Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was hoping you guys can help me on sizing for Suomy helmets. I was told they run 1 size smaller compared to US heads. I wear an XL Arai and XL Gmax. The helmet I want to buy to match my 80's perforated jacket is this helmet. The helmet is a size XXL. The seller also claims this brand runs small and an XL wearer should get an XXL for proper fitment. He does not offer returns or exchange. There are no bike shops in town that have Suomys laying around to try on. The helmet is 1/2 off dealer price and is brand new. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
My Suomy Vandal runs true size. I wear an HJC, Arai XL and the Vandal is also an XL and fit perfectly right from the box. My other Suomy is a Spec1R and is also an XL but DOES RUN SMALL. I think it would feel better as an XXL but, like you, I got a smokin' deal on a design I REALLY wanted and it's worked out well, even on a 700 mile day. Yours pictured looks to be styled like my Spec1R so I'd suspect if you need a "XL" then get an "XXL". My 2 cents, hope that helps.
Bottom line, if I were you, I'd get that one. Bet it will work great. It's also a good enough deal to turn around and sell again if you had to.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Suomy Vandal runs true size. I wear an HJC, Arai XL and the Vandal is also an XL and fit perfectly right from the box. My other Suomy is a Spec1R and is also an XL but DOES RUN SMALL. I think it would feel better as an XXL but, like you, I got a smokin' deal on a design I REALLY wanted and it's worked out well, even on a 700 mile day. Yours pictured looks to be styled like my Spec1R so I'd suspect if you need a "XL" then get an "XXL". My 2 cents, hope that helps.
Bottom line, if I were you, I'd get that one. Bet it will work great. It's also a good enough deal to turn around and sell again if you had to.

Well they say it's better to have it more snug then the other way around. The foam eventually "breaks in" if a helmet is initially small right? However; that is probably the best advice I'll get on this so I'll run with it! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wear a Medium Arai Corsair and a Large Suomy Extreme. The Large Suomy actually feels tighter on my head than the Arai.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My Spec 1R is a XL and the Arai and Shark helmets that I have tried on seem to be XL as well. I know you don't have a shop around that sells Suomy but the only real way to figure it out is to wear it. The deal sounds a little sketchy. I would rather go with a smaller helmet and change out the padding then the reverse.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Spec 1R is a XL and the Arai and Shark helmets that I have tried on seem to be XL as well. I know you don't have a shop around that sells Suomy but the only real way to figure it out is to wear it. The deal sounds a little sketchy. I would rather go with a smaller helmet and change out the padding then the reverse.
Well, it's a store selling closeouts so exchanges are either not allowed or 25% restocking fees. A buddy told me the XL and XXLs use the same shell just different padding. What to do what to do?:D

I guess fitment is subjective. We all have different shape heads and helmets will always fit differently. I just happen to have a large head compared to my skinny 5' 10" frame. I may pass now since I don't want the hassle of trying to return stuff.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
My personal opinion: Never buy a helmet you haven't tried on (or tried on an equivalent), unless you're willing to put it back up for sale if it doesn't fit you correctly.

But maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I wore an XL HJC, now I have an XXL suomy.
When I was shopping for a Suomy, I also noticed that the different models fit differently.
I would not buy a helmet without trying it on first.
Depending on the shape of your head, you may need a smaller or bigger one from Suomy(or other brands, too).

·
Registered
938 Posts
True to Size in My Experience

I've had a couple of Extremes and in my experience they run true to size in mediums at least. They've matched what medium hat sizes in the Arais, and Shoei's I've had and have matched medium AGVs, and Scorpions I've had too.

Personally I'd never buy a helmet without trying the same model on for sizing. I've bought a few helmets in the past few years and have tried on a boat load of different helmets from different makers and have been surprised at the differences in fit. After trying on all the AGV, Shoe, KBC, Icon, Scorpion and Arai models in my size without regard to price, the Suomy Extreme was clearly the best fit for me. I've got other friends who have Shoei and Arai heads after similar trials. Good fit, depends on much more than size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Medium Suomy Vandal.
I wear a medium in all the other helmets I have tried on too.
When I recieved my Vandal it was tight in the cheek area. I simply removed the cheek pads, and removed a layer of pading. It was two layers of foam adhered together and easy to peel away a layer of foam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts