Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to know if I could pick your brain on a oil leak that has developed on my bike.
So last year, during a routine oil change I finally undid the oil screen (the rod). I normally change the oil and filter. The only time I have not changed the oil was for its 600 mile service.

Anyway, every time I go to get her out of the garage I see a puddle under oil pan. Now when I look to see the source of the leak, it looks like its dripping is near the oil filter. Changed oil filters thinking that was the problem but it continued.

1. So there a special washer for the oil screen?
2. Do I have the oil too loose/tight, what is the correct torque?
3. How do I detect if its coming form the engine case?
4. What is the level of difficulty of re applying head sealant? Major but simple procedure?
5. Any thoughts where it could be coming from? How can I detect it?

My bike is an 05 w/4k miles. I use 20-50 Royal purple oil and K&N oil filters. I will try to post pictures soon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you change the washers on the oil drain plug and mesh filter plug? If this is the shallow sump motor they should be torqued to 42 Nm. The manual lists the oil filter at 11Nm, but I just do the 3/4 turn after it makes contact. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Are you sure the old oil filter (black rubber) washer isnt stuck to the motor? I had that happen once....didnt even know it until I saw drips!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Do you park it on the side stand (angle) or rear stand (vertical). Should help in detection.

If vertical and a small leak, it will most likely trail to the center of the engine to the lowest point before accumulating and dripping, but if excessive will probably (but not always) drip directly from the source, or at least closer to the source, say like from the screen gasket that can deform and not seal.

If parked on the side stand, it could be trailing from screen filter to the center of the engine possibly looking like the filter. If it’s coming from the spin-on filter, it will usually stay confined to the filter cavity.

Like Viper1 referred to, if the old oil filter o-ring stayed in place (stuck to the case) then a new oil filter is installed, the 2 o-rings (filter gaskets) will usually deform and the seal will fail. BUT, when under pressure would blow out and you would have a massive leak draining your sump of oil.

You really need to clean the area of all oil and dirt and take a closer look, really close look. If there is some dirt and it leaks enough, the oil will usually create a clean path through the dirt.-- just follow the trail.

If the oil filter isn’t tight enough it could also leak just a little, but a second filter does the same?

Sounds like something other then the spin-on filter since it (appears to) leak more while sitting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts