a superior suspension can be the faster bike...not to say an 1199 is slow...but that's why I said if your fast you might not need the ohlins...but if your pushing to be faster...you will inevitably need the better suspension...and upgrades down the road are very cost prohibitive when compared to a bike that already has the parts fitted...they're both good bikes but I would take the ohlins version in a heartbeat

·
Registered
832 Posts
I was thinking of doing that too. I just didn’t want to fork over another 1500-2k within the next 2 thousand miles. Would almost make me want to spend more bc of that.
Ha I see you think about the 15k service, if from a dealer negotiate to include the service or a discount, if from a private seller use this to leverage the price, or continue the hunt for a 1299s with less mileage ;)

The S not only translate to go faster, but better resale value and riding pleasure too.

And if the bike is #1 I wouldn't be afraid to extend the service to 18-20k.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 1199 S is a great bike don't get the base model to save a few thousand. With the Ohlins and headlights it's worth the price. Do any of the bikes have exhaust? I am looking for an 1199 and want one that has a full system, seat, levers etc. Saves you money and you get a great platform to make mild changes to. Agree with everyone else a low mileage bike is not always what you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so it looks like the base is good but Öhlins would inevitably make me a better rider and have more joy. Tbh both bikes will be fast for me. I looked around guys and all the 2015S models are like 15-16 k.
But I found another 2015 base 1299 with 7800 miles just serviced for 10.7k just serviced:

found another 2014 1199s for 12k with 7700 miles just serviced in North Carolina.
Would a 1199 be good enough for first timer?
I was thinking Would it be good to save the 5k by not going S. Get a base to enjoy . And use the 5k buy a smaller bikeand really learn on a track plus if it drops who cares it’s just an r6 or something??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts