Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I need your help again. When inserting the key and turning it on, I am not getting anything. Even the pump is not priming.:confused:Battery is still good. 95% charge. Its Yuasa and only two years old. I checked the only three Fuses that I see right by the battery. All seem fine.

I am not to savvy with motorcycle electronics, so please don't hesitate to give me detail instructions. You won't offend me. Talk to me like I don't know nothing. Which I don't. I don't know how many total fuses there are and where these are located. I don't know which relay's to check or what they look like. Or the solenoid.

I park the bike in the public garage, where its safe. But couple weeks ago, one of the attendance had to move the bike.:mad:I am not sure how he did that. Whether he tried to start the bike and accidentally slid another bikes key and set of my immobilizer off. Could that be the case? And I have to now look for my red key to reset it? Or he maybe screwed my Stand switch, which is probably causing that?

Or is this all just some corrosion that I have to find it and fix it? Or is it my starter? Please help.

Its a 2004 999.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you check the kill switch?
Not quite. I didn't open it up yet. I just wiggled :) the wires in the back.
What shall I do? Open it up? Is it easy to figure it out or requires science just like anything else on Ducati? ;)

Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
im not suggesting you start pulling things apart. :) first look for the simple things. toggle the kill switch. look to see if your ignition switch is not the problem etc. too often i see people looking at the potential big problem first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not suggesting you start pulling things apart. :) first look for the simple things. toggle the kill switch. look to see if your ignition switch is not the problem etc. too often i see people looking at the potential big problem first.
Yes. I plan to do that tomorrow on my day off. But if I am getting nothing, no juice , nothing turns on when I turn the ignition, then would that still be the kill switch or ignition?

Or is this a fuse issue now that I have checked the battery which is fine? Or maybe corrosion cable? Maybe the Stand Switch?

Thanks

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I would say that your battery is not 95% charged. The only way to tell is to take it to a shop and have them test it on a pro instrument or buy another and have it 100% charged.
I found that my Yuasa did not even remotely fully charge when I used a Deltrin Battery Tender Jr. What does your dash volt meter read. If it's anything below 12V there's a good chance you won't get much if anything out of the starting system. Are you getting dash lights?
Things you can do are:

Check the battery connections, make sure they are tight.
Check the battery ground wire which is fastened into the horizontal cylinder base on the left side (shifter) of the bike.
Check your starter lead to solenoid. Starter is on the right side under engine below oil fill hole.
Check all relays.
I would double check the battery 1st.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say that your battery is not 95% charged. The only way to tell is to take it to a shop and have them test it on a pro instrument or buy another and have it 100% charged.
I found that my Yuasa did not even remotely fully charge when I used a Deltrin Battery Tender Jr. What does your dash volt meter read. If it's anything below 12V there's a good chance you won't get much if anything out of the starting system. Are you getting dash lights?
Things you can do are:

Check the battery connections, make sure they are tight.
Check the battery ground wire which is fastened into the horizontal cylinder base on the left side (shifter) of the bike.
Check your starter lead to solenoid. Starter is on the right side under engine below oil fill hole.
Check all relays.
I would double check the battery 1st.

Hey ZDM,

Thanks for the reply. Yes. I pulled the battery out and took it to the shop where I was going to buy a new Battery. He placed the meter on it and it read 12.5 Volts. The battery is totally fine.

I am not getting any dash lights. Nothing happens after I turn the key to On.

I will check the starter, solenoid and the relay tomorrow and will post here. Hopefully its some easy fix.

Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am not getting any dash lights. Nothing happens after I turn the key to On.
If your not getting anything when you tun the key on it's the battery or the connections to it. how long since the bike has run? was it on a battery tender?

What I would do is try to boost it from a car (with the engine off) If it starts the battery is the problem. As an FYI I just checked my 749 and it 13 volts.

If I were a betting man I would say your battery is pooched.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When you re-fitted your battery and attached the earth lead did you get a spark, if so all is well, if you didn't then is sounds like a bad or broken earth lead, my 2004 was very well looked after but the earth lead had corroded away

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Checking the battery and verifying that it's 12.5 with no load doesn't mean it's fine. Should have performed a load test. I would try a jump and see.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bet it is the ground wire from the battery.
Have you checked the fuse?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I went down to check all the fuses first. The 40 Amp under the battery for rectifier is good. So I went to check all four fuses by the headlights. And the last one, which is only 3 amps for Instrument panel, was blown. Took the bus to the shop and picked one up. Cleaned all and installed the new fuse. Put the battery back together. Turn the key, still nothing. Decided to check the same fuse and the new fuse was blown again. So we know the problem is something is shorting and won't let the instrument panel work and its blowing the fuse, but what?

Anyone any ideas? I have no idea where to even begin looking. I am running out again to buy more fuse's before the store closes. But I will come back up to see the post before I install another fuse and blow that too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It could be a wire that's rubbed through the insulation and is grounding out on the frame. If you have a voltage tester and a wiring diagram, you can do a simple continuity test on all of the instrument panel wires. Make sure you disconnect the battery first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a jump start with a car and nothing. So we know now for sure its not the battery.

Unscrewed the Ground wire at the frame and cleaned it up. But ran out of time as it got dark. So see what I find today. Will keep you informed.

It couldn't be my ECU? Could it? Correct? Would it have the same symptoms if my ECU was fried?

Please tell me its not the ECU??

·
Registered
315 Posts
Please, for the love of your wallet, stop trying to start the bike.

I can speak first hand, fire on a ducati is not a fun thing to clean up.

Pull the ENTIRE lower wiring harness. The whole damn thing, seriously. You are going to notice it is very dirty, grimy, and for lack of a better term... kind of icky.

Go buy some of the electrical tape that doesn't have the glue on it, but it just sticks to itself. Pull all the old wrap off (you'll notice yours is frayed and worn) and make sure it is the hi temp stuff. Spend an evening taking pictures of the way it is laid out behind the better box, then start pulling everything out. At every single point of connection imaginable, start using lead cleaner for autozone on it. Spray it, soak it, scrub it, then seal it.

Biggest point I can make is, be sure, and I mean VERY very sure that both your grounds on the bike are spick and span. You do not need your bike shorting out more, or even getting to the point where it IS running and then causes resistance in the lines... aka your positive wire and overheats it. It will melt. It will sever. It will drop molten copper wherever it can. And most of all, you will have to learn to crimp at that point.

I have new earth and positive wires and terminals in my loom now and I am always running between 14.3 and 14.4. Much better than at any point I have had the bike in the last 2 years.

I may have some more info and pictures in my blog you could check out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TheSouthAfrican, thanks for the advise and u were right on the money.
First of all, I didn't have ANY juice. Did not kept on trying to START the bike, as you put it. Was just turning the key. Apparently the main wiring harness is fried. I am sorry to see yours caught on fire. I guess I was lucky?

I am not sure how that happenned? I guess it was getting hot slowly at a time. I rode one Sunday, parked the bike, everything was fine. No burning smell. Went to start the bike a week later on a Sunday, and that's when there was nothing when turning the key.

Does this mean my ECU is fried too?

By the way, does Charlie you mention on your blog, live in NYC?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Charlie is in VA here with me, he is about 3 hours north of me closer to DC.

Your ecu is not necessarily fried, the wiring going may actually have saved it. But, then again it is always completely possible.

It took me some time to really settle on a "reason" this could have happened. Diagnosing after the fact is a bit easier though. So now, I'm pretty convinced that it is a combination...

Bad wrap job - dirty wires +
Dirty terminals and grounds +
Resistance in the system from those two things =
HEAT.

The way it happened with me was the same as you, it is possible the ecu ground was loose as well. I noticed my bike would lose power at times going up hill, it died probably 3 times before it finally kicked the bucket completely. Then I thought it was a vermin that had chewed on my pos wire... neeeope, just melted through from all the resistance in the system.

How can I help?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glad you have found the problem mate, you had a lucky one there.

You have 2 choices now by a new loom £260.00 or do as i did and get a second hand one for £50.00, second hand looms can be a risky choice, just saying.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Charlie is in VA here with me, he is about 3 hours north of me closer to DC.

Your ecu is not necessarily fried, the wiring going may actually have saved it. But, then again it is always completely possible.

It took me some time to really settle on a "reason" this could have happened. Diagnosing after the fact is a bit easier though. So now, I'm pretty convinced that it is a combination...

Bad wrap job - dirty wires +
Dirty terminals and grounds +
Resistance in the system from those two things =
HEAT.

The way it happened with me was the same as you, it is possible the ecu ground was loose as well. I noticed my bike would lose power at times going up hill, it died probably 3 times before it finally kicked the bucket completely. Then I thought it was a vermin that had chewed on my pos wire... neeeope, just melted through from all the resistance in the system.

How can I help?

Hey TheSouthAfrican,

Thanks for the help offer. I am not sure if I have the guts to conquer it myself. Maybe send it to a shop and pay outrageous $$$ amount in labor.

How long did it take you to redo the main wiring harness? Did you buy a new set or used? I have seen some on Fleabay but I am not sure if its a good idea to get a used set, just like "masterbish" mentioned in his post too.

Do you think its easy enough for me to try and do it myself. I know I will have to pull everything out such as gas tank. How about tools? Any odd ones that I will need?

Is their a detail instructions or a manual that explains and shows how to install it?

I would love to get all these info from you and some feedback, so I can make the decision if I should try and do it myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I pulled it all myself. Take plenty of pictures. The gast tank will have to be removed, as well as the front fairing and side air runners (Just clean your air filters while you take everything off)

This allows you to pull the airbox up enough to slide the vertical cylinder's wiring around the oil line bolt on the gear shift side of the bike. The rest is pretty simple, I am pretty sure it is impossible to fuck up where you plug things in on the bike. And it gives you a chance to re-wrap everything on the bike because it definitely needs it.

If you could take lots of pictures for yourself and take out the wiring harness and have it still connected to the battery box, and take even more detailed photos of the damage, I can ASK and see if my buddy charlie can help you out. If not, I have the tools and know how now to take care of anything. Wish you were closer, I could knock this out in a weekend.

By the way, I did this all with hand tools with the bike on the kickstand in my garage. You will need a garage and plenty of soft space for all of your valuables to sit while you finished everything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts