Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was riding to bike night last night I noticed that my shift lever "dropped", as in lost all tension. To shift I had to flick the lever up and then down quickly to get it into gear. The linkage is all there, and tight. A friend of mine told me that it feels like a tension spring/spline/holder on the other side of the case either broke or fell off. Does this make sense to anyone? Has anyone had this happen before? Easy fix? Something I could do myself?

·
Registered
869 Posts
This isn't an actual multistrada, it's a 916, but it will look similar inside

if you look just above where the arrow is pointing, there's a small spring that puts tension on the two arms, my guess is that has come off or broken.

To get to it is about a 7 out of 10 degree of difficulty. You will need to remove the flywheel to get access.

The nut, being pointed at, adjusts the actual throw, for the gear change up and down.

This old web page details the steps I went through to replace the start sprag on my friends 916. You would need to do most of the same stuff. I did this with the engine in the frame.

Starter Sprag Replacement

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Shifter return spring broke. You'll need to pop the stator cover off to get at it. Do not run the bike until you fix this as there are probably broken pieces of the spring in with your oil.

I had this happen on my Monster 1100 EVO.

It's not a difficult job to do but you will need a tool to hold the flywheel when you reinstall it because it is impossible to keep the engine from turning when tightening the flywheel nut (unless you do it half-assed and just use and impact wrench).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man what a bummer. I rode it home last night in 2nd gear, hope I didn't muff anything up. Looks like I won't be running it until I get it to the dealer. Thanks so much for the replies and description of the issue you guys, very much appreciated. I just hope I can get it done in time for the ECM!

·
Registered
66 Posts
One (of the two) shifter springs on my 2013 broke last September ... Same symptoms. Apparently a more common Duc thing than I'd thought. Fortunately for me - no unfounded bits; hopefully you are as fortunate.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
One (of the two) shifter springs on my 2013 broke last September ... Same symptoms. Apparently a more common Duc thing than I'd thought. Fortunately for me - no unfounded bits; hopefully you are as fortunate.
The piece that broke off my spring was sitting at the bottom of the case and it fell out as soon as I popped the stator cover. I've heard of other people who have had a piece of spring get into the crankcase and do a lot of damage in there though so I wouldn't chance running it.

Mine broke about a 1/4 mile from my house so I just limped home in 2nd gear and parked it.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It's the shifter return spring. Common problem and pretty serious if you get stranded somewhere. Mine just let go at 21K miles. I would advise against doing this job at home unless you have the special tools required to do it right. Plus, you have to drain the oil and coolant. I brought mine to a local indy after I researched just what was required and decided it would take too long.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Loading it up on the trailer tomorrow to take it to dealer. Fingers crossed that I don't get raped for the work. "Just give us your wallet, we'll give you back what we think you should have."

·
Registered
282 Posts
Loading it up on the trailer tomorrow to take it to dealer. Fingers crossed that I don't get raped for the work. "Just give us your wallet, we'll give you back what we think you should have."
Is it under warranty? I'd make the dealer come and pick it up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No longer under warranty on it, so fingers crossed it doesn't cost me too much.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Something to be wary of ...

There are 3 hoses that exit from the shifter side of the bike - 2 from the gas tank for venting and 1 from the Evap Canister. However, all 3 are interconnected, and the one from the Evap Canister also connects to the cylinders. I'm not sure just how that system works in detail, but in rough terms, it causes a vacuum.

After I had my shifter spring fixed, I "ran out of gas" twice with enough miles left to go. (Of course, my gas gauge doesn't work.) Once I realized that I couldn't have been riding that fast to burn that much fuel, I pulled off the lower fairing and found that the tech who worked on my bike didn't route the hoses correctly. They require a specific placement. So rather than ask, he just crushed one of them in there and completely closed the Evap Canister hose off.

WTH. I'd be more upset except that this is the normal state for workmanship these days. Pathetic.

After I re-routed them, I stopped "running out of gas".

Always, always, always check the work done for you these days.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
+100. Having fork seals replaced at the dealer as I type. First thing I'll be doing after I check everything over is loosening and re-torquing all of the bolts on the forks, axle, and calipers to be sure it's done exactly right.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
No longer under warranty on it, so fingers crossed it doesn't cost me too much.
It should only be a couple hours of labor at most. The spring itself is a $7 part plus a tube of DucatiBond gasket material, which I think they charge a ridiculous amount of money for ($35 for a 50g tube). You can buy a 3oz tube of Three Bond 1184/1194 gasket material for $15 (basically the same stuff).

There are two springs so I would just replace them both.

If they quote you more than $200-250 I'd question it.

The part to hold the flywheel is $180. It is really easy to DIY if you have the tool.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's always good advice, for sure. I neutered the bike when I got it (evap can removal), as I do all of my Ducs. Hopefully that becomes obvious when they get to that part! I will mention it to them though, can't hurt to make sure I'm aware of the procedure.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
That's always good advice, for sure. I neutered the bike when I got it (evap can removal), as I do all of my Ducs. Hopefully that becomes obvious when they get to that part! I will mention it to them though, can't hurt to make sure I'm aware of the procedure.
So did I. Installed a by-pass kit, but it leaves that 3rd hose. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had exact same problem with my 13 multi at 16k miles. Mine was stuck in 5th gear which made it an interesting ride home. The return spring was 4.99. I had them replace both springs and 4 other minor parts while it was apart. My broken spring was laying at bottom of alternator cover. Parts bill was 52 dollars. Labor was 5.5 hrs. total bill was 602. It shifted great when I got it back.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It should only be a couple hours of labor at most. The spring itself is a $7 part plus a tube of DucatiBond gasket material, which I think they charge a ridiculous amount of money for ($35 for a 50g tube). You can buy a 3oz tube of Three Bond 1184/1194 gasket material for $15 (basically the same stuff).

There are two springs so I would just replace them both.

If they quote you more than $200-250 I'd question it.

The part to hold the flywheel is $180. It is really easy to DIY if you have the tool.
I used this tool less than $15.00 worked great when I changed the Flywheel
on my bike. Some people jam the gears with a penny.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dropped it off at dealer this morning and he seems to think that it's not the spring, but the plate that rotated (on the other side of the cover). Apparently there was a known issue in regards to that (that's what he told me at least, but he really knows his shit). It's going to take them a few weeks, so fingers crossed. At least now I get to FSU on my Monster 1100 EVO for a bit. But damn if that Multi doesn't spoil me, what with the heated grips and all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts