Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my bike for about four months now and I have about 4500 km on it. I added a FatDuc which really improved low end performance. I also changed the tires (due to a piece of angle iron) to Bridgestone BT-021's which made a tremendous improvement in high speed manuvering.

I replaced the stock mirrors with CRG LS bar end mirrors mounted on Manic Salamander bar end weights. I also replaced the peeling paint brake fluid and clutch fluid resoivour covers with nice billeted aluminium ones.

I have now just recieved a set of new Staintune pipes and I bought a slightly used Dietrich's air box lid from another member of this forum. Installing the Staintunes looks easy even for a mechanical dummy like me. I do wonder what kind of high temperature sealant I should use.

Installing the air box lid also looks easy but I am a little nervous about detaching the fuel tank. I know I don't need to completely remove it but remember I am a mechanical dummy. I would appreciate any pointers from the experience base I know is out there. How do I hold the tank out of the way while I'm installing the box lid?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
You don't need to disconnect anything to install the cover. Just remove the single bolt at the back of the tank and you can lift it out of the way, support it with a piece of wood. Be careful removing the stock bolts, they like to strip out the inserts in the plastic, then you have to remove the tank to drill them out and glue the inserts back in. :mad: Here's how I've done it a couple times: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=36470&highlight=airbox+cover

·
Registered
737 Posts
When i installed the lid...i propped my tank up with an old keyboard i had laying around. All very high tech :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would use a high-temp red silicone to seal theheader/silencer area. Don't be shy about it. Leaks there will send you on a diagnostic goose chase.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need to disconnect anything to install the cover. Just remove the single bolt at the back of the tank and you can lift it out of the way, support it with a piece of wood. Be careful removing the stock bolts, they like to strip out the inserts in the plastic, then you have to remove the tank to drill them out and glue the inserts back in. :mad: Here's how I've done it a couple times: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=36470&highlight=airbox+cover
Thanks for the advice. What exactly do you mean about being careful? Are the stock bolts held with some sort of locking cement? I am assuming they are normal right hand thread. Are there any particular tricks to removing them?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yes, they are just standard little bolts, lefty loosey. I don't know any tricks other than to go slow and use steady preasure to break them loose. That way you can fell if they are loosening or spinning the insert. I've heard a couple cases of problems with this, but it seems like most people have no problem. Mine were way too tight from the factory in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Staintunes are a bit too long

I finally go hold of some high temperature red silicone and I tried to install my Staintunes this weekend. The slip-ons seem to be about 8 mm too long. With the slip-on pushed all the way onto the exhaust hearder I still cannot line up the bolts to attach the pipes. It apprears to me I need to cut about 8mm off of the end of each Staintune. Am I crazy, stupid, or does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know what the Staintune brackets look like. Is it possible that the brackets are on the wrong mufflers?
I don't think so. The brackets are welded to the mufflers

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you have not already I would do a search on the site. I recall seeing other posts that discussed a similar issue. I think someone did need to grind some material off the pipes to make them fit.....but by all means check the site before you go that route.

The only other recommendation is to lossen all the bolts in the exhaust up to the engine while you are trying to fit the cans.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got my Staintunes on

I finally got the pipes on my bike and they are great. They look good, sound good and most importantly my 4th, 5th and 6th gear acceleration is noticeably better. The pipes make an excellent combination with my FatDuc O2 analyzer tuner to richen up the fuel mixture. My next mod is to add a Dietrich's air box cover.

I had to remove about 8mm from each of the pipes to make them fit on the bike. I tried loosening all of the clamps including the equalizing line near the O2 sensor as suggested by Staintune and mentioned on several internet forums including this one, but I could not push the pipes on far enough to line up the rear attachment bolts. I hack sawed off about 8mm from each pipe using a pipe clamp to keep the cuts straight. I dressed up the ends with a half round file and they went on without a hitch. Maybe the GT1000 is slightly different from 2008 on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts