Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I bought a Nichols light flywheel for my S4RS took it to a local shop to have it installed got the bike back rode it to work and back one time a couple short trips to the store went to start the bike and the starter motor spins freely but wouldn't turn the bike over, I figured it was a starter sprag so I took it apart to change the sprag but what I found when I pulled the cover the flywheel came off with the case so the flywheel nut was either not tightened properly or no loctight anyway the spline on the crank ate the teeth off the new flywheel the shim that goes against the motor was mangled,broken in half laying in the bottom of the case I found another piece of it in the oil but still missing a good sized piece, aluminum pieces all over, if you look at the end of the crank shaft it looks like the spline is damaged I took a picture of the good spline on my other motor to show the difference, is that enough damage to hurt anything.
I don't know what to do, what rights do I have, I'm out $200.00 for the flywheel $200.00 labor an will need at least another shim and probably sprag, I am using the old flywheel and parts from my spare engine to put it back together but afaraid what will happend down the road. Any thoughts or help, is the damage to great to just put it back together?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
This frightened me greatly, I was going to replace my sprag clutch in the morning along with adding the Nichols flywheel. Oh dear....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do it yourself you will be fine I had never been in that side of the motor and thought it would be better to just outsource it to someone who had done it before.
Lesson learned you think because you take it to a shop and have things done it will be done right, Well that is not always the case. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
This is the threadlocker to use on the flywheel nut?

I actually did some research into this as I was desirous of packing a small qty of locking compound with a product I manufacture. When you dig down through all the chaff you find that a German parent Company, Henkel AG & Company, owns the American invented and branded product LokTite but is the overwhelming manufacturer of most of the brands. There are a few Asian manufacturers but information is scarce. Interestingly enough, one of the things I learned is that I can't buy a sample size SKU from LokTite but I can buy one from Permatex that is manufactured by Henkel/Loktite. I didn't go that route however because I could not get the cost down to an acceptable point.

In answer to your question, there are some different SKU's for red locking compound but what the difference is, is not know even to the Henkel customer support staff, so I would say, use whatever Red Locking compound you find that is the cheapest. Also, based upon my experience with ancient bottles of Loktite, I don't think shelf life is an issue,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts