Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post here. I just traded up from a Monster to a 2000 748s. Love the bike, but after picking the bike up I noticed that the coolant level was low (or even empty), I mixed up some coolant, distilled water and water wetter to add, and it all came tumbling out from some mystery location. I can't tell if there is actually fluid in the radiator, or if leak is from the radiator, or if there's a loose drain plug or if its from the plastic reservoir itself. My guess is the latter since I've now read that this is quite a common occurence on these bikes.

Is this an easy DIY job? If so, how do I do it? Does it require removing the triple? Or do I remove just the tank and airbox? Thanks in addvance for your help.

BTW - just found a similar post on this for a 916 which helps a little. How much is a bottle/reservoir from the dealer?

·
Registered
407 Posts
breukelen said:
1) Is this an easy DIY job?

2) If so, how do I do it? Does it require removing the triple?

3) Or do I remove just the tank and airbox?

4) How much is a bottle/reservoir from the dealer?
1) Yes, very

2) See #3 (do not remove the triple)

3) Yes and yes - it will all be very easy to see what needs to be done once you have the tank and airbox off...

4) I don't remember what I paid but be warned that the replacement has the same probablity of failure as the original... some people simply epoxy the area where the leak is (or around the entire seam).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have had hell with the bottle on my 996. its a pretty easy fix. You should be able to get one for less than $40 Im not sure what dealer charge for them. If they want more than 40 go to bikebandit.com. I am actually on my 3rd res tank right now, but Im in the process of building one from aluminum so that i dont have this problem again. Only down fall is that you cant see the coolant level with aluminum.

Anyway as I said its pretty easy swap. Pull your gas tank and air box out and you can get to the bottle. Its fit up pretty sug into the frame. when putting the new one in #1 make sure that the one you get has the hoses already attached to the res bottle. Why??? Because the bottle is plastic, and the factor hose clamps are perfect. If you put the hoses on yourself there is a good chance that you will get them to tight an crack the bottle or to loose and it will leak or blow off under pressure. Fit the new bottle into place and put your hose clamps on at the radiator ect. Also I would highly recommend getting a manual if you plan on doing jobs like this. it makes things alot easier.

Ohh and one more thing be careful taking the tank off. The quick connect fittings are plastic and break easy. I broke one the 1st time I took my tank off

·
Registered
78 Posts
coolant tank

If your 2000 is still oem, you probably still have hose clamps on your tank and not QCs. Syphon the tank first and while it's out you could change the fuel filter. The aIRBOX is now easily removed giving you free access to the tank in question. Piece of cake!

·
Super Moderator
8,295 Posts
grendels_arm said:
Some 748's don't have the quick disconnects.
Yepp! :) only the 748E´s DON´T have quickfittings for the fuelpump (as i recall).

In regard to the question.. It´s a simple fix. Just be careful and make sure to take your time. I´ve also had leaks from where the pumphoses meet on the left side of the engine. There was an adapter that had come loose. Simple tightning and it was fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the advice guys!

While I'm at the dealer, what else should I pick up "just in case" - things like clips, rings, etc. if they are needed, in addition to the coolant bottle?

·
Super Moderator
8,295 Posts
Get O-rings for the Quick-connect fuelline fittings.
Get some vaseline, because your gonna have to "grease" those o-rings when putting them back.

If you plan to get the pump out to do the fuel-filter replacement, then get an O-ring for that aswell (The O-ring that seals between gastank and fuelpump assembly). Get three longer screws to ease your assembly (M6? maybe?)

That´s about it i guess..

//amullo

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
remember to push the QD tab IN when re-connecting them - to avoid snagging and potentially scuffing/breaking an O-ring.

In emergency, you can use a chain O-ring in their place... ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
sorry for bringing this back from the dead but does the 2001 748 regular have the quick disconnect? i thought there was a change between the 2000 and 2001.

·
Registered
204 Posts
AzCamel said:
sorry for bringing this back from the dead but does the 2001 748 regular have the quick disconnect? i thought there was a change between the 2000 and 2001.
I'm going to ventrue a guess and say that the 'regular" 748 does not have QD's. I have an '01 "regular" that I changed over to QD's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
same problem 2002 748s

I got a mystery leak and after pullin her apart a small hair line crack was leaking from res under the ignition. question the top coolant is the "bottle"? and the one sitting on the engine is the resivoir? the level of coolant in lower is very minimal maybe 1/2 inch however the top one is about 1/2 below min line is this right? have lost some coolant MAYBE 6oz. And last but not least willa 2001 haynes manual work for my 2002 I can only find them up to 2001?
sorry to hyjack your thread I just figured we were in the same boat.

·
Registered
372 Posts
paulo57509 said:
I'm going to ventrue a guess and say that the 'regular" 748 does not have QD's. I have an '01 "regular" that I changed over to QD's.
Dam, anyone else know for sure?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
ANTS748S said:
I got a mystery leak and after pullin her apart a small hair line crack was leaking from res under the ignition. question the top coolant is the "bottle"? and the one sitting on the engine is the resivoir? the level of coolant in lower is very minimal maybe 1/2 inch however the top one is about 1/2 below min line is this right? have lost some coolant MAYBE 6oz. And last but not least willa 2001 haynes manual work for my 2002 I can only find them up to 2001?
sorry to hyjack your thread I just figured we were in the same boat.
The reservoir under the ignition, behind the steering stem is the main coolant reservoir. The plastic tankdeep in the "V" of the motor, under the charcoal evaporative cannister, is the overflow/recovery tank - to which overheated fluid escapes temporarily from the system, and then is sucked back into the system once it cools down, to avoid having to top it up again after the system overflows on a very hot day, in traffic, etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,295 Posts
The 748 sold as 748E (Economica) does not have quick connect fittings.

The bad news is that it´s not possible to install QC fittings in that pump. The good news is that a 748S pump WILL fit the tank and installing "male" QC-fittings on the feed lines is easy enough (just make sure they are TIGHT!).

//amullo

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks old baldy

While replacing the coolant res I broke a union under the tank $70 :eek: It's comical I went to the dealership and was expecting $15 on the high side

1 - 20 of 21 Posts