Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... something odd happened to me tonight. After an afternoon of taking the bike on some favorite backroads with friends we all pulled over to a parking lot to chat. When I went to start my bike again I flicked the key and the dash lit up and went through it's usual start cycle... then as soon as I hit the start button all of the electronics shut off at once. After that the dash wouldn't light up when I turned the key or anything...

Anyways we bump start the bike and I'm able to ride it home. I notice as I'm riding that all of the electronic settings have been reset (DTC and DQS are both off). Once I get the bike home I turn it off, flick the key on and the dash lights up as usual and I proceed to turn DTC and DQS settings back on. Then when I go to push the start button the same thing happens... all the electronics shut off at once and wont turn on when I turn the key or anything. Clearly there's an electronics issue where it's short circuiting anytime I push the start button.... anyone ever had something like this happen to them? Any ideas? Advice?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but once you do try to start it, do you hear the crank turn?

If it doesn’t attempt to turn it could simply be the battery that’s flat?

I had something similar happen to me, it ended up actually not being the battery as I thought since the problem existed after changing it.

My dealer said it was the stator that was fried (minimum 700-800 dollar job) but I wanted to be sure so I got a voltmeter and checked the output from the stator and no issue but my battery still wasn’t charging. After some research and good friend tip, it was the voltage regulator which is under the rear seat but the underbelly above the rear tire. Apparently it’s so stuffed in there and not the most solid Voltage Regulator Ducati used so it’s prone to overheat and fry. It’s an easy job to change which I did with a new Voltage Regulator.

You can find out how to check all this easy by using YouTube or even google how to measure the stator output to determine if it’s either the stator or the VR.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Having all your settings reset like that usually indicates a total loss of power, so I'd be starting from the battery, checking battery terminals are tight (undo them and do them up again, don't just check that they're tight), then start following wires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having all your settings reset like that usually indicates a total loss of power, so I'd be starting from the battery, checking battery terminals are tight (undo them and do them up again, don't just check that they're tight), then start following wires.

That's today's plan. I noticed the times that the dash has turned on before the start button causes a total loss of power... It shows the code 25111 r.14, not sure what that means and can't find any info about it online. I'm going to be checking the battery terminals and wires

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's today's plan. I noticed the times that the dash has turned on before the start button causes a total loss of power... It shows the code 25111 r.14, not sure what that means and can't find any info about it online. I'm going to be checking the battery terminals and wires
How'd you go...? I hope you had a win.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Following with interest!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts