Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I just bought a second hand Monster 1200R, coming off an 1100 evo. I'm really sorry to say Im so disappointed! The problems I have are
1. The seat is really small and with the seat cowl in place you cant slide back for more aggressive riding.
2. Related to the position of the seat the frame plugs really get in the way when you are gripping the bike.
3. Probably the most disappointing thing is the Ohlins suspension. They.ve put such stiff springs in that the ride is really bumpy, even on the softest of settings. Its like Panigale firm.

I feel like Ive wasted a huge amount of money and should of probably bought a brand new 2017 Monster 1200, or even worse I just missed out on a really cheap 2014 1200s. It even had narrower bars fitted so you get into a decent position.

Anyway I really need some help. Do I sell it back to the dealer for a big loss and look at something else. Im really kicking myself on having missed out on the other bike - it was well sorted and the Ohlins on the S is so smooth.

I'm so frustrated Im looking at a second hand Streetfighter 848 just to get out of this mess!

·
Registered
7 Posts
İ think you should try M821.. if you like it change it

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I feel your pain however, sometimes i have gotten upset with a purchase only to find out later I inflated the problems and took a hit to get out of the purchase. Time seems to be of the essence but unless you can reverse a purchase with the dealer or an even exchange that many dealers will agree to, getting in a hurry to "fix your mistake" can be expensive. There are a number of great things about that bike. Expecting the springs to be perfect for your weight almost never works out. Having the suspension tailored to you and your riding style may be the best you ever had. There are solutions for all the problems starting with the adjustments that the bike supports in native mode.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Take it to a suspension guru near you

My buddy has a Panigale R and he hated it on the street till he had it tuned, now he loves it

Frame plugs, dunno what the problem is, I love the seat and position of my 1200S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The seat is different to the 1200s. It is small and so pushes you forward. The seat cowl is also very large with a pronounced bump on the front of it. It is probably just a combination of my particular size and the seat. So if I try and grip the tank your knees press into the frame pllugs which is very uncomfortable.

I know it sounds whiny but that and the other things really effects the riding experience. One thing I can't complain about though is the power. Its a beast

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quite honestly didn't think that there is so much of a difference between the S and the R! I have a 1200S, and love the seating position. Granted, I am not a track day or even an aggressive rider, I don't even complaint about the rear footpegs like everyone else!

Have you considered aftermarket seats? Luimoto, Ducati Performance....etc? Have you verified that your suspension is functioning normally? I recall someone complaining that he could feel no difference between the two ends of the spectrum only to find out that the front forks were malfunctioning.

It is a great bike, don't jump to hasty decisions , give it some time to sink in and work around the bike. If you eventually arrive at the conclusion that this isn't the one for you, then you can start looking for alternatives.

my $0.02

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
Is the seat adjustable like on the other 1200 models? maybe try fiddling with that and then try the alternate seats, the Comfort, the Low etc, I'm sure I've seen them as alternatives for the R too.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Were you fortunate enough that the 1100EVO fit you right out of the box? No sarcasm just an honest question as I've always had to tweak a few things on all my bikes to get them to fit right. Giving up on an Ohlins suspension seems like a crime. As others have mentioned, a competent suspension tech can get it dialed in. Seat changes are easy enough. If the frame plugs are in the way then just remove them. A second hand Streetfighter, or any bike, can present you with the same issues. Seems like a few modifications will make it "yours".

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes! the 1100evo fit me like a glove! It also made the most amazing sound with termis.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Im just quite susceptible to buyers remorse! I've been tinkering this week and spoke to a Ducati mechanic. The springs in the Ohlins can be changed to make it less stiff, although reading reviews of the 1200r they say the suspension is the same as the S, just with different damping. Does that means the springs are different or the way the damping is set in the actual suspension. If it is the springs, they are relatively inexpensive to change.

I've gone for a few more rides and am getting more used to the seat and the frame plugs - should be OK after a period of adjustment.

The last issue is the feel from the front end. This monster is much more upright than the 1100 so I don't feel like I know what the front end is doing. I can fit lower and narrower bars but don't know if that will be enough.

I'm thinking now maybe I should of got the new Supersport S - it has a more aggressive riding position and softer Ohlins. I ruled it out previously though because you can't get a decent exhaust for it, other than the full system. Would of been about the same price.

Anyway, I must sound like a complete lunatic, but its just super annoying when you feel you didnt get it right and made a potentially expensive mistake.

Has anyone compared handling of the Supersport to the Monster?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes! the 1100evo fit me like a glove! It also made the most amazing sound with termis.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Im just quite susceptible to buyers remorse! I've been tinkering this week and spoke to a Ducati mechanic. The springs in the Ohlins can be changed to make it less stiff, although reading reviews of the 1200r they say the suspension is the same as the S, just with different damping. Does that means the springs are different or the way the damping is set in the actual suspension. If it is the springs, they are relatively inexpensive to change.

I've gone for a few more rides and am getting more used to the seat and the frame plugs - should be OK after a period of adjustment.

The last issue is the feel from the front end. This monster is much more upright than the 1100 so I don't feel like I know what the front end is doing. I can fit lower and narrower bars but don't know if that will be enough.

I'm thinking now maybe I should of got the new Supersport S - it has a more aggressive riding position and softer Ohlins. I ruled it out previously though because you can't get a decent exhaust for it, other than the full system. Would of been about the same price.

Anyway, I must sound like a complete lunatic, but its just super annoying when you feel you didnt get it right and made a potentially expensive mistake.

I put rizoma drag bars on mine. It helped me feel more planted. I've seen someone do clip ons on a 1200s from another bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Shim stacks can be changed to adjust valving but the proper rate spring for your weight is the first thing to correct assuming you have set sag properly and baselined compression and rebound.

My suggestion would be to start with getting the suspension dialed in starting with the forks and proper sag set for both front and rear. Have you adjusted the sag yet? That should have been the first thing to check. Where is the compression setting now? A ride height adjustment has cured many an ill-handling bike but it may take several iterations to get it right. Keep track of your changes and where the settings are now and make notes on what works and doesn't work. This may turn into your next favorite bike.

Ducs are jokingly referred to as high maintenance Italian girlfriends (or mistresses ?). Regular attention and maintenance are required.

Good luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts

None of this was making any sense to me until I read your 4th paragraph in this post. I too came from an air cooled Monster, aggressive seating position, light flickable and when I test rode the M1200 it felt huge, cruiser like, and I had no idea what the front end was doing. I hated it, bought a SF instead. Which brings me to a suggestion on bars...the SF bars are very aggressive and narrow. Maybe try those and then some adjustable pegs to get your feet up and back to put you over the bars more. The long wheelbase was the reason I didn't get that bike, not much can be done about that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts