Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding my new-to-me pristine '96 SP back from Sacramento to Tacoma.
Bike is awesome! Then the crappy CycleGear battery went bad (at least I think it was the batt). I don't know if I've got a charging problem or not. I replaced the battery but don't think it was fully charged so still had to jump it to get the bike going. Only batt I could find was at Napa auto parts. They were getting ready to close so the guy was nice enough to offer to take it home and trickle charge it overnight. While following him on the freeway i lost fire to my vert. cyl - WTF!!! If i was home I could get this handled but I'm still 400 miles away.
Any ideas on the charging problem? Anything to look for on the missfire? Think they could be related? was on the freeway cruising at 80 when it started to miss.

HELP!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like you are not charging. How long did you drive with the vert cyl not firing?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you are not charging. How long did you drive with the vert cyl not firing?
I stopped at a Cyclegear in redding ca yesterday and they checked the batt and said it was OK but had a Napa Auto store check it today when the bike totally refused to start and they said it had a bad cell. the batt i bought wasn't fully charged and i was running down the freeway hoping it would charge when the vert cyl stopped firing. now I'll be trying to start a bike thats missing on one cyl with an unknown battery.

crap.

i only rode about a mile after the miss started. i know for sure that's it's nothing mechanical but i don't know diddly about the ignition system. how do these things fire, anyway?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
For what it's worth, if you haven't already done so, check the main earth on the engine is clean and tight. That sucker is the cause of a lot of electrical issues.
It's the circled item in the picture. Best of luck getting it sorted! :)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If you can get it running and find a multimeter, it should be charging at 14+ volts at 3,000 rpms. Otherwise it might be a bad coil, wires or spark plug in the vertical cyl., a bad battery, poor connections (ground, as cs363 said), or a bad voltage regulator (they are known to sometimes crap out). Unfortunately it could be one of several possibilities.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Change the plug first, just in case.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When you pull the spark plugs, hold the tip against the engine case and turn the motor over. You want a white/blue spark. If one isn't firing might be a bad coil or an ECU (I've forgotten the name of the Kokusan units).

Nate-95 CR

·
Registered
174 Posts
He also needs to see what is happening with a fully charged battery. If he can find a multi-meter, then we could eliminate or point to charging issues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
He also needs to see what is happening with a fully charged battery. If he can find a multi-meter, then we could eliminate or point to charging issues.
Very true. A flat battery will cause weird stuff like this to happen. Like someone said, you want to see ~13.5-14V on the multi-meter around 3K on the tach.

Also you might try; if the battery is charged unplug the headlight to see if you can get home on just the battery running the CDI's (I remembered the name now).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, guys!
well, an overnight trickle charge didn't do it so the Napa guy called the battery guy who said it needs 6 hrs of normal charge so Napa has it on their charger. The bike starts fine when jumped so so I'm sure that's the problem.
The miss is a bad ignition igniter. I swapped them and that causes no spark to the other cylinder. Easy-peasy troubleshooting but getting one is tough especially with the holiday tomorrow. My buddy is going to grab both igniters out of his '95 SS and bring them down. 400 miles. I'm gonna owe a lot of favors!

·
Registered
268 Posts
napa guy should have a multimeter handy so you can check the status of your charging system. if you take off with a decent battery and a failing charging system you will not make it far.

i just went through this the second time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been running with the hearlight fuse out so it shouldn't be a prob (fingers crossed).
turns out seattle Ducati had 2 DP igniters in stock and let me have them at a discount. My buddy had to come right past them so it turned out OK. Man, those little suckers are expensive!!
he wont get here til at least 8pm so hope to get on the road in early AM

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, made it home in time to get to a 4th of July BBQ.
Had to push start it the whole way (400 miles) because of that Napa battery.
Put in the battery from my buddy's 95 SS and it started right up, no problem.
NAPA used to sell quality stuff. Now it's just cheap chinese crap.
I still think the bad igniter was more than a coincidence but I'll never know for sure.

I'll check the charging circuit tomorrow after I get a quality battery installed. I suspect it's OK since I never got a warning light and I could see the tailight get brighter when I revved the engine with the bad battery installed. We'll see.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts