Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 750ss, and during a ride last week, noticed gas spilling out of the seam of the fuel tank and the tank cap. I thought it was the rubber gasket, but it wasn't--I took that off and its fine. I think it is the [rubber] o-ring below/ under it. (See arrow on picture)

My question is: has anyone fixed this? I have all the screws out, but the tank cap assembly won't come out, and I don't know how much force I should be giving it.

Any hints or links on the process are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just looked at a parts manual. Try to remove the center section first. Then it looks (in the diagram) as if there is a set screw of some sort that is mounted sideways along the inner perimeter of the "outer ring".

Under that ring looks to be a gasket AND an o-ring underneath.

(If you've already done that and its just the fact that the rubber material is in-the-way.....You could
try a razor and just cut it there along that top section? Although then you may have to fish for the
part that drops into the tank)

·
Registered
175 Posts
There are 3 bolts holding the cap to the cap base. Remove these first and pull the cap assembly.

Look at the inner perimeter of the cap base and you'll see 8 or so grub screws. Small allen. Remove these being careful not to drop any into the tank. Once all these are out, reach your hand inside the fuel filler hole and make a sharp pull upwards and the cap base should pop out. If not, you missed a grub screw or aren't pulling hard enough. You can pry the cap base out with a pry bar used against a wooden block on the tank top (pad the tank to wood contact).

Removal is easier than replacement when you are struggling to install the cap base straight while seating the upper (black) gasket. Something is always going to be askew until you go through the motions a few times. Mark the center of the cap base with masking tape and a sharpie mark, and line the base up straight. Plenty of vaseline on the green o-ring and a little on the upper (black) base gasket. Patience and 1 or 2 beers also help here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

I have all the screws out, but probably wasn't pulling hard enough. I have a gasket on order and will try again when it arrives.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts