Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about replace my rear spring with a softer one.

My bike is a 1198S, so ohlins suspension. The sag in the front is 30mm and I still have place to play with the suspension, but the rear is set on minimum spring compression and still only about 18-20mm sag.

The bike doesn't handle bad, but I would like to be able to set the rear suspension in the same way like the front, so 30mm sag is my target.

Does anyone of you guys know with what spring I should replace my 01091-24/80 L249 to make the suspension a little soft, or can drive me in the right direction?
I have just about 160-170 lbs with gear.

Thanks ... ride safe!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
once you've identified which spring you're after, try to post for a trade in the classified section: that's how I got my current spring.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there's no 160 lb guy here that has change his rear spring to suit his weight? :confused:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thinking about replace my rear spring with a softer one.

My bike is a 1198S, so ohlins suspension. The sag in the front is 30mm and I still have place to play with the suspension, but the rear is set on minimum spring compression and still only about 18-20mm sag.

The bike doesn't handle bad, but I would like to be able to set the rear suspension in the same way like the front, so 30mm sag is my target.

Does anyone of you guys know with what spring I should replace my 01091-24/80 L249 to make the suspension a little soft, or can drive me in the right direction?
I have just about 160-170 lbs with gear.

Thanks ... ride safe!
You have a 80kg spring now and your weight is 170lbs, which is almost 80kg, so you're good! Why would you want the same sag so badly as you have in the front? I'm using different sag rates too. You should have your shock and fork work synchronic in damping and rebound. There are some nice videos in youtube called two clicks out. Check one of the videos below.

If you still prefer a softer spring, I would buy a 75kg one. A lighter one would need a modification to your shock.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the video link Dennie.
I just want the rear to be just a little soft. It is not bad right now, but i feel that is just a little to hard, with the preload ring on minimum.
If I could find a spring just a little softer than mine, I could make the rear like I want to be, and have some play room with the preload for more tune.
Did not find any chart or something like on ohlins site so I know exactly what spring to look.
Thanks for reply Dennie

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was very helpful. Thanks bpracer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
things look good i guess

Alright guys
Thanks for the starting info.
Now, if it is another skinny dude out there that don't weight more than 160lb, and is wonder, yes, the shock spring is way to stiff for your weight.

I have change my shock spring from the stas 80 to a 75 rate. (Ohlins 01091-21/75 L149)
With this 75 spring and the preload rings all the way out ( I had to grind some material from the shock to be able to do that ) I have manage a 30mm sag on the back suspension. That's fortunately exactly what I was aim for, so that's good, even if the shock is just on the edge of adjustment with preload. Again .... my weight is around 160lb with gear.

For the beginning I have bring the compression and rebound on factory settings (fully close than 10 clicks out) and from there I had to just fine tune the rebound 1 click in and the compression two clicks in for a good feel and a front - back balance in a static environment. I will have to take a ride now on the twisties to see if in a dynamic environment the settings are working like it should, or if it need more tuning.

Now, on the front fork, with the preload closed on maximum and factory compression settings, on hard braking I am bottoming the front fork out. I don't feel it, the bike handle well, but the zip tie on my cylinder is really on the bottom. On the next ride I'm gonna add one or two clicks to the fork compression, and I hope the hydraulics will keep me from bottoming the front.
How on earth would this stock springs would work with a 200+ lb rider on stock settings? Maybe I am missing something, but I don't get it.
On stock, for me the fork is almost to soft, and the shock is way to hard. After I have changed the shock spring, the front is almost to soft and the back is almost to hard :D but that will work :p

In a static environment the bike looks really well balanced, I will make time for a good ride and post the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts