Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per title said, I need to know what modification you have to do to the front fender to fit tire warmer at front wheel. The front fender on my Ducati 916 is real close to the tire, i have to run without the front fender to use tire warmer on my front wheel.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sure someone out there using tire warmer on this bike. I'm thinking elongate out the mounting holes, but before doing that I just want to hear what other peoples did.

·
grand poobah
715 Posts
I have tracked my 916 and multiple 748s over the years. I have never had an issue with "fitting" warmers. I run Dunlop tires and Chicken hawk tire warmers, they seem to fit just fine with the stock fender and with the carbon fenders I run. Your front tire may have an odd taller profile or the fender is just not fitted well. If the fender really is the issue, I would consider a change to a stock fender or a carbon one made by a reputable manufacturer. On my stock street bike, the fit is " tight " but it should go.
As for placing the warmer, I have to get the initial velcro strap pretty tight and up against a rim spoke to hold it in place, as there is a bit of technique to pulling the warmer to fit snug as you spin the wheel and warmer back up under the fender. Hard to explain in words. By the way pics always help solve a problem. Include some pics of the issue you are having and we can go from there. You should not have to run without a front fender. The marbles coming back up would be very annoying at speed on the track. Best Wishes Brad.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tracked my 916 and multiple 748s over the years. I have never had an issue with "fitting" warmers. I run Dunlop tires and Chicken hawk tire warmers, they seem to fit just fine with the stock fender and with the carbon fenders I run. Your front tire may have an odd taller profile or the fender is just not fitted well. If the fender really is the issue, I would consider a change to a stock fender or a carbon one made by a reputable manufacturer. On my stock street bike, the fit is " tight " but it should go.
As for placing the warmer, I have to get the initial velcro strap pretty tight and up against a rim spoke to hold it in place, as there is a bit of technique to pulling the warmer to fit snug as you spin the wheel and warmer back up under the fender. Hard to explain in words. By the way pics always help solve a problem. Include some pics of the issue you are having and we can go from there. You should not have to run without a front fender. The marbles coming back up would be very annoying at speed on the track. Best Wishes Brad.
I bought the Woodcraft tire warmers a few years back, after trying to put them on for a few time to no avail. I end up having to sell it thru ebay and running with out tire warmer. Now I feel the itch to take my bike to the track again, but I want to run with tire warmer. My problems probably from Woodcraft tire warmers, as i read some where that there tire warmer is thicker on material.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I bought the Woodcraft tire warmers a few years back, after trying to put them on for a few time to no avail. I end up having to sell it thru ebay and running with out tire warmer. Now I feel the itch to take my bike to the track again, but I want to run with tire warmer. My problems probably from Woodcraft tire warmers, as i read some where that there tire warmer is thicker on material.
I just got woodcraft warmers. I'll try to fit them on mine, this weekend and see. I also have chicken hawk ones that I use on my ninja, I can try too.

If they work, you can always swing by and try them in yours.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I would think if they are just too tight for any warmers that you could make a plate to fit between the fender and mounting points. Flat head cap screw through plate to flush mount into mounting threads. Another set going the other way, slightly above to mount the fender on with cap nuts in a vertically offset fashion. Use a single flute 82 degree counter sink (MA Ford) to put the holes in the plates (from both sides). Thin 304SS for the plate, stainless cap screws matching existing size and thread pitch. Stainless cap nuts. If you can't get to the back of the fender studs, tack those screws to the plate. No welder? J&B Weld. There should be plenty of flex in the fenders to install them after putting the plates on first with the screws that will still turn.

You could use the warmers of choice and nothing would prevent you from reverting bike to original configuration. Make sure you have the clearances at fork compression before starting the project.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've run WoodCraft and SVParts tire warms on my 748 with the stock front fender and the Fiberglass fender from my Hot Bodies track bodywork. Never had an issue fitting the tire warmer in there. The Hot Bodies fender is actually closer than the stock fender. Both sets of warmers rub on the fender a bit, but I guess I don't consider that abnormal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts