Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new St4 ABS that wants to turn left all by itself. The dealer found 16 psi in the front tire and the back tire slightly skewed in the swing arm. The dealer filled the front tire and adjusted the back tire. These things helped the situation but the bike still pulls to the left.
The bike was assembled and shipped across the country. Hold downs with metal hooks were attached to the frame above the rear brake master cylinder on both sides. The hooks scratched the paint but did no other apparent damage to the frame. Hold downs were also attached to the handgrips.
A visual inspection shows no bent frame or suspension components. The handlebars appear to be symmetrical.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
887 Posts
camplatz said:
I have a brand new St4 ABS that wants to turn left all by itself. The dealer found 16 psi in the front tire and the back tire slightly skewed in the swing arm. The dealer filled the front tire and adjusted the back tire. These things helped the situation but the bike still pulls to the left.
The bike was assembled and shipped across the country. Hold downs with metal hooks were attached to the frame above the rear brake master cylinder on both sides. The hooks scratched the paint but did no other apparent damage to the frame. Hold downs were also attached to the handgrips.
A visual inspection shows no bent frame or suspension components. The handlebars appear to be symmetrical.
Any suggestions?
How many miles did the bike do with the tire so low and the rear wheel crooked? The tires may have worn funny. What method did the dealer use to adjust the rear axle? It may still be a bit crooked.

If that checks out fine, you may want to loosen the pinch bolts on the bottom of the forks are re-seat the front axle.

Also, be on the lookout for a singular "click" or shudder upon initial brake application (that can be felt through the chassis of the bike). If you have this, you probably have cockeyed steering head bearings.

I'm curious, what carrier did you use for bike transport?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has six miles on it. I'm moving so I don't have time to ride it more. The bike was prepped and crated at Competition Accessories in Ohio but they never gave me the shipper info. It was delivered to Motoprimo in Minneapolis but I wasn't there at that time.
According to the info I have the forks and wheels come assembled on the bike from Ducati.
The brakes did feel odd. I'll check again when I return the bike to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
403 Posts
See if the wheels are in alignment. You said that a dealer found that the rear was skewed, but with respect to what? Maybe the ole string test to ensure that the wheels are tracking the same.
See that the bars look like they are tracking straight when you do the string thing.

Also, are the rear wheel spacers properly installed or has anything happened to them since you already saw some handling damage due to the shipping.

Let us know how you make out.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The chain adjusters were off a little side to side. Todd Fisher at Motoprimo will get the bike tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what he finds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts