Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... I recently changes sprockets/chain and need to adjust the ride height. I've been working for almost 4 hours trying to get the jam nuts loose on the linkage. Anyhow, it looks like I'm going to need to take it off. Do you have to remove the shock to remove the linkage?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
you should, with patience, be able to loosen the nuts insitue you do know that one of the nuts is a left hand thread dont you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I'm letting it soak with some thread release and gonna try again later this afternoon. Yeah, the repair manual shows that the bottom nut (one with the marks) is the one with left-handed threads.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It took me 4 or 5 hours of spraying it with PB Blaster, wacking it with a rubber mallet, and general cussing and swearing before mine budged.

Spray both ends with some type of pentrating lube and let it sit overnight.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I recently had this problem with mine, I left it soaking overnight in WD40, it shifted OK after that. When I re-installed it I packed loads of copper grease in it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after soaking with PB Blaster, it's still seized. I also tried some heat with no results. I guess the linkage is going to have to come off. The manual says that I need to remove the rear wheel and shock in order to remove the linkage. Is that accurate?

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you remove the rear wheel it will be better for access. Taking out the link and shock is no big deal. Lift up on the chain and the bottom bolt will come out. The nut is captured so there is no need to hold the other end. Same type of deal on the rocker, it is threaded. The nuts are aluminum so take care not to round them.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
pusher748 said:
Well after soaking with PB Blaster, it's still seized. I also tried some heat with no results. I guess the linkage is going to have to come off. The manual says that I need to remove the rear wheel and shock in order to remove the linkage. Is that accurate?

Thanks again for the help.
More heat!!! Even if you have to take the linkage off of the bike, that will be the best way to free those bolts.

You know that one of the bolts threads in the opposite direction don't you?

Yes, rear wheel will need to come off. As far as the shock, technically no, but it will be easier if you just take the whole assembly off. To get at the lower bolt, remove the chain guard and loosen the chain all the way. You can then lift the chain just enough to get at the bolt. You will need an 8mm hex for your ratchet and torque wrench to make this job easiest.

Good luck,
Tony

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody for the help. I had to got the route of taking off the wheel and shock. But finally got the jam nuts loose and the ride height adjusted. Soaked the linkage in PB Blaster all night, a little heat and the jam nuts loosed up quite easily.

Again, I appreciate everyones help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts