Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about wrapping my headers and pipes. I have termi undertail slip ons (dont think that matters)
Question is : will the tape burn?, I saw some images in another post on this forum with the bent pipe glowing RED.

Finally any tips on wrapping?
any images?
Thanks

561 Posts
sprits the wrap tape with water before you wrap it,it will allow for a tighter fit when it dries, and also get the silicone spray that goes with it .

·
Registered
188 Posts
The tape will not burn, your pipe would melt first.

1. Wet the tape, wrap tight
2. Wear gloves
3. Use the provided steel ties
4. Get some if they're not provided
5. Use a heat gun afterwards if you have one.
6a. DON'T run the engine when they're wet /or/
6b. DO run the engine when they're wet, in a well ventilated spot (supposed to stink and smoke pretty bad).

I have read that you may need to adjust your map (depending on how anal you are) since the gas will be obtaining higher velocities due to the increased heat it retains. I believe it would be on the order of tuning a slip-on, so really not a biggie. The source is A. Bell, Four Stroke Performance Tuning, not really an engineer or expert, but the guy has lots of tuning experience.

·
Registered
290 Posts
When I do it, i soak the whole roll in water. Makes a bit of a mess but its easier to work with when wet. Keep in mind, if you use black tape, it will lose it's color after awhile.

·
Registered
605 Posts
To retain heat in the pipe, and shield the surrounding areas. That said, its not the best thing for the pipe, depending on the construction. The pipe can overheat. A better solution is ceramic coating, done INSIDE and outside. This I have done on another bike with a stainless exhaust and it works well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts