Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a long time of mulling it over, i am finally getting my sport classic. looks like ill pick up an '07 gt next weekend, and part ways with my 749. in a previous thread, many offered tips for the 3 must-have improvements to make on the gt but i later came to realize it's not necessarily the number of mods that limits what i can do but rather the cash in my pocket.

so, knowing that i speed like a bandit (90-110) on the highway and value handling very much, i need more advice on how best to mod this gt. please include your thoughts on components, and (here's the important part) how to scout these parts on the cheap. i should also mention that the back tire on this bike is shot and needs to be replaced.

having followed this forum for almost a year, my initial list is for: tmsd (hoping wasp has some left) bar-end mirrors, new front sprocket, xenon headlight, clip-on grips, new front suspension, new front brakes, and some alpina tubeless rims. well needless to say the alpinas may blow my entire budget away, but im hoping maybe i can achieve the rest.

on a side note, i also welcome advice as to what the going rate is for a 07 stock gt with 5k miles on her. the tank is on firm but i see bumps/blebs/bubbles along the sides. am hoping this warrants a replacement from DNA.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Some mods will have to be done at the same time ie. 2, 3 and 4.

1. Marchesini cast 5-spoke wheel from a ST, SS, Monster, etc. with 4-pot, 4-pad caliper(s). Even one caliper is an improvement over stock in braking and handling. ebay, any of the forums related to the above bikes are good sources. Do the wheels first so you install the tire once.

2. Deitrich's airbox lid with a hole in the airbox bottom.

3. Modified stock mufflers with shortened cores and opened ends or anything freer flowing than stock.

4. DP ECU and PC III with a custom map.

5. Showa adjustable forks from any any of the above bikes from the same sources.

You may even have some bucks left over for some bling or personalization.

Forget the Alpinas.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Damper and suspension first, the rest when you can afford it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Riding lessons.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Check with Rick (NCRick on here) at Cogent Dynamics. He has a very affordable upgrade for the front fork and can probably do the rear shocks too. I promise that if you go through him, your suspension budget will go much farther than if you choose other sources for your suspension work. And that leave more money for other stuff.

Used alloys off the Sport 1000's come available on a somewhat regular basis for reasonable prices here on the board. Watch the classifieds.

I am sure that if you put the offer out there, some Sport 1000 would love to trade upper clamps. It seems to be a less than uncommon mod.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quickest bang for buck:

1. Suspension -- unless you are around 170 in full gear.
2. 14-41 sprocket conversion. Use the torque and hp you have.
3. Termis. Increase the torque and hp you have.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Trackday! Then suspension work by Cogent. F%$^ all that blingy crap.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I'd guess from what others have said on this forum, that lighter wheels are the most important thing. I know that my GT, with modified suspension, still feels like a camel on bumpy roads, which I believe is caused by the heavy wheels behaving as they see fit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lighter wheels would make the biggest difference in performance. Alpinas aren't all that light, but much lighter than stock and they look good. I'd say adjust your expectations, it will take $1000s to match the equipment provided on many other bikes in the same price range. The thing the GT has to offer that other bikes don't have is comfortable riding position and sound.

A GT with Termi pipes is one of the best sounding Ducatis you can buy. Yes they're on the loud side, but sound terrific. The most FUN for your money? Termi's w/ ECU, WASP Powerup Kit, and 14/41 sprockets. Anything left over I'd add the WASP damper. Or go for broke and get magnesium or carbon wheels. :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
pipes pipes pipes.

before anything else, you need to make your GT sound like a ducati.

you can get a set of termis AND the WASP steering damper for less than $2k total, and you're in good shape.

wheels, breaks, forks, and other goodies can come later.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lighter wheels would make the biggest difference in performance. Alpinas aren't all that light, but much lighter than stock and they look good.
really? i thought between the different material and going tubless the alpinas represent a great weight savings. either way i really like the spoked look and just cant imagine mag wheels on the gt. figured the alpinas were my best option from there.

as for the music, well, i thought id tinker with the stock baffles first ($$ only costs free ninety-nine) before opening the wallet for the termis.

finally, i kinda go back and forth on the comfortable position. i love the look of the gt over the sc, but sometime wonder if i would be better off just switching the tanks out on the two (if thats even possible). i prefer clip-ons and more aggressive peg positions which im told the sc has stock, and in the case of the pegs, might not even be adjustable on the gt.

ultimately this is my quandary and rationale for seeking advice from strangers. ;-) this bike simply need to do more for it to be a good fit for me, but fortunately it seems as though everyone here has already trailblazed the path toward performance that i seek.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
finally, i kinda go back and forth on the comfortable position. i love the look of the gt over the sc, but sometime wonder if i would be better off just switching the tanks out on the two (if thats even possible). i prefer clip-ons and more aggressive peg positions which im told the sc has stock, and in the case of the pegs, might not even be adjustable on the gt.
If i look at your wishes, i would recommend buying a SC biposto…:think:

Better wheels, the tank you want… a seat that fits to the tank… better shocks and so on…

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
aw, sorry to confuse. it's the gt tank and look that i like. but its the sc wheels and rear sets i like as well. sigh...

is it possible to plop all of the gt fixings onto a sc?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
buy a sport 1000 biposto (btw they are all "SC" since that's the name of the line, GT included) and find someone with a GT who will be willing to trade you tank and seat (you need both to make it fit...) I'm sure you'll find someone, I would say usually people are more partial to the shape of the sport over the GT, so that puts you in a good position..

cheers!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts