Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if there is a difference between the 999 TPS and the 1098 TPS. Or if they are wired differently.
My problem is that i have a 1098 motor in my 999 and am trying to run it through my 999 harness and dash and when i switch it on it throws up a TPS error, if i plug it back in to the 999 TPS then no error. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one got any info on this, I've been through the harness and it looks ok.(Mabe not in this picture.)

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Have you done a TPS reset yet?

·
Registered
34 Posts
According to the 999 wire diagram and the 1098 wire diagram the TPS should be wired exactly the same.
The negative comes from the ECU at pin engine 29 (snsgnd2)
the positive come from the ECU at pin engine 32 (snssply1)
the signal goes to ECU at pin engine 3 (TPS)

Again, This is the same on both 999 and 1098.

I think the easiest and first test should be those input/outputs.
The problem is that you can't really put a probe in the connector while it is connected and if it isn't, there is nothing to measure.

What I do is use a bit of safety wire (the type you use on the racetrack) and poke it into the connector from the back, throu the rubber seal. That way you can connect the TPS and still measure the output.
One cable should be negative, one should be around 5V (a bit less normally with 4.something) and one should go up and down between 0.something and 4.something while you move the TPS.

If I am not mistaken there is one added issue. The ECU will power the TPS only for a few seconds after turning on ignition, if the motor is not started within this time the TPS power will should down, e.g. you need to keep switching on and off the ignition while you measure.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: peter139

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spent some time yesterday with a 1098 and tested voltages coming from the harness at the TPS. What i found was that they are wired differently to a 999 harness. The 1098 earth is in the middle and the 4.5v is on the top of TPS looking at it from the left hand side, where as the 999 earth is at the top on the harness plug and the 4.5v is in the middle, that is why mine was throwing up a short circuit TPS error on the dash. Switched the wires around and "bingo" she fired straight up on my old 999 ECU. Now just have to get my spare ECU back to Tom and have the immobilizer switched off then off to the dyno to make some noise!

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I spent some time yesterday with a 1098 and tested voltages coming from the harness at the TPS. What i found was that they are wired differently to a 999 harness. The 1098 earth is in the middle and the 4.5v is on the top of TPS looking at it from the left hand side, where as the 999 earth is at the top on the harness plug and the 4.5v is in the middle, that is why mine was throwing up a short circuit TPS error on the dash. Switched the wires around and "bingo" she fired straight up on my old 999 ECU. Now just have to get my spare ECU back to Tom and have the immobilizer switched off then off to the dyno to make some noise!
I'm surprised that you could have got a valid TPS reset with it connected improperly.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Sorry I didnt have time to see this, I had a 748R harness and it has the proper connector for 1098 tps, but they switched the leadings, why? its the way it is.

Now its too late but if anyone reads it later...
You can measure the resistance, no need to have it connected to the ecu as its just a simple resistor. It should have loads of resistance on idle and way less on wot.

Now the possibility to see what wire does what to the ecu on the 999 is limited, realise that, but again you can learn what wire it is or just swap them if its reluctant to start right away. It says bang or not.

Just to start a 1098 with a 748 eprom will totally work, which means you can start after a swap, but it wont rev much, should start and idle well though, as requirements for idle are pretty much the same for all engines.

Same way a 999 engine with a 749 ecu will start right away, but if you try and use it will die.

·
Registered
314 Posts
just resurrecting this thread as I'm utilising the 1198 DTC loom on a predominately 999 testa engined 748R

the TPS reset had me fooled as it was working backwards on my microtec ecu...the answer was the 999 and 1198 looms are wired differently to the tps
eng 29 and eng 3 are reversed........

sorted!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts