Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Bought an used Monster 1200 today. After everything was signed and what not, the Ducati dealership handed me a single key. I asked for the duplicate key, he said there was none. I took the bike and came home

Now I have learned about the Red key and what not. Needless to say I am frustrated at the dealer not being explicit about this. What options do I have to sort this out? Do I have any leverage here?

·
Señor Member
8,204 Posts
Oops.. False scare :)

:ROFLMAO:
Explain yourself, does that mean there’s no issue or one key is good enough? See noob, you look for help then act as if nothing is wrong with no further explanation.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
Lol. It means there is no red key. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my question was not completely stupid then. At least the answer was not so obvious.

2014+ monsters don’t have the red key. All they come with is two black keys..Red keys were likely during 2000s and early 2010s

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not! Hmm. Didn’t know it existed until now.
I don’t know the PIN code either. I got to call them on Monday I suppose

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Before you blow a gasket try 1234 for the PIN if that doesn't work try the last 4 of the VIN.

t_bare

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did already :)

What is frustrating is that this comes from the dealer. I preferred the dealer over private parties to avoid these exact issues.

Worst case I will have to try all 9999 combos.. And that would need a lot of beer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on a very nice Monster. Did you receive a code card with your paperwork?
Looks like there is no code card anymore, just the 4 digit PIN. I will call the dealer on Monday and see what they come up with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As the trendy phrase goes, ‘it’s not a problem until it’s a problem.’
If you hit a dead end w dealer, SOS Diagnostics in Portland is very familiar with what you need done to obtain the code. All of this advice is coming from a guy with a spotless 1098 Streetfighter without a code card! Eh, in my case the dash gets removed and sent out for a new code to assigned to it. Winter project? Yeah why not?

·
Registered
1994 Ducati Super Sport 900 CR
69 Posts
Hi guys,

Bought an used Monster 1200 today. After everything was signed and what not, the Ducati dealership handed me a single key. I asked for the duplicate key, he said there was none. I took the bike and came home

Now I have learned about the Red key and what not. Needless to say I am frustrated at the dealer not being explicit about this. What options do I have to sort this out? Do I have any leverage here?
You mean kind of like the Dodge Hellcat? It has the measly 500hp key and the 700hp key. Question, why does anyone want the 500hp key? HA!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why these simple things got to be this tough is beyond my imagination. Atleast I am happy that my bike does not have a red key or a key code card. Anything for security and peace of mind I suppose!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay finally! I called the dealer and they were pretty chill about this. They said I could bring the bike in and they could reset it for me.
Thanks for all the responses here. I had really freaked out at the start with all the red key code stuff.

And a shout out to Lynwood motoplex here in Seattle for the willingness to fix this for me without any hassle. I will come back and post a final update once it is all done!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As the trendy phrase goes, ‘it’s not a problem until it’s a problem.’
If you hit a dead end w dealer, SOS Diagnostics in Portland is very familiar with what you need done to obtain the code. All of this advice is coming from a guy with a spotless 1098 Streetfighter without a code card! Eh, in my case the dash gets removed and sent out for a new code to assigned to it. Winter project? Yeah why not?
That blows.

I am glad I did not go for the bikes with the red key. I was seriously considering the older gen monsters until last week. Not knowing much about Ducatis, there was a very high chance of me ending up with the same issue!

·
Registered
291 Posts
That blows.

I am glad I did not go for the bikes with the red key. I was seriously considering the older gen monsters until last week. Not knowing much about Ducatis, there was a very high chance of me ending up with the same issue!
I have a Hyper that should have the red key but doesn't. There's a local guy here who makes duplicates with some neat high tech equipment that reads the original key. I got a spare made for 50 bux.

Not so worries about it anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts