Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been lurking for a while and first time duc owner (aside from my dads 999 lol)

I recently bought a titanium 748s all stock aside from Termi slip on, which was advertised as showroom perfect bike with 7643 miles for $8k. I thought it to be a little high but I am just mesmerized by the livery so I went for it given that they are hard to come by.

Fast forward 3 weeks and bike arrives.. not perfect with a scrape on the side of the tail section as well as a small dent on the right hand side of the tank. Long story short, dealer is offering to accept a return because it is an "easy" sale and do not want to help cover the damages.

I do not want to give up the bike but do feel that I am being taken advantage of (albeit allowing myself to be put into this position by purchasing without inspecting in person). In addition to the dealer being a pain through out the whole process, from lacking transparency with shipping to failing to send the included parts with the bike and incorrect title documentation.

I have found a couple of 996s's that look to be in great condition, one being from pro italia and the other with all service records.

So my question to you all is, should I return the bike and go for a 996s or live with my mistakes and fix the 748s myself?

I know this is subjective, but all opinions welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
I would return it on principal alone... but don't jump at the first bike that pops up on your radar. If you want a 916 Series bike in the Titanium (aka Senna) livery, then hold out for one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For $8k, it would have to be truly immaculate. I purchased a pristine example of this bike ~2 years ago for $6.5k, and I thought that was high (but worth it for what I think is the best looking factory paint job on this series). I’d keep it if they can come down on price, but for that amount, I’d pass.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,820 Posts
The dealer may be able to find a sucker to pay that price, but it shouldn't be you. Though it is a terrific paint scheme, I would never pay $8k even for a pristine grey 748. That's TWICE what a clean yellow or red one will go for and $4k buys a lot of paintwork. You can get a super nice 996 or 998 for substantially less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

If it matters any, they did include:

-Left+Right lower fairings (Factory brand new)
-Left+Right Mirrors (Factory brand new)
-V fairing (Factory brand new)
-Stock pipes
-Stock license plate holder
-New air filter

Going to partake in, what I believe to be, a game of chicken with the dealer and request cash or call his bluff.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I own one of these, I've had mine for a couple years, the value seems to be MORE OR LESS $7000 bucks. Yours is low miles, I think mine had 7K...Arrow slip ons , ohlins rear, otherwise all stock and it is in great condition, no scratches or anything messed up and I paid 6900$.

It fucking BLOWS that this happened to you with THIS particular bike as if you got the problem. your totally F'd...there is no other better Tamburini Superbike...power be damned. But the honest truth is, they should give you all your money back. OR offer to repair it to as shown condition for free. I'd take either, because I got the problem. But you should probably just try to get your money back.

Or suck it up and enjoy the bike, you can get the tank repaired. If you have a job you've already made more money since you got the bike.

I've owned mine for 2 years, and it's cost me a TOTAL of about 8000 at least. It needed new tires, chain, so I did sprockets as well, front axle got messed up so replaced that as well. So if the bike is GREAT other than the cosmetic issues....there IS that to consider. Sometimes you just gotta live and learn, get a better inspection next time.

And what dealer is this? Future buyers will want to know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had problems with no inspection buying. Bike shop across the country sent Video of bike starting and running and many phone calls, emails Bike sent arrived in a furniture shipping truck, Bike wouldn't start? Only offer was to take it back. Decided to keep it, turned out to be a great bike after a little work. Understand your frustration. Good luck with it either way.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quick to swap with what?

Factory new or immaculate used titanium 748s fairings are either non existent or $$$$. A good paint job is also $$$.
there are plenty of people out there selling fairings, they are not that hard to find. but $8k for a 748 is just way to much, I have had plenty of very nice 748s come through my shop and I am happy when I can get $3k for one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
there are plenty of people out there selling fairings, they are not that hard to find. but $8k for a 748 is just way to much, I have had plenty of very nice 748s come through my shop and I am happy when I can get $3k for one.
I agree that $8k is too much, but I search somewhat regularly for spare pieces for my titanium 748, and would by no means say that there are plenty of excellent condition sets/pieces for sale. Plenty of other color fairings around, but again, respraying is expensive.

·
Registered
425 Posts
but $8k for a 748 is just way to much
Here is the data I used to see if mine was priced ok. I got all these prices from Ducati.ms and Ducati.org as well as Ebay. You can get a general vibe for what an 01 - 02 748s Mono is worth. It's just 10 bikes, but for 748s Mono....seems like 6K. Add in rare livery...I think it's 200 or so total for the USA, then the Ti 748s are pretty rare. Rare in a "nobody cares" sense....for most. Where it says "Sold n/a" I assume it sold for the price asked, they don't usually say what it sold for on forums.

So I don't know, yeah it's a "748s" it's also the best non "Red" looking Tamburini Superbike ever made. Is that worth 1 or 2K...I don't know, it was for me. Were not talking transport machines here, we're talking things we only have because we WANT!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I own one of these, I've had mine for a couple years, the value seems to be MORE OR LESS $7000 bucks. Yours is low miles, I think mine had 7K...Arrow slip ons , ohlins rear, otherwise all stock and it is in great condition, no scratches or anything messed up and I paid 6900$.

It fucking BLOWS that this happened to you with THIS particular bike as if you got the problem. your totally F'd...there is no other better Tamburini Superbike...power be damned. But the honest truth is, they should give you all your money back. OR offer to repair it to as shown condition for free. I'd take either, because I got the problem. But you should probably just try to get your money back.

Or suck it up and enjoy the bike, you can get the tank repaired. If you have a job you've already made more money since you got the bike.

I've owned mine for 2 years, and it's cost me a TOTAL of about 8000 at least. It needed new tires, chain, so I did sprockets as well, front axle got messed up so replaced that as well. So if the bike is GREAT other than the cosmetic issues....there IS that to consider. Sometimes you just gotta live and learn, get a better inspection next time.

And what dealer is this? Future buyers will want to know.

Dealer was Rosso Corsa in Laguna Hills. Assumed to be a reputable dealer from fact that majority of their inventory consists of exotic cars/bikes.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have sold plenty of bikes on eBay, when they do a best offer it does not show the actual price sold when you search recently sold bikes. and you also get a lot of fake buyers, people who win and never pay, even people that will click buy it now and never pay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts