Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help guys... I thought that I read some where that some of you pay like 350-400 a yr?

well my quotes are 1,562$ for full coverage on everything

or

852 state

or 485 for the one that dosen't cover my bike if its my fault.(this is all from gieco)

I though it would be a little cheaper.... Idk... By the way my record is perfect, no tickets, no nothing at all, and i told them i have been riding for 10 yrs...... ALSO they said the bike is covered nada, which is 6500... is it better to just cover the bike for like 12,000 from another co?

this is on a 1998 ducati 916 w. 5-6 thousand in upgrades

·
Registered
123 Posts
Seems a little high. I have 1998 748 in the Chicago area & I pay $350/year for full coverage. I told them the value of my bike was $8000. Mine is through State Farm where I also have homeowners ins, wife's car & ring. Shop around you should be able to find a better price.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Every zip code is different. Just because someone says "I pay $300 through GEICO" doesn't mean anything if they live in California and you live in NY. The insurance regulations could be totally different. Best thing to do is ask a few different insurance companies. If they all are about the same then there's not much you can do.

I pay around $900 a year and that's full coverage with very good liabilities. And that's an accident on there as well. When that comes off (1 1/2 years) it'll drop a good amount). My insurance (GEICO) was only $400 with the minimum liabilities before my accident.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dam, and my zip code is a really good area! idk... this seems weird... any ny people on here... it must be the "ducati" name... my friends are all paying much cheaper on there jap bikes

G

·
Im in nj, gieco wont go near here...progressive wont either... your stuck with local insurance companies...ie rider insurance...1500 full coverage my record is scotcch free...its a bitch lol haha...but hey we have a rebel full coverage 400 a year! hahaha i love how you guys have 998 full coverage fr that price..jealousy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ducati955 said:
it must be the "ducati" name...
my 01 Monster 900 is cheaper with full coverage than my 82 Kawasaki 550 with liability only!....but for both covered for the year I am paying something like $550-ish...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ducati955 said:
I need some help guys... I thought that I read some where that some of you pay like 350-400 a yr?

You have to shop around. I pay about $800 for all my bikes through Nationwide. Don't get discouraged by high rate quotes. There are companies out there, you just have to find them.

Also, ways to trim the bill, sometimes by hundreds:

-- Have a $500 deductible rather than $250.

-- Have you checked with your car carrier? Sometimes they have to insure a bike if you are insured for a car [that is my deal with Nationwide, they do not write in California any longer, but since I have car insurance with them, they have to insure the bikes, and at fair rates.

-- If your car carrier has coverage, and for other carriers, make sure all the discounts are given, where applicable. Sometimes they forget to deduct them [e.g., long term driver, long term with company, MSF course, no accidents, safe driver, age, type of bike, size of bike, recreational use mileage only].

-- Make sure that the person you talk to about rates knows what they are doing. Many times the person quoting is a newbie and does not know how to quote. E.g., when I added a bike, the Nationwide person said my new rate would be $800 every six months. I balked and she said that there were new rates, which went up, etc. She certainly sounded like she knew what she was talking about.

I then called back, got a supervisor and complained. She said the rate was $800 a year, not six months. Apparently, the newbie assumed the $800 was every 6 months because that is how Nationwide insures cars, 6 month policies.

But on bikes, they are insured on a yearly basis, not 6 months. So the newbie had it wrong and had caused me to check around for other carriers. Had I not called back, I would have been paying thousands more for insurance based on the incompetence of the newbie rep.

-- Don't be taken in by big names in the business, e.g., some carriers, IMHO, are ripping people off with their rates. They know that many riders assume that since they are big companies, that the rates must be legit and the lowest. A scam if I ever saw one.

For example, when I thought I would be leaving Nationwide I shopped around. Now mind you I am the most insurable type out there. No accidents, no tickets, walks to work, been with Nationwide since day one, 24 years, blah, blah.

On just the R1 [not all the bikes] here is what I got:

Geico - $1600

Progressive - $3400

And Geico said they would be the lowest.

So look around. There are a lot of insurance companies out there. Someone has to have a rate you can live with.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it all depends on your area, your record, your age, your bikes (if you have multiple on there), your agent, and your insurance company, you....I think you get the point...

we pay less than a grand for full coverage on each of ours...but they are covered under his dads policy (retired, lives in a SMALL town in a SMALL county, and he's got a Road Star on there too)....

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
insurance

I pay $1K for three Ducs in SoCal, with Foremost.

My record is squeaky clean...ad nauseum.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Insurance in NJ (probably NY, too) is high for sportbikes. They surcharge them, expect to pay 2-4 times the amount you'd pay for the same cc's in a cruiser or standard. Sportbikes are wrecked more often than non-sportbikes. The only company in NJ that still charges around $430 per year for full coverage is State Farm. Unless they've changed their policy recently, you have to insure your car with them to get motorcycle insurance. All other companies want in the $1400 range per year for a sportbike (750cc and up).
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
DucatiGal said:
Insurance in NJ (probably NY, too) is high for sportbikes. They surcharge them, expect to pay 2-4 times the amount you'd pay for the same cc's in a cruiser or standard. Sportbikes are wrecked more often than non-sportbikes. The only company in NJ that still charges around $430 per year for full coverage is State Farm. Unless they've changed their policy recently, you have to insure your car with them to get motorcycle insurance. All other companies want in the $1400 range per year for a sportbike (750cc and up).
Good luck.
I go through State Farm also and its about $500 a year for my 996 Full coverage. Im in Texas.

·
Registered
401 Posts
They're all totally wacked and it will cghange almost yearly even within the same area.
I had a local company they just doubled my premium one year for no reason.
(no tickets no accidents for over 25 years)
So I looked around and got the best price from Progressive.
Then they went up last year out of the blue.
I shopped some more and found a $300 dollar savings with Geico for the exact same coverage.(as Roto says $500 deductable makes a big difference)
I now pay $516 a year full coverage on both bikes.
But I also check prices every year in the spring (when riding season starts here) for quotes because you never know you might find a better deal.
Currently Geico still has the lowest rate for me, just shopped around again last week, so I paid for another year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I realize this doesn't apply to most of us, but

If you serve or have ever served in the armed forces, go with USAA.

I pay $98 twice yearly for my Duc, and less for my older Beemer.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brian where are you from?

i'm gonna make a lot more calls tomorrow... thanx for all the help guys!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am in so california and am entirely happy with GMAC (National General). I think you need a application number to be able to apply but they are easy to get, I think rider magazine has their flyer. I am paying 285.00 a year and it breaks down like this:

02'Ducati ST4S - $229.00 with comp & collision
88' KLR650 $30.00 (yes, thirty) liability only
02' XR400R $26.00 (yes, twenty six bucks) liability only

$500 ded; 100,000/300,000 50,000 property damage.

I've told this story on here before but it cracks me up so here it is again:
When I just had the duc and was adding the klr on my account the insurance went DOWN...they sent me a refund check for $18.00 because the multiple bike discount was more then the additional $30.00 of insurance. SO now I can tell the wife the more bikes I own the cheaper it is.

Look around, some carriers are set up to cater for bikes while others offer bike insurance for convenience of their customers.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was just quoted $441 or $414, can't remember, from Progressive in Connecticut for a new ST3. That'sa single bike, single rider household.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
mig1221 said:
Seems a little high. I have 1998 748 in the Chicago area & I pay $350/year for full coverage. I told them the value of my bike was $8000. Mine is through State Farm where I also have homeowners ins, wife's car & ring. Shop around you should be able to find a better price.
When I bought my first Ducati SS in '97, Progressive wanted $1200 yr. At the time I was 51, no accidents and a MSF Instructor. I went with my car insurer, State Farm, for $385 yr., full coverage, year round. They've insured me ever since. I now have a '02 998 covered for the same price. This is in CT near UCONN. One thing though: State Farm only writes motorcycle insurance for their car customers.

bruce19

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mine is $166 per year, full coverage, for an '05 ST3 in East-central Illinois. Carrier is Pekin, purchased through independent agent. Also have house and 2 cars with full coverage through same company.

Bill 'ducsbill' W.
'05 ST3, Black

·
Registered
50 Posts
Insurance

I paid $365.00 full coverage for the year and I am in the same area you are. Keep in mind the higher the displacement of your bike the more you'll pay. I have a 748 which is where I guess the savings is. If you want more info let me know, I went through a brokerage that is hooked up with the dealer I bought my bike from and am covered through AIG.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.