Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride an 01 ST2 and am looking for another toy. I ride with a group of aggressive street riders who also do a number of track days. I have never done a track day but enjoy a spirited ride and am looking to do some track days this year. Most of them ride Jap 4 bangers. I am looking to get a monster that has enough HP to keep up for the most part in the straights and that I can run some track days on. Most people seem to tell me I am looking at the wrong bike and I should get an SV650 or the other extreme and get a liter Jap bike. I really love my current Ducati and can't bring myself to move to a 4 cyl. Feel free to be straight with input. I'm looking for year make and what to watch for and or that I am out of my mind a move onto a 748 or 996 or something. I like the styling of the Monster's and want to use it for street riding too though... I have 16 years riding experience and am not looking for a drag bike I like the twisties better then the straights just don't want to be left in the dust in the straights. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really like my S4Rs and I guess your can find one at a decent price. You'll probably be dead before exploiting 100% of the bike capacity.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should clarify in a couple areas:). I don't think I have the potential to max out most any bike out there. On my 80 something HP ST2 I have no problem keeping up for the most part until a long straight and wouldn't mind a little bit more umph.

Also my budget is limited to under $5000 or so. I would love an S4Rs but don't think that I will be able to touch one in my range :).

·
Registered
923 Posts
S2R1000 might suffice....but really if you want the power, an older s4 monster (996 desmoquattro motor) might be a cheaper option....

·
Registered
923 Posts
03 to 06 i think? and thats still called an s4r with the 996 motor i believe.

i think s4 was before that with the 916 motor..pre 03, no single sided swing arm.

as you can tell i don't know a ton about pre-07 4 valves monsters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i was going to say street fighter, but not for that budget.... you might be able to find a honda 919 if you like the naked bike styling...

·
Registered
923 Posts
quick way for me to tell between the s4r Testastretta, and the s4r Desmoquattro are the wheels and how skinny the cam belt cover is on the Desmoquattro compared to the Testastretta. and the Testastretta monsters had the deep sump motor.

(916)

(996)

(998/999)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've got an 01 S4, and on a tight road it works pretty well, it's got an Ohlins shock and a Race Tech built set of forks, on bumpy roads it's great. When the roads open up though, the big bores put the motor on me, especially over 130 or so, where I'm almost topped out. I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 919??? :). I rather wait and save more. I want a twin for sure and I really want a Ducati.

Thanks for all the input I know more what I need to watch for which will help me figure out if my budget is unrealistic and waiting is the name of the game.

·
Registered
923 Posts
good call man. i think an s4/r will do what you need it to do...

i am in the same boat right now...want another bike for more comfortable city driving..well it has to be another duc to go with my 999. so the waiting game begins..:p

·
Registered
998 Posts
Look for the S4 with the ohlins and the 996, might find one in your range while saving up. Given what you say about your riding, I think that will be more than enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts