Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic, so I did search the forums to get an idea on how to remove the stock exhaust, headers, O2 sensor, etc. Thanks for everyone's posts for getting me to that point. But now, I'm stuck.

I slipped the penta onto the bike just to see how it would fit, but I noticed that the opening that would connect to the midpipe is practically flush with the subframe (unlike the original silencer opening which bends at a downward angle)... Sorry, I don't have any pics to show you what I'm referring to...

Then I went back to the "instructions" and noticed the following:

"Put spacers from kit upon the valve engine in order to obtain clearance for the silencer."

I did see the spacers but am not sure where to put them. If "valve engine" in the instructions refers to the servo/exhaust valve thingy, I'm using the Zard collectors, too, so any ideas?

While I got stuck regarding that, I decided to see if I could do anything else and looked at the rear turn signals and license plate... From the instructions, it looks like I have to remove the stock rear signals and license plate holder and mount them to the penta silencer. I know I can "split" the plastic stock signal mount, but how would I remove the signals themselves? I can unscrew the bolts and unplug the signals (and see the wires), but I don't see a way to unplug the signals at that point... Will I have to unplug the signals further up the wires at the connectors that are where the battery is located? Again, sorry I don't have any pictures to post.

Thanks in advance for any advice (or words of encouragement).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can't help with the Zard but yes, you do have to unhook the connectors for the turn signals under the seat. Here's a diagram from the service manual. The connectors are #'s 51 & 52. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great visual aid.

Can't help with the Zard but yes, you do have to unhook the connectors for the turn signals under the seat. Here's a diagram from the service manual. The connectors are #'s 51 & 52. Hope this helps.
mteitler, thanks for the diagram!

·
Registered
122 Posts
blaquemasque, if you still need it shoot me a pm with your email, I can email you photos of each attachment point so you can see how the spacers are placed and such. I'll send you photos along the whole exhaust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Install complete.

I was able to get the Penta system installed. I checked everything over and realized that the front header wasn't connecting properly to the horizontal cylinder. Fixing that actually fixed placement of the 2-into-1 pipe and the actual exhaust--both fit close to the frame but there's clearance, unlike before.

I removed the exhaust valve motor, so the spacers that came with the Penta was no longer an issue. Of course, I get the annoying related error codes for the missing valve motor but for the time being I can live with it.

Overall, it was a worthwhile learning experience. And the exhaust restored the growl and boom that was missing from my bike in stock configuration. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts