Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky to met Mr.Paul Smart and have my tank signed with a permanent pen.

I have to protect the signature, but i'm frightened because the varnish could dissolve the sign and make a mess.
An alternative is to photograph the signature and make a vinil copy of it, but it's not the same...

advises welcome!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

I have to protect the signature, but i'm frightened because the varnish could dissolve the sign and make a mess.
An alternative is to photograph the signature and make a vinil copy of it, but it's not the same...

advises welcome!

Ask someone from a local car paint shop… they should have some advice

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was thinking to suggest the clear film as well, on the other hand..... it really is a rare "accessory" to get the Man's signature on your tank. Why not dig deep for the extra cost, go to a quality paint shop and get a layer of clear coat sprayed over the tank.
Sometimes the most expensive and quality path is the only one....
If I had his signature on my tank, that would certainly be my choice. Of course, then it is permanent so perhaps you might want to think of adding a Paul Smart graphic (sticker) on the tank as well...
ultimate trick bling. :):D

·
Premium Member
989 Posts

advises welcome!
Buy a spare tank?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
My friend had his cowl signed by paul smart as well, he sent it to a bike painter who clear coated it. Best way to go I think. If you use for instance the 3m film, it's best applied wet with a little soap and alcohol mixed in the water. This would probably ruin the sig.

Chris

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I did the 3M protectant over a Carol Shelby signature on a CSX cobra I had-even though it wasn't supposed to yellow, and I kept it covered in my shop, it eventually did discolor enough to look dodgy. I would definitely second the idea of clear coating it, or buy a replacement tank and have it in my office to stare at during the work week!:D

·
Registered
665 Posts
NO ONE signs my moto, no matter who the hell they are.

Autographs to me, are pointless, altough the tankslapper would probably be the most affordable application to use, to preserve someones writing on your tank.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Alf,

Well...some good options have been offered here, but here are a few considerations I'd contribute...

Spraying a clear coat over the signature would be the best fix, IMO, but there are problems with this.

Was / is the tank waxed? Even if not, properly painting a shiny surface requires prepping the paint by sanding and using a wax and grease remover (prep solvent) first. Of course you can't sand over the signature, so the next best thing is to sand up close to it. The next worry is that the prep solvent isn't strong enough to remove the Sharpie ink. I'd mark something with a Sharpie and test this first.

Next you'd need to worry about the clear coat lifting the signature- again, something you can test for first.

Anytime a decal is cleared over, such as the Ducati lettering on your stock tank, adhesion on that smooth surface (in this case the smooth vinyl logo) is less than ideal, and is subject to the clear peeling. The smaller the area, the less likely. For this reason, ideally you would have sanded that area of the tank with 400 grit paper before Mr. Smart signed it...:) Yeah, like that was gonna happen...

Clear vinyl was mentioned above, and it could be cut to be slightly larger than the signature. However, as was also mentioned, it will over time yellow a bit, even the best 3M clear vinyl will do this.

So, we're back to painting over it. If you're super careful, I think this is what I'd do...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi
I had Cook Nielsen sign the tail of my Sport 1000S at a party he came to,
when I got back home had my local paint shop clearcoat it and the Rossi sig on the AGV helmet.
Clean and polished ton of times and always maintained it's integrity.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody for the recomendations, think all the opinions are usefull, even 'dont' touch my tank'...

The protector films look practical but in a medium term I'm afraid I'll look not as good.(and I want my GT for a very long term...)

Progress in 2 options:
- clear coating: I gave the painter the same pen that was used to sign so he could make a test about the ink, he said ok, 80€.
- vinil sticker: with the help of some friends, make a photo, vectorize (correct¿?) and give it to a machine that can make a vinil sticker exactly with the same shape(you say a plotter cutter?). cost: materials

I think I'll try to do both. I like the coating since it's more 'real', but will try to make also some stickers in different sizes and colours.

thanks again for the help, as allways. I'll confirm results. (meanwhile I have an ugly patch protecting it)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd be concerned that even if clear-coated or covered with clear film, it will still yellow and fade a lot in the sun.

Depending on how much value the signature adds to the bike, I'd look into a replacement tank so that you can keep the autographed one at home.

Otherwise, have a local paint shop spray the whole tank with clear.

Lucky you, anyway!

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
NO ONE signs my moto, no matter who the hell they are.
I guess I would line up with livedd0 on this one. Nobody signs my bike. However, I would let him sign a picture of my bike. :rolleyes:

I would think that clear coat would work for you. Good luck!

It must have been a heck of a lot of fun to meet Paul Smart. I would consider myself quite lucky to be able to talk to him.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I would line up with livedd0 on this one. Nobody signs my bike. However, I would let him sign a picture of my bike. :rolleyes:

I would think that clear coat would work for you. Good luck!

It must have been a heck of a lot of fun to meet Paul Smart. I would consider myself quite lucky to be able to talk to him.
It's first time in my life I asked for an autograph.
Don't like this kind of things and didn't think of it before the meeting.... but he was so friendly, the SC where inspired around him...I get a smile everytime I look at the tank now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts