Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking hard at buying a 1996 916 with 16k miles on it. It appears to be in good shape and has a verified service history. It has a "big bore" kit in it. My question is, what was the typical big bore and what was it's performance affect?

·
Registered
187 Posts
955 is most common.
+ 2mm on the bore. There are a few different kits out there, some required machining (boring) the cases, some didn't. I don't think there are any bigger kits, as the stud spacing becomes an issue.
I have a stock 916 as well as a 955, but there has been a lot of other work done to the 955, so I can't really offer any insight on the difference in feel between the two.
Nice bike though.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,820 Posts
Depends on how it has been set up. Tuning (squish, cam timing, crank lightening/balancing, head work, fuel mapping) can do more than just an extra 40cc, but together it could be quite a nice setup. Do it wrong though and you might have a grenade.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Doug Lofgren's website Ducati contains dyno charts on various Ducati with various tuning and more combinations. This should give you some idea of what you should expect from a properly tuned 916 with an over bore.

One of the things you should pay attention to is who did the over bore and what if any other tuning was done to the motor.

·
Registered
488 Posts
This could be a really good find. As the others said, it would be worth knowing who did the big bore kit and what else is in there. Having the service record is a good sign.

I'd look at the price and maybe even get it in to a mechanic you trust, and if it looks good, then get it.

I suspect that it could take more tweaking and careful maintenance to maintain it, but it would be faster than a 916. Generally, what you get in performance has a cost in reliability, in my experience.

My SP3 is reliable but it's also more twitchy on the throttle than a normal 916, so it's a bit less friendly around town, but it ran at its best so far on the track.

All depend on what you're looking for.......

Let us know!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Gotta say, this one, http://www.ducati.ms/forums/128-bikes/130301-1995-ducati-916-955-igor-gordinsky-fort-bragg-nc-photos-video.html which just came up for sale on the forum looks super nice.

I'm having an Aprilia RS250 shipped from NC to MN later this week and my guess is the shipping cost to get this 916 picked up by the same shipper and delivered to IN would be under $400.

Frankly, even though I've got a 916, this one looks nice enough and is inexpensive enough to make me think I should pick it up.

FWIW

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
You're getting an RS250? I really miss mine, take some pictures once you have it. Is it street or a cup bike?

·
Registered
279 Posts
that looks like a lot of bike for $4K. man you guys in the US are lucky for bike choice. in australia it would be closer to $13K USD...

·
Registered
888 Posts
You're getting an RS250? I really miss mine, take some pictures once you have it. Is it street or a cup bike?
Cup bike. A recent change in MN laws makes it possible to street plate the bike with the addition of lights, horn and a mirror, so I'm also putting together a street setup for it.

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
Cup bike. A recent change in MN laws makes it possible to street plate the bike with the addition of lights, horn and a mirror, so I'm also putting together a street setup for it.
That's cool. I had a street version registered in ND, they didn't care as long as they got their $5 for it.

That 916 in the classifieds for $4k looks like a bad ass deal.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This could be a really good find. As the others said, it would be worth knowing who did the big bore kit and what else is in there. Having the service record is a good sign.

I'd look at the price and maybe even get it in to a mechanic you trust, and if it looks good, then get it.

I suspect that it could take more tweaking and careful maintenance to maintain it, but it would be faster than a 916. Generally, what you get in performance has a cost in reliability, in my experience.

My SP3 is reliable but it's also more twitchy on the throttle than a normal 916, so it's a bit less friendly around town, but it ran at its best so far on the track.

All depend on what you're looking for.......

Let us know!
I'm gonna have a look at it next week and you've all given me great info. I'm not sure who did the bore at this point, but the local dealer knows the bike and says it is a good runner. I don't want the bike for a comuter ride and don't mind the quirks as long as it's reliable. I like the race bike aspect of this bike. Thanks and will keep you posted!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts