Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'd really appreciate a quick response before I hand over cash to buy a US delivered 999R.

The engine number is UB55011884

I don't know how to decode this and confirm it's the original R motor.

The VIN is ZDM1UB5W35B0133xx

If there is another way to categorically know it's an R motor visually please advise.

Thanks!

Earlysport

·
Registered
40 Posts
Email Ducati, they have been really good at getting back to me..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done that - they were great with my 996R, I haven't heard back in 3 days and trying to complete the purchase. I don't want to screw the seller around either. Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yeah they look like sandcast cases. The frame has only two holes for the footpeg position, which is also a 999R only thing. "normal" 999's have five holes.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Yeah they look like sandcast cases. The frame has only two holes for the footpeg position, which is also a 999R only thing. "normal" 999's have five holes.
Plus 1... the footpeg mount was the first thing I looked for. It's a pretty solid indicator, at least with regards to the chassis.

And technically, there are seven mount positions in total, two upper and five lower if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys - the vin and title check confirm the chassis, as do all the visual cues, what they don’t do is give me an engine number to know if it’s the factory engine. Ducati Italy now won’t confirm it as I’m not the owner - they refer me to a dealer.

Visual cues for the motor (sand cast, mag valve covers) are what I’m looking for expert advice on. There’s a lot of talk about looking for a sand cast case, but not much info on how to do that, or what looks different to a die cast case.

Thanks,

Earlysport

·
Registered
809 Posts
try a google search of the vin-maybe the owner has posted on a web board info that will verify its an R.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Thanks guys - the vin and title check confirm the chassis, as do all the visual cues, what they don’t do is give me an engine number to know if it’s the factory engine. Ducati Italy now won’t confirm it as I’m not the owner - they refer me to a dealer.

Visual cues for the motor (sand cast, mag valve covers) are what I’m looking for expert advice on. There’s a lot of talk about looking for a sand cast case, but not much info on how to do that, or what looks different to a die cast case.

Thanks,

Earlysport
The magnesium bits you see there can easily be applied to a normal 999. You can just paint the standard aluminium ones if you're that way inclined. So those magnesium bits aren't proof of a 999R. If you look at a picture of a normal 999 or 749 you'll see the cases are smooth. Look at picture of the standard and sand cast cases side by side and it's very obvious. I thought there was a 999cc stamped somewhere (the normal 999's are actually 998cc) but I could be dreaming....

·
Registered
640 Posts
It's a 999R.

Engine Number Examples
UB5 3 008047 US 2003 999
UB5 4 009823 US 2004 999
UB5 5 011992 US 2005 999R See Note:

Note: Ducati used UB5 in the engine number to designate the 999, 999S and 999R engine types. They can't tell you definitively that the engine was originally built to the 999R spec unless you are able to also give them the VIN. The VIN identifies the build spec as follows:

ZDM 1UB5T — 999
ZDM 1UB5V — 999S
ZDM 1UB5W — 999R

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all,

To close this out for other readers information I also tracked down the original selling dealer in Dallas and they confirmed the engine number was as delivered. My local dealer also ended up getting information from the factory to confirm the same.

I’m now the proud owner of this 05 999R, 7700kms, and with a little work should present like a new one.

It’s a keeper for me, and joins my 996R as two examples of the most successful WSBK platforms ever, both ridden to championships by Troy Bayliss, and yet markedly different bikes.

Cheers,

Earlysport

·
Registered
542 Posts
Congrats on the take-down! Hope you got a good deal on it. What will crating, shipping, insurance and duties run you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts