Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I would like to know if I could safely my Sport Classic with my 2006 4cyl Honda Accord? I was thinking of getting a small 5'x3' trailer. I would be towing about 650 miles of super slab. Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've been towing my 999 with a Saab 9-5 (2.3t) for a while with no problems. I have a 4x6 metal ramp trailer. I've towed over 1,000 miles in a shot with no issues and a few 6hour round trips too. Check you manual for tow limits but I'd guess it would be 1,500 pounds. Get a trailer with good suspension and at least 12" wheels in my opinion.

·
Mr Leakered
8,836 Posts
I've pulled a couple yards of bark mulch behind our cars locally, up and down hills, many times. Other than the fact that the reverse gears are tall for backing up, it shouldn't be a problem to haul a Duc and some goodies long distance.

Although, I'd recommend a good trailer to do the business. I like our Habor Freight fold-up (the tiny wheel variety), but I wouldn't trust it to haul something out of the area.

If you're doing long hills, keep and eye on your water temp gauge if you have one. Maybe stop after the first hour to look things over (the car, trailer, and bike). Also, keep the speed reasonable. Small trailers get death wobbles just like motorcycles. It's one thing with a covered load of crap in the back, but an SC is something you don't want wagging around.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I will check out the manual to see the tow rating.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Be sure to really increase your preload. I think 5x3 trailer is too small to fit a Accord on. The GT should tow it fine, but you WILL have to downshift going upgrade.

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Make sure the battery is in decent condition, the extra draw from the trailer could be a bit much. Would suck to get stranded at a gas station (jump started a car with trailer the other day because his battery was down)

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I towed my bike with a Ford Escape and a borrowed trailer from VA to MA. It was a little painful. The thing that I paid a lot of attention to was tongue weight. I had to buy a wheel chock to be able to place the bike further back on the trailer to reduce the weight on the hitch. On my ST and the trailer I used, I found placing the swingarm pivot over the trailer's axle was just about right. The Escape I had was a 4 Cylinder AWD POS. I never spent so much time in the right lane in my life. I had overdrive off for most of the trip. It did it though.
Here's a pic.

Better shot of how I set the bike on the trailer.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Take that big wind sail of a tailgate off and you will notice a BIG difference especially behind a small car. I tow with one of those expanded metal trailers all the time (a 6x10) and notice the difference with and without behind my Toyota Tundra. I bet your Escape goes much better without the ramp. I know it is expanded metal and air flows through but try it anyway and see for yourself.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I towed my bike with a Ford Escape and a borrowed trailer from VA to MA. It was a little painful. The thing that I paid a lot of attention to was tongue weight. I had to buy a wheel chock to be able to place the bike further back on the trailer to reduce the weight on the hitch. On my ST and the trailer I used, I found placing the swingarm pivot over the trailer's axle was just about right. The Escape I had was a 4 Cylinder AWD POS. I never spent so much time in the right lane in my life. I had overdrive off for most of the trip. It did it though.
It's not that it's a Ford or AWD or even a 4-cylinder that's the problem... The issue is that it's a f-ing automatic.

Hey all,
I would like to know if I could safely my Sport Classic with my 2006 4cyl Honda Accord? I was thinking of getting a small 5'x3' trailer. I would be towing about 650 miles of super slab. Thanks
My wife's Toyota Yaris can tow 750lbs.

Don't necessarily go by the manual in the USA. They don't put towing cap in many cars in north america as they're afraid of litigation.
European/Asian/Australian versions of the exact same car often list 1000kg+ for small cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts