Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

help with slow tire leak on my new multistrada

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  The Fixer 
#1 ·
800 miles on my 2012 Multistrada with no issue and then noted a slow leak in the rear tire, will lose 10 lbs of pressure overnight or after riding 4 hrs. No signs of a puncture, I do notice it's hard to put air in through the valve stem now. Is it possible the valve stem is defective and leaking, or am I missing a small puncture? Should I put ride-on in it, replace the valve stem, or should I take it in? I don't have the skills or interest in taking the tire off the rim myself.

#2 ·
You can remove and replace the valve core with a small tool you can get (or borrow) from Autozone). They can get sticky and allow slow leaks. Simple to do and doesn't require tire removal. If you have a centerstand or Pit Bull, put the bike up on it before letting the air out. If the new core holds air problem solved :)

You can also look for leaks by pouring water on the wheel as you turn it and look for bubbling. Again, a lot easier if you have a centersyand (or Pit Bull stand).

Dave

#4 ·
Ducatis use alum valve stems, the cores will strip if you look at them wrong. Having dealt with this a few times (I've tried replacing just the core which has never been successful). Too much torque when tightening they'll strip and leak, too little and they'll leak.

I know you don't want to hear it but my advice is to get a new valve stem dismount the tire and put new complete stem in. For me it's easy as I change my own tires.

Chris

#7 ·
shoulda kept your mouth shut. the plug nazis will arrive soon. I've used that system for almost 15 years now on bikes and cars w/o issue. that's all I'll say.

#9 ·
Valve cores are often cheap and nasty and can fail or get crap in the seal. I always carry a few extra and a removal tool. I bought some better than average auto stores ones.

Another point is that you should pick up a properly sealed valve cap. There are many blinged ones available for cosmetic purposes that have no seal in them at all. Look for some with a proper flexible gasket or o-ring inside the cap. These will seal the air in even if the valve is faulty or has a bit of grit in it.

Just an extra level of safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.